“Perfect location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nevskiy Aster

Save Saved
You added Nevskiy Aster to your Saves list
Nevskiy Aster
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bolshaya Konyushennaya St., 25, St. Petersburg 191186, Russia   |
Ranked #132 of 260 hotels in St. Petersburg
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Perfect location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Clean and functional and brilliantly well located - the Winter Palace is just a stone's throw from your doorstep. A good breakfast too, and polite and professional staff. Drawbacks: the room was cramped and decidedly in need of some refurbishment, the heating system (although not needed at the time) looked somewhat antiquated, the sound of other guests in the corridor was occasionally intrusive, there was no mini-bar in the room (should you want one). In short, not the sort of hotel you would expect to spend a lot of time in, but given the low cost and the excellent location a very good base from which to explore the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Nevskiy Aster, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you comments and for spending your time to share. We are glad that you were satisfied with cleanliness and everyday breakfast and thank you for appreciating professionalism of the staff. As regards rooms refurbishment, every year we renovate several rooms in each of our 8 hotels, thus most of the rooms have been already refurbished and we hope that within the next year renovation of the remaining rooms will have been completed.
Should you wish to come to St.Petersburg one more time, we shall be happy to welcome you again and hope that next time you will come you will stay at a completely new room.

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ongar, Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I had booked the hotel through British Airways for a 50th birthday treat for my husband. Having seen the pictures of the rooms and the general aspect of the hotel I had thought the room would be bigger, and to be honest as the door opened I felt a bit embarrased as it looked as if I had scrimped on the whole trip. I mentioned this to the reception but they could not change room (205).
Other than this I have no complaints. The room was clean and tidied every day. It was very quiet, being at the back. Breakfast had far more options than I could cope with and reception staff seemed helpful. It was certainly central which made it easy to walk to the main attractions.
One thing to note is that the road and square outside are undertaking extensive works making the whole area traffic free (good), but a bit muddy in places (bad). Probably finished by summer 2011, I imagine.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Nevskiy Aster, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable comments and for sharing. We appreciate your comments about cleanness of our rooms and helpfulness of our staff. We pay special attention to those two issues and are happy when our guests notice that.
As for the works outside, that is true, extensice refurbishment works are going on in the traffic area now. At the same time pavement is intact and all the surrounding shops, cafes, etc are functioning properly. We hope that by spring our street will have acquired absolutely brand new look.
with kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I'm surprised by the amount of good reviews for this hotel. I'll admit the location can't be beat but the hotel is not at all clean. I was first put into a room which was very large for a single booking but the room was as dark as a pit and smelled of mould. The mattress sank in the spot where everyone obviously sits on the bed and I had to make sure that I slept on the opposite side of the bed although there was a generally feeling I might roll into the sinking pit. The mould smell disturbed my sleep and gave me a sore throat. Mould was clearly visible in the bathroom and the smell was disgusting. There was a note on the door saying to leave the light on in the bathroom for ventilation so the hotel is clearly aware of the problem with this room (back corner next to the staff toilet). I complained to the staff and they offered to send the cleaners to fix the problem but I told them the problem could not be rectified easily or quickly and that they needed to use bleach when they cleaned. They didn’t know what bleach was. They tried to fob me off with the problem being caused by the chemicals in the water creating the mould etc. They offered to change my room which I checked first. Still the same problem of mould all around the bathroom and about half the size of the other room and bathroom but it was a lot brighter and did not seem to smell so I accepted the change. There was barely room to open the bathroom door without hitting the suitcase where the case holder was located. There was nowhere else to put the case as far as room is concerned. I travel with a small cabin size case so as you can gather this is a small room. There was barely room to get around the bed as far as space is concerned and you can dangle your feet in the shower compartment while on the loo. I don't really mind the size of the room but the cleanliness is a big problem. The curtains were greying with dust the carpet very soiled and grubby and the walls were covered in marks and very grubby. The mattress sank a bit like being in a hammock and you can feel the springs. On return to my newly acquired room on the second day I entered the building to discover the most disgusting smell of kerosene, or some similar substance, pervading the entire reception, entrance, steps, and corridors. Thankfully the smell did not seem to penetrate my room or breakfast room! Breakfast was extremely average. Better than the rural located hotels I had stayed in where stale week old bread seems to be the norm but not a patch on the other city hotels I had stayed in (Moscow and St Petersburg). I had transferred from the Moscow Hotel (Hotel Moskva) located at the other end of Nevskiy Prospekt near Ploschad Alexandra in St Petersburg to Nevsky Aster after my group tour of Russia finished. The Moskva Hotel was very good, clean, good breakfast, spacious room (I was sharing a twin) and had a fantastic view but of course the location is not right in the centre but a short underground ride of two stops from the very centre. The fare is 22 Euro cents. If you are not at all fussy about cleanliness and want to be right in the centre then this hotel might be suitable enough. If you are fussy about cleanliness and don’t like mouldy bathrooms then don’t book this hotel. You might want to try the Nevsky Sky, which although I believe is quite basic, is located just a block away and is new so that everything should still be clean and fresh at this stage. I had originally booked this hotel but had been unable to get an ensuite (you can if you book early enough and book direct). I regret that I decided to make the change to Aster much later after the original booking at Sky.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevskiy Aster, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review. I was distressed and bewildered when I read it. That is true, our hotel is not brand new and is located in the old historic building. Also quite correct is that the rooms are not large, but we have never had such complaints about cleanness. Our Executive Housekeeper checks the rooms regularly and sees to it that the rooms are properly cleaned and any old and/or broken equipment is replaced with new one in time. I believe this is the reason why we receive those numerous good reviews you have mentioned in the very beginning of your own review. Having read your review I went to inspect the rooms and found no sagging mattresses or dirty curtains. I am really sorry that you did not at all like your stay with us. On our part I can promise that we shall keep a closer look on the guest rooms in order to protect our guests from any negative experience.
On behalf of our team I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for the time spent to write the review.
IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Excelent Stuff made our 2nd Honeymoon a dream.They decorated our room which waited ready for us at 9am.Stuff was exeptionaly helpfool in every aspect.The room is specious enough and equiped with everything you need to spend a plesent stay.The location is the best you can ask for in Petersburg.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our staff. It is very gratifying to learn that we contributed to the success of your second honeymoon. We hope that when you start making plans for your third honeymoon, you will choose one of our hotels, and we shall as always do everything we can to make your third anniversary a dream too.

Deputy director
Aktau, Kazakhstan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

max 2- star hotel. Room#105: awfull smell in the bathroom. Beds were very narrow and noisy. Not even 1 chair or armchair in the room. After 3 trips to reception finally got the key to the room and 2 external doors. Huge bags in the narrow hallway were obstructing the way to the door of the room. Breakfast was just about OK.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sammamish, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

The Nevsky Aster is about two minutes down a side street from Nevsky Prospect, and about a five minute walk from the Hermitage, which makes is a GREAT location. The hotel itself is in a courtyard, which makes the rooms very quiet. Every room is very comfortable, and some have jacuzzi's! What makes this hotel so great though, is the front desk staff. I got sick while I was there, and Marina helped me to find medicine, helped me find places to go, and generally just took care of me. Yana and Veronika were also very helpful, funny, and very friendly! They all speak English very well, and can help you find places to go, things to do, and help figure out any problems you may have. I highly recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Sioto_on_line from Zena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

In the center of Peter, good prize and good services, when I'll back in Peter I'll go for sure in this hotel

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Nevskiy Aster? Share your experiences!