“Better than the hermitage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of State Russian Museum

State Russian Museum
Inzhenernaya St., 4 | Metro: Gostiny Dvor, Nevskiy Prospekt, St. Petersburg 191011, Russia
8 (812) 595-42-48
Ranked #9 of 1,163 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Countless masterpieces, ranging from 12th-century icons to 20th-century paintings, are displayed at this important art museum housed in the splendid and historically significant Mikhailovsky Palace.
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Better than the hermitage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ok, so in terms of content that is clearly not true. But as a visitor I felt I got a better feel for Russia and the national identity and heritage than from the Hermitage which is simply huge and grand and not full of Russian art or artifacts to the same extent. Ideally go to both. Several times.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Paris, France
13 attraction reviews
“A very good museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I did not know much about russian modern art and this museum is perhaps one of the best places I have been to learn a bit about it. And at the same time I found the staff much more friendy than in the Hermitage.

Hungerford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Well worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I knew nothing about Russian Art - but it is well worth visiting if only to put the artists on the map - they ought to be far more widely known

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Time well spent, very pleased the hermitage was closed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I spent 3 nights in Russia which really isn't enough time to see everything. I had wanted to go back through the hermitage museum on my own as I felt rushed with my husband. On Monday (our last day) we decided to split up and visit different attractions however when I got to he hermitage it was closed. I decided to head to the Russian museum and was very pleased I did. The art is more modern and contemporary steering away from the biblical depictions and naked cherubs. I think there really is something for everyone's tastes there and you could go about at a leisurely pace without the crowds. So many great Russian artists I had never heard of, thank goodness the hermitage was closed!

Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
“Go for the Folk Art”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We really liked the Tretykov in Moscow which also showcases Russian art, but we didn't fall in love with this museum. We love Russian icons and the State Russian Museum has very few, especially compared to the Tretykov or Novgorod. On a more positive note, the folk art was amazing. If I were to do it again, I would start with the folk art and skip many of the other areas. The folk art collection is varied and extensive and gorgeous.