“Perfect for a business stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Helvetia Hotel

You added Helvetia Hotel to your Saves list
Helvetia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marata St., 11, St. Petersburg 191025, Russia (Vladimir)   |
Ranked #14 of 276 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Munich, Germany
“Perfect for a business stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Ideal location, nice rooms, prices for St. Peter absolutely ok.
The only drawback, they should not allow people to smoke in the hotel bar / restaurant which is also the place for breakfast. When you have an early meeting it's awfull to have breakfast in a smokey dump. If possible, book a room without breakfast and get a coffe elswhere...

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

St Petersburg can be overwhelming, but when you get in the courtyard you forget it all and feel as you are going back in time, yet you are very close to the Nevsky Prospekt and Majakovsky metro. The hotel wisely uses old buildings maintaining their charm but with all mod-con. Two nice restaurants. Perfect for both business and tourism.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I travelled to Saint Petersburg to visit a friend between the 21st to the 28th of September 2013 and after reading the fair reviews on Trip Advisor decided to stay at the Helvetia Hotel. The location is excellent for the metro and access to Nevsky Prospekt.

This was my first ever trip to Russia and I have very limited Russian Language experience so it was so nice that Maria Gorelova from the hotel team actually helped me from day one. Maria was there assisting me arrange the travel invite to Russia and voucher which I needed for my Visa. She also helped arrange a transfer to the hotel from the airport and back again on my last day. Perfect professional service from both Maria and the blonde lady Anastasia (I didnt get her last name) who helped me with the Wi-Fi and my request to find me a bar showing the football in the city. (They always went the extra mile and are both a real asset to the hotel).

A great greeting on my arrival, no issues when I was in the hotel and it was great staying in such lavish surroundings. The quality of cleaning was also of a very high standard. I felt I got value for money.

In all I was really happy with my decision to stay at the Helvetia Hotel on my first visit to Russia as having the staff there made me feel safe and secure.

I'm possibly travelling back to the city for summer 2014 and I will definitely be staying at the hotel again. So I suppose that's the best review / recommendation / advocacy I can give. If you are a first time traveller to the city and have very limited Russian then really consider the Helvetia.

Best wishes

Jason

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Medford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

From your greeting when you walk into the lobby to your check out, the staff here could not be nicer or more professional. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. They thought of every detail including comfy slippers, a plush robe and, of course, chocolates on the pillow. We found the area to be quiet and safe. The restaurants in the hotel were delicious and moderately priced. After the rude treatment at our hotel in Moscow we were relieved to find every member of the staff warm and welcoming. They helped us navigate the city very easily. It is not inexpensive but it was money well spent. We would return to this hotel without question if we ever visit St. Petersburg again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Jacked up prices and big crowds can leave travelers to St. Petersburg in the summer months feeling abused. Thank goodness I found this gem of hotel, which is warm, personable and welcoming. I got a reasonable deal on Expedia and that is probably why my room was tiny. But I didn't mind because what it lacked in size it made up for in style, comfort and thoughtful design. You would think the furniture was made specifically for this room, allowing for appropriate work space, storage and rest. The bathroom was well equipped too - hair dryer, good lighting, water pressure and towels. The comfortable bed and sheets made for a great 3 nights of sleep.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the train station, only a problem if you have lots of luggage, but if you have a roller bag you can get there quickly. The entrance is located inside a delightful courtyard, probably a remnant of the original historic mansion from which it was created. In the wing where I stayed, the elevator stops between floors, so either you or the porter will need to drag your bags up or down a half flight of stairs.

The staff were polite and efficient, offering me a glass of champagne on arrival and coupons to their affiliated restaurants. I spoke Russian with them and had a great experience, but they seemed well equipped to communicate in other languages with guests.

The buffet style breakfast (included) was more than sufficient and varied. My only suggestion would be to opt for an espresso, Americano or cappuccino instead of a filter coffee, which was not very tasty.

Room Tip: I did not get to see the other rooms, but as I noted my small room was so well organized and comfort...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great beds, clean rooms, a wide range of choice at breakfast
The only strange that you have to pay for the whole stay when you arrive without showing your room, maybe this is usual in Russia
However, what we got we were satisfied with everything

• Stayed August 2013
Hartland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We liked this hotel very much. The service was excellent and the rooms were very nice. The location was OK, but a long walk to the main attractions in the city. There is a really good restaurant nearby called CAT.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Helvetia Hotel? Share your experiences!