This hotel overlooks possibly the busiest road junction in St. Petersburg so traffic noise is an obvious problem, especially during the white nights season. Despite the fact that the group had requested rooms at the back of the hotel away from the main street, 18 people checked in and I think 17 requested another room the next day because of the traffic noise, The 18th was the only person to have such a room. Lucky her.
The bathroom had been refurbished and was of a good standard but the windows in my room did not fit and had to be wedged shut with paper, the paintwork hadn't seen a damp cloth for a very long time and the wet patch by the window was the result of a leaking radiator.
The default response to any request seemed to be 'no'. Even though we knew they had a hair dryer and a large safe, we were told they did not. When a request was made to see the manager, we were initially told there was none, then that the manager would only be in the main building on Tuesday, two days after we had left.
There is no social space in which to sit and wait for a group to gather and there is no restaurant at the annexe but, having experienced the quality of the breakfast, that may well be an advantage as you have to eat elsewhere. We had had a very good hotel in Moscow where perhaps we were spoilt but any hotel which cannot rustle up a decent slice of bread in the morning is pretty poor and this really was pretty poor.
We were not an awfully demanding group of people and we were aware that our expectations of customer service needed to be adapted for Russia but the staff here were either deeply personally troubled or had had no customer training. Whatever the circumstances, this is not an hotel anyone would recommend to a friend unless they were deaf, could live on porridge and were immune to a level of surliness fortunately not typical of all we met in St Petersburg. Stay elsewhere and enjoy a wonderful city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All rooms at the hotel are equipped with telephone, refrigerator, satellite TV and Internet access. Guests are offered accommodation in single, double or triple rooms, for an extra fee an additional sleeping place can be placed in a room of each category.The hotel provides a wide variety of services for holding business events, exhibitions and congresses. There are 8 conference halls with capacity from 25 to 100 places and 5 meeting rooms with capacity up to 25 seats. The hotel provides all the necessary equipment.Every morning for hotel guests the restaurant serves a Breakfast buffet. There are two halls in the restaurant: for 70 and 200 guests, and a VIP-hall for small banquets (16 people max.).In the evening of Thursday and Friday there is live music in "Assembly", musicians perform jazz, blues and classical compositions.Major shopping centers are located here, famous sights of Saint-Petersburg, such as Hermitage, Kazan Cathedral, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in a short walk from the hotel. It takes around half an hour to get to the airport “Pulkovo” by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Oktiabrskaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oktiabrskaya St Petersburg
- Oktiabrskaya Hotel St Petersburg