I was in town for work and stayed at the hotel along with my colleagues. I was a bit scared going in after reading the reviews but thankfully it seems to be a more of a question of expectations vs. reality than actual poor quality of the hotel.
The lobby is quite big and tries for the Russian grand feeling. I didn't see any prostitutes hanging around at any point. Check-in for our group was smooth as we had payed in advance and were all part of the same booking.
There are plenty of lifts which operate quickly so we got to our rooms quickly as well. The corridors are massive and undoubtedly take you back to Soviet times but it's an architectural feature in itself.
The rooms are basic, with carpets and stuffy air. The a/c does help as does opening the windows if you're willing to tolerate the street noise for a while. The bed was also too firm for my liking.
On a positive note, there were a few English-speaking channels (even if just news, it's nice amidst all that Russian) and the wifi was very good (just remember to ask for the codes downstairs at the reception). The rooms was quiet, street noise or the other guests didn't stir me from my sleep at any point. Also, the bathroom was kept super clean.
The breakfast was actually the best surprise in the hotel in that it was a very decent spread, spread actually across the whole breakfast hall. There seemed to be a steady flow of food and anything I tasted was good.
With that said, I went in expecting a somewhat questionable, dingy hotel. What I got was a standard East- European tourist hotel that's well operated. It's not glamorous but it does what I expected it to.
- Also Known As:
- Oktiabrskaya St Petersburg
- Oktiabrskaya Hotel St Petersburg
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All rooms at the hotel are equipped with telephone, refrigerator, satellite TV and Internet access. Guests are offered accommodation in single, double or triple rooms, for an extra fee an additional sleeping place can be placed in a room of each category.The hotel provides a wide variety of services for holding business events, exhibitions and congresses. There are 8 conference halls with capacity from 25 to 100 places and 5 meeting rooms with capacity up to 25 seats. The hotel provides all the necessary equipment.Every morning for hotel guests the restaurant serves a Breakfast buffet. There are two halls in the restaurant: for 70 and 200 guests, and a VIP-hall for small banquets (16 people max.).In the evening of Thursday and Friday there is live music in "Assembly", musicians perform jazz, blues and classical compositions.Major shopping centers are located here, famous sights of Saint-Petersburg, such as Hermitage, Kazan Cathedral, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in a short walk from the hotel. It takes around half an hour to get to the airport “Pulkovo” by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Expedia, Travelocity, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Hotel Oktiabrskaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.