“Luxurious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Grand Hotel Europe

You added Belmond Grand Hotel Europe to your Saves list
Belmond Grand Hotel Europe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mikhailovskaya St., 1/7, St. Petersburg 191186, Russia (Palace Square)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Discount on Suites
Ranked #11 of 276 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Luxurious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This beautiful historic hotel is in a great location (just off Nevsky Prospekt and near a Metro), and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Bottled water was provided free of charge and replenished daily. The WiFi was easy to use and reliable. The bathroom was large and well-appointed, and the shower was heaven! As in all high-end hotels, the restaurants are very expensive. But the staff and service was unbeatable. When we notified Reception that our room was not cool enough and requested a fan, the response was immediate. The breakfast buffet (included in our room rate) was beautifully presented and delicious, with a pianist or harpist to accompany our breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Spent one night here to get off of our cruise ship and really enjoy the city. Hotel is great, but a little over priced. We booked a delux room with a king bed. Very spacious with nice furnishings. We did enjoy the food venues. Italian restaurant is very nice and has a great menu. For a late dinner we ate at the bar. Highly recommend the Kamchatka crab club sandwich! In room breakfast was served hot and at the time we requested. One nice touch is the transportation desk which helps with taxi bookings. Great hotel, would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sydney, australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was a great disappointment to me that Orient-Express had allowed this beautiful and historic property be almost over-run by tour groups. One of the marks of a great hotel is the amount of space it provides in its public rooms and restaurants. To observe the L'Europe Restaurant being turned into a crowded railway cafeteria for breakfast was sad (as well as inconvenient) indeed!

Breakfast is a very important meal for me. I like it to be relaxed. I like good coffee and food that is of high quality and in small portions. I do not expect to have tables so close to each other that it's very difficult to move around. I do not expect to witness plagues of locusts devouring lashings of food. I know these places exist but I try to avoid them, and I would not have expected an Orient Express hotel to be one of these places. L'Europe Restaurant is a beautiful room but that's about it.

One one occasion we planned to have an early snack at the Mezzanine Cafe prior a Mariinsky performance. We we informed on arrival that the whole of the cafe had been pre-booked for a tour group. We were referred to the Lobby Bar but as it was full of nicotine addicts I was not prepared to jeopardise my own health. After a complaint to Guest Relations, we were able to have a sandwich snack at one of the other restaurants. We were clearly upset that yet again the hotel had been taken over by tour groups. Management showed little empathy for our situation whereas another top quality hotel would have tried to smooth ruffled feathers by some small acknowledgement.

On another occasion the Front Desk was unable to change a large denomination note as they had run out of change. No apology was offered by the receptionist for a situation which should never occur in a five star hotel. I can only assume that yet another tour group had depleted supplies.

On another occasion we decided to have lunch at the hotel's pavement cafe. The Maitre d' was rude and surly and declared there were no tables available when clearly there were several.

One evening we ate in the Caviar Bar and Russian Restaurant. The meal was quite satisfactory except there were only eight guests the whole evening. There was live entertainment, and we couldn't help feel a bit sorry for a very nice soprano as she tried to engage such a small number of guests. When time came to sign the bill, the waitress returned to request a tip in cash rather than charging to our account. In a five star establishment it would be fair to expect that remuneration issues are clearly sorted by management and their staff and not have such matters projected on to clients.

There were positives to our seven night stay here. The Concierge Desk was exceptionally helpful both prior to our stay and during it. Anna Mikhaylova was extremely helpful in organising tickets and private tours, and while the hotel added a hefty surcharge, it was worth it to have everything organised so well and coordinated with the hotel's limousine service. The crowds and queues at most of the places we visited were quite daunting, and it was both effective and efficient to have a private guide and driver. We very much appreciated the advice to book VIP services for arrival and departure from St Petersburg airport. The lines waiting for immigration and security were indeed formidable.

The rooms were on the smallish size for the price, but were well maintained and serviced and had good outlooks over a park and through the trees to the towers of the Church of the Spilt Blood. Given that we didn't see night-time (the white nights period) the light blockout on the windows could have been more effective. The doormen were excellent at their job as were the drivers of the hotel limousines.

This hotel has potential if for nothing else that its history and location. Unfortunately on this occasion the experience was disappointing. Even more so, because it is not a cheap hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gheurope, Hotel Manager at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Mr Cosift

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay. At Orient-Express Hotels we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests and I was sorry to read that on this occasion we were unable to do so.

The month of June is the most popular time for groups to visit St Petersburg and we had an unusually high number of group guests staying with us on certain dates. As a individual traveller, I appreciate your comments and we have put in place a limit to the number of rooms we allocate to groups in future.

I was also interested to read your other comments and I will be sharing them with my Executive Committee as we really value guest feedback as it allows us to try and exceed guest expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you once again to the Grand Hotel Europe.

Kind regards,

Yulia Pashkovskaya
Hotel Manager
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I really love this hotel, this is my fav hotel in St.Pete although I prefer small/boutique hotels - everything is just perfect here! Rooms, service, restaurants and absolutely fantastic location - between Nevsky prospekt and the Italian square.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed in a Junior Suite at the Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg, and had a very nice experience. The room had two chandeliers, high ceilings, a coffee machine, and an awesome welcome fruit basket. Even though my room faced on a very busy (shopping) street, it was completely quiet. The bathroom was nice, but not terribly large or fancy. Had several meals at the outdoor cafe -- food and drinks were good and great place for people watching. The hotel is very centrally located so we walked everywhere. Only downside of the hotel is that it is a very long building, so don't forget something in your room. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Might be worth asking for a Junior Suite. My colleagues in regular rooms were not as enthusiastic a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lacco Ameno, Campania, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel for business for almost a week. It has been almost perfect. I start from the negative points (just a couple) only to inform the management that with small adjustments the Hotel could be really perfect: I had to wait more than 20 minutes for my luggage to be delivered into the room after check-in and, even if the Hotel is quite big, this is not good for a luxury Hotel; In the bathroom there where two pairs of sleepers but they where bot for female! The same day I asked men sleepers at the reception and they where delivered immediatelly to my room.
Positive points: Breakfast is AMAZING, I also work for a luxury Hotel and I use to travel for business or leisure. Breakfast at the Grand Hotel Europe is the best I have ever experienced! A huge variety of food is available, including caviar!
I had dinner at the Caviar Bar and the very young staff really impressed me, they are very professional and perfectly trained. Many compliments to the young maitre to which, unfortunately, I have not asked the name.
Above all I have to thank the Concierge Natalia Sergeeva, she has been the best and most helpful of all the staff of the Hotel.
It is definitely one of the best Hotels I stayed in and hope to return soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a fantastic view of the Church of our Saviour of Spillled Blood and the Museum. This hotel is located just off the Nevsky Prospekt and seems to be quite well known by the taxi drivers in St Petersburg as we just needed to mention the name of the hotel. It is also close to the Hermitage, St Isaacs Cathedral and other well known attractions. The only place we needed to travel to was Catherines Palace which is about 30- 40 kms from the hotel. The hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. We did not get a chance to use the spa facilities however the sauna looked very inviting. We were there for White Nights and also lost track of the time but found the numerous restaurants so close to the hotel great as we did not have to venture far. St Petersburg is a magical city and this is a truly splendid hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Belmond Grand Hotel Europe? Share your experiences!