“Excellent location, excellent rooms, excellent history BUT needs that little bit more!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria Hotel

You added Astoria Hotel to your Saves list
Astoria Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bolshaya Morskaya St., 39, St. Petersburg 190000, Russia   |
Ranked #8 of 269 Hotels in St. Petersburg
4.5 of 5 stars 585 Reviews
Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel Astoria is one of those hotels which is steeped in history and which is legendary in its own right! Being lucky enough to stay here is a privilege for which you pay quite highly. But above all, this kind of pedigree somewhat heightens your expectations to a degree which is next to impossible to fully satisfy! Hence the "needs that little bit more"!

The Junior Suite that we were accommodated in was near perfect. The view of St. isaac's Cathedral to die for. The sleek Italian feel decor and furnishings simply sumptuous! The amenities up to par with any other five star hotel standards. The cleanliness as near perfect as can possibly be, most especially in the bathroom. The feel of the plush rooms and corridors is just right.

But unfortunately there are the usual gripes that cannot go unmentioned. There is no comprehensive directory of hotel services provided in the room. Internet / Wifi in the room is frighteningly expensive ( a much lower four star hotel in the same city provides very efficient wifi in the room absolutely free) This should be the norm in all hotels these days most especially five star ones. There were no luggage tables where one can place one's suitcase and not have it sprawled out on the floor. There was no TV in the bathroom. The supply of toiletries in the bathroom was erratic, loads of one thing and none of another - simple lack of attention and such a pity because these are very simple things to get right.

The hotel decor in all the public areas is absolutely beautiful and it does justice to the history and pedigree of this famous hotel. But again many little things can be substantially improved upon. The business centre is tiny, sporting only two relatively old pc's and no Macs and affording no privacy. The Exercise room is small and the equipment provided, particularly the weight station, is very limited. Having only one bench means that only one person at a time can be effectively using it. The Spa treatments are fine - the 90 minute relaxing massage was as good as they come and the therapist was truly excellent. But the Spa decor itself is lacking. It does not have an intimate and comfortable waiting area, the overall decor is itself not intimate and warm and welcoming. It is far too businesslike and not a cocoon of comfort as one would expect of a Spa in a five star hotel such as this one. There was also a lack of a Spa Menu which one could browse in the comfort of one's room. Only a laminated Menu is provided to you for consultation at the Spa reception.

And finally dinner at the Astoria Cafe was adequate having once again an excellence of service but a lack of originality and creativity in the menu and in the dishes. We dines in many a superior restaurant all over the city and at much more competitive prices although by no means cheap.

This is not a catalogue of failures but a genuine objective perspective as to how a seasoned traveller interprets this hotel. They do try, they truly do. The complimentary bottle of champagne and small birthday cake with a personalised card from the General Manager ( without any prompting or requests whatsoever) are very welcome gestures and help make one feel genuinely welcome. The extreme helpfulness of the Head Concierge is also worthy of mention. It is in the little things that this hotel stumbles and reviews such as this one must be seen for what they are - objective interpretations of their guests.

At this stage of the game it is imperative for the Astoria to make the extra effort and take a giant leap towards more perfection because only 50 metros away there has now been the much anticipated and awaited opening of the Four Seasons Lion Palace Hotel and if initial impressions are anything to go by, this Four Seasons hotel is set to decimate any other hotel in its vicinity, not just the Astoria but the Hotel Angleterre and the W as well.

Who said that competition isn't healthy?!

Room Tip: Junior Suite 322 or near it - great view of St. Isaac's Cathedral and recently refurbished!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feed-back about the Astoria on Trip Advisor.

We are very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. We are very proud to have celebrated the 100 years of the Astoria which coincided with end of a thorough renovation concerning both rooms and outlets whilst maintaining our heritage as an iconic hotel.

The fact that you enjoyed both the décor and the view from your room is very important to us as we know that it is very difficult to compete with our location. We are appreciative that you have noticed some room for improvement because our aim is to continuously progress in meeting the standards of our guests.
We are very happy that our small gesture of providing a bottle of champagne with a birthday cake was appreciated and hopefully helped to make it even more memorable. I will personally compliment our team concerning the quality of service which they have provided you.

We look forward to welcoming you one day back to the Hotel Astoria should you next visit St. Petersburg.

Your sincerely.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Astoria last weekend while discovering St Petersburg. I have stayed in hotels from this chain 3 times before and was very impressed with the over-all quality of their service but I would never recommend you to stay at the Astoria. The building is wonderful and with a very rich history but the service is terrible. We were paying 3 times the price a room like ours would normally cost because we decided to stay there last minute, and still every time we needed service at the restaurant we had to wait for more than 20 minutes to get their attention. We even had to go search for the waitress so she would give us the menu. The concierge made us wait for a long time while she was making reservations for dinner for a couple who explicitly said they weren't staying at that hotel but had a bad concierge at theirs. To make it even worse, we left our bags with the bell boys while enjoying our last hours in St Petersburg and they forgot to place my husband's jacket with the rest of the luggage. When I called from home to ask them to send it over, they left me waiting on the line and hung up three times on me. Then they made me call a different number where the employee didn't even speak English. Finally, after almost an hour of unpleasant calls I was able to locate the jacket and will have it sent over. In other words, if you want good service, stay somewhere else. It's a great chain, but they don't have their act together in this particular hotel. Also, they charge a lot of money for wifi.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are extremely basic. Not worth the price.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter C N, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sure you fully realize that I could not feel happy to read your record, but it is always useful to learn how our guests perceive our Hotel and to know which services need our special attention.

Your low estimate of our staff was very disappointing. We have to admit that we really have some field for perfection, but I am sure that even during your stay with us you had chance to meet quite professional representatives of our staff who were eager and able to render high standard service to our guests.
I would not deny that some staff of ours needs additional training which, believe me, we provide on a regular basis to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards.

I feel sorry that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for that.

Please let me assure you that we will do the utmost to develop and polish up our services and improve guest supplies quality to bring them up to the Rocco Forte standards and to meet all the highest demands of our guests.

In spite of your comments, we still look forward to welcoming you one day back to the Hotel Astoria should you next visit St. Petersburg, and hope that then you will be able to re-estimate all our services and change your mind with regard to our hotel. We will be working on this.

Once again thank you for your feed-back and sorry about all the inconveniences.

Should I be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Kindest regards,
Walter C. Neumann
Hotel Astoria & Angleterre Hotel
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Last nite was my last night at the Hotel Astoria in St. Petersburg, Russia and I was determined to post while I still had free internet. Here goes…

Planning a trip to Russia is complicated and so I decided to stay at a five-star hotel. The hotel concierges were wonderful, helpful and prompt in responding to my many questions and issues as they came up from the US; they couldn’t have been nicer. However, the same cannot be said about the front desk personnel who were somewhat abrupt. When I questioned the $27.00 charge per day for internet use while all other 5 star hotels in St. Petersburg offer free internet I was told that I should be grateful for the fact that my Program – they were referring to my American Express Platinum reservation – offered so many perks. I was astounded by the attitude. I am a seasoned world traveler and have been a guest everywhere… from Amans worldwide to simple bed and breakfasts; never have I encountered that kind of arrogance at check-in.

As my visit continued, I daily observed guests arguing with management over their own internet charges and other problems. A friendly smile would have been welcome. The hotel doorman upon my early morning departure also had attitude and barely lifted his head to help me with my bags at 4:30AM. In fact, I had requested coffee to go, watched the front-desk reconfirm my request with the kitchen and it was forgotten…although it was included on my bill that I had paid the night before.

Fortunately, my room on the 7th floor was lovely, comfortable and spacious with terrific views! I had a charming sitting area and wonderful shower/tub. My only complaint would be that the hotel only gives you 1 bar of soap and expects you to use body wash in the shower. Only once during my stay did they replace the used soap with another and on the fourth day, the soap bar disappeared altogether. In fact, my bath body sheet never reappeared and I was given only regular-sized towels for 3 out of 4 days. However, the cleaning staff did a terrific job and my room was always immaculate even if they did forget “turn-down” service one evening. To be fair I think it was a misunderstanding on the part of the maid-service who I asked to come back a little later.

One evening I ordered room-service; my dinner was delivered within 25 minutes with panache and a smile! The personnel in the restaurants and bar couldn’t have been nicer, although one should expect to be ignored for a while. Service in Russia has a way to go. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whether or not staff will be accommodating or inattentive. Tipping is less than subtly expected and faces are made or ignorance feigned if one asks for change. One morning I was told by the hotel clerk that she couldn’t give me smaller bills which obviously meant I would be stuck over-tipping. I persevered and somehow she came up with 500 and 100 rouble bills afterall.

Sad to say, my next encounter with attitude was in the Hotel Spa. I had made an appointment for a massage two months earlier and in fact, reconfirmed the time on the day of the massage with the concierge. However, when I arrived for my appointment the young woman behind the desk did not have me on the schedule and mishandled the situation by stating that I had not made an appointment for that time. Instead of acknowledging that the spa might have made an error and despite my offering to show her my email confirmation, she insisted that I was wrong. Fortunately, the concierge reconfirmed that I had not made a mistake. The management then offered me a massage two hours later with a 20% discount which was more than acceptable. While I was waiting, I had a terrific manicure downstairs (at my expense) with a very sweet technician. When I finally had my massage it was great and the massage therapist couldn’t have been nicer or more professional. Again, the concierge was lovely and on top of the situation!

My other tips for travelers are that….smoking is permitted almost everywhere – common areas, restaurants, rooms, elevators; be prepared..the hotel reeks of cigarette smoke. Also the gym is tiny and inadequate for an expensive hotel. If more than one person is using the equipment there could be a problem! Somewhat confusing is that a less expensive, trendy hotel is connected on the 2nd – 5th floors to the Astoria called the Angleterre Hotel, albeit with a much more lively, smoky scene. The food at both hotels is only… just ok, not exceptional and should be much better. There really is no excuse for heavily salted and over-sweetened food – not when most of the 5-star world is eating sophisticated, organic, delectable food. I had more interesting food in the far-reaches of Myanmar last year. Be prepared to wait forever for a check. Last, but not least…. if purchasing tickets to the Mariinsky or Mariinsky II theatre performances…you can do that online yourself for half the price. A hefty fee is incurred if the hotel arranges for your tickets.

Ok….so why go to St. Petersburg and stay at the Astoria or Angleterre….One should stay here because there are some very lovely staff here who go out of their way to make a single traveler happy and it’s important not to judge. Sometimes the attitude is not intended...it’s just the way culture gets translated. It’s important to remember where you are and to try to understand cultural differences without taking offense where none is intended. When I arrived, I was not feeling well and the hotel had a young woman doctor in my room within minutes! She was professional, lovely and reassured me that I would be ok. She worked at a clinic nearby that specifically treated American citizens. The hotel staff was very empathic and tried hard to make sure I was comfortable. I also had wonderful guides to the Hermitage and palaces outside the city…all arranged by different concierges. Again…I have to say that the concierge staff was outstanding, really tried hard and made a real difference in my visit to a beautiful, interesting, historical city.

Mistakes can happen, even at 5 star hotels with very expensive spas, but attitude is bad news, especially when a Four Seasons is opening across the street in the next month or two.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Hotel Astoria is a nice hotel. Its most remarkable feature is its central location, across the street from St. Isaac’s cathedral and just blocks from the Neva River and Nevsky Prospect. You pay a premium for that kind of location, but a prime location is crucial to enjoying the city.

The other standout “feature” of the hotel is its high prices. My room cost $400/night, presumably a discounted rate for the conference organizers. Internet access cost over $25/day (they had two old computers in their business center that I used instead—I never had to wait for one). Afternoon “tea” was about $40. The breakfast buffet (included in my room rate) was an astounding $40. The hotel provided room-temperature bottles of drinking water for free, but cold bottles of water in the mini-bar…well, I don’t even want to know how much mini-bar items cost. The hotel obviously catered to a different economic class of customers than me.

About the breakfast: In the Russian tradition of luxurious excess, the buffet literally was a caviar and champagne buffet. Even more conventional offerings, such as fruit and bread, were better than typical European hotel breakfast fare (although still reflecting the supply challenges of being located at the 60th parallel). I especially liked that they offered soy milk so I could enjoy a bowl of cereal. As hotel breakfasts go, this was one of the nicer ones I’ve had. However, there’s no way I would pay $40 out of my own pocket for it.

My room was decent-sized, with a king bed, a sitting chair, a desk and a decent-sized bathroom. I didn’t ask for a non-smoking room, and there was an ashtray in the room, but I didn’t notice any cigarette smell in the room (and I’m sensitive to such things). The room’s single window looked onto the busy square, but two double-paned windows successfully blocked out most of the noise.

Although there are other first-class hotels in St. Petersburg that might be nicer (the W stands out in my mind), the Hotel Astoria is an excellent choice….if someone else is paying the bills.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Walter C N, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time sharing your experience of Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria. I’m pleased to know that you have enjoyed your staying and flattered to receive your high appraisal of our breakfast and rooms.

I’m glad you found hotel’s location convenient for the city exploring. Thank you for leaving nice pictures of Astoria and your recommendations!

With best wishes,
Walter C. Neumann
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel has its classical touch. Its located opposite one of the largest cathedrals in St. Petersburg.

The elevators in the hotel are not that wide enough. The rooms have a modern classic touch. The rooms are wide. The service is great. However, I did not like the paintings which were in the room. They could have done better on that.

Another thing which I did not like was the curtains in the room, they could not stop the sunlight coming in specially in the month of June were the sun goes down at 11.30.

Breakfast service was a bit slow.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Astoria!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay in the beautiful city of St.Petersburg.

I am very pleased that you found our level of service to be great. I will personally compliment my team for this. It is important to know that you enjoyed staying in our newly renovated rooms. We will consider replacing the curtains as we do realize that some people have difficulty adapting to the long days in June.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Yours sincerely,

Bristol,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was given a 5 night stay by my family as a 60th birthday present, and they could not have chosen a better hotel. The staff were very welcoming, and our two dinners, prepared by a new chef, were a perfect fusion of traditional Russian cuisine and international, with delicious borscht, stroganoff, pavlova, presented with a light, elegant touch. The room had recently been refurbished in crisp, understated style, with a lovely photo of ballerinas to pick out the St.Petersburg tradition. Drinks in the bar area, and the feel of maintaining its long history but with a modern twist makes the Astoria a great base for this most beautiful city.

Room Tip: It is worth paying extra to look out over St.Isaacs Square and Cathedral, to watch passers by, in th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Sandy,

Greetings from St.Petersburg! I hope you are well.

That is very kind of you to point out almost all the nice things we offer to our guests, from food to views. We are glad you enjoyed a little bit of Russian atmosphere during your visiti to city of St.Petersburg. Of course we will take a good care of you anytime you wish to come back for more.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Really wonderful hotel, perfect central location, extremely helpful staff and although we didn't use it, concierge very courteous in organising restaurant bookings prior to our arrival. Exquisite rooms - had such a lovely stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time sharing your experience of Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria. I'm pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay as well as our service.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit in our beautiful city!

With best wishes,
Walter C. Neumann,

Been to Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!