“The best place - the new hotspot to stay in St. Petersburg” 5 of 5 stars

W St. Petersburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Voznesenskiy Ave., 6, St. Petersburg 190000, Russia   |
Ranked #21 of 276 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Cologne, Germany
“The best place - the new hotspot to stay in St. Petersburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

room: everything is state-of-the-art... didn't miss anything... bed is the real W quality
staff: very nice looking and very well trained... polite and open minded
MIX restaurant: food and drinks and service 150%
wifi: 100%
living room: didn't want to leave :-)
transfer service with Porsche fleet: nice but by far far far to expensive
gliss spa: wow!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Hi guidoastrid,

Thanks very much for your feedback about your visit to W St. Petersburg. I'm really glad to hear that you had a great time here and enjoyed the miX in St. Petersburg and Bliss Spa.

Hope to see you again here very soon!

Warm Wishes,
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I have stayed in W Hong Kong and in W Istanbul. Loved them both equally. So when I have decided to spend my birthday in my home city I did not need to think twice. W is the chain of hotels that you always can rely on doesn't matter in what country your stay is. W Saint-Petersburg is very new , with the best location, amazing design, and feeling of luxury. I was thrilled when I found out that W was openning one of their hotels in the city I was born in and I was absolutely sure my stay there will be great. It was an amazing time and definitely the birthday to remember.

Dear Worldtoddler,

Thanks very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the new W same as the others, like our central location, design and had a great birthday.

Looking forward to welcome you at the W St. Petersburg again.

Best Wishes,
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I saw this new property in St. Petersburg and decided to try as the location is indeed perfect - just right by Isakiy cathedral and Astoria hotel. The area is simply excellent. The rooms are rather small but very new and with this funky style that it is either you like it or hate it. I personally loved it.

What is missing is the service, although staff - very young and inexperienced are trying to help very hard, but they just do not know how. Internet is difficult to connect, irons are dirty, so I would not risk pressing my shirts, the deadlines when you need your pressed clothes haven't been met. Breakfast is really boring - it is not a buffet style, so you have to order and may be surprised how the dishes are served and often not in a pleasant way - cold toasts, waffles, for exAmple. Coffee -s so overpriced and does not really of that quality (cappuccino is 10 USD). So, you are better off with free coffee from your room which is equipped with nespresso.

At the same time I would recommend staying their as I am sure that the staff and management will pick up and improve, adding shore horn to your rooms, more coffee capsules and learn how to be on-time as it is important for business traveler.

One tip for those who plan their stay - from June 11 this hotel plans to open up a terrace and the view will be magnificent!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

This brand new hotel felt very cool and trendy the moment you walked in the lobby. The staff is extraordinarily helpful by standards of any country, and the cuisine was excellent. Best of all, it's in a great location. You can walk to the Admiralty, Hermitage, Winter Palace, Nevsky Prospekt, Yusupov Palace, Stroganoff Palace, St. Isaac's Cathedral, and even the Church of the Spilled Blood from the hotel.

Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Location is the best.....a few blocks from many of the major sights, beautiful new rooms (hotel just opened a few weeks ago), exemplary service, free business center and gym with wonderful equipment, a manager who was on site nearly all of the time and really cares about his customers....perfect is a difficult word to use, but this hotel comes close.

As an example of their caring service, our friend was not able to use the ATM machine at the hotel and the food and beverage manager walked her the one block to another machine.

The bathroom was about 6 x 15 feet with a stall shower and tub. There is separate enclosed room with toilet and bidet. Counter space in the bath room was about 6' less the sink and there was one shelf underneath. Adequate for our needs. There were huge bath towels (too big if that is possible), a magnifying mirror, hand cream, shampoo, conditioner and liquid body soap.

Our room was in the deluxe category and approximately 17 x 21 feet. There is a large hall area with closet and mini bar. A minimum of drawer space, but adequate for our needs. The room has a coffee maker and, in addition to coffee, tea is provided. There are two night stands and a small center table between our twin beds. Lighting was excellent for reading with pin spot lights in addition to night stand lamps. A Lounge chair is provided, but there is no lighting adjacent to same. A flat TV (approximately 42"). There is table under the TV with shelving. A Large mirror is also in the room and the decor of the accommodation is excellent.....tastefully very modern. Bedding was excellent

The staff is unbelievable......Extras included free apples in the lobby, free coffee in the bar in the A.M. Water bottles were provided in the room and there was always a pitcher of water in the lobby.

The gym was equipped with free weights, tread mill, bike, 2 Stairmasters, weight machines. All equipment was the best although I would have liked to see some directions for use as I was not familiar with their particular weight machines....different than what I have experienced in the U.S.

If you really want to enjoy your stay, spend some extra $$$$ on a wonderful guide. We loved Dasha (contact @gutovs.com). We use private guides in cities we have not visited before and our selection for St Petersburg was as perfect as the hotel. Dasha can't do enough to make your touring enjoyable. She has a great sense of humor, is young, vital and charming. We shared the cost with another couple who were travelling with us.

Sights we visited included: Hermitage, Peter & Paul Fortress, Alexander Nevsky Monastery. On the next day we went to Catherine's Palace and Park with the Amber Room, and Peterhof seeing the outside grounds only (wonderful fountains). We did not feel it necessary to visit the interior as we felt it would be similar to Catherine's. On the 3rd day we went to Yusupov Palace where Rasputin was murdered, St Isaac's Cathedral, and Our Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral. The amount of touring each day was perfect. We like to move at a fast pace. We stayed four nights.....if you want a more leisurely pace with time to walk the streets on your own, five nights would not be wasted. We also went to one ballet.

For dining (Ratings for Food/Ambiance/Service) plus price for two including one glass of wine, one appetizer, two entrees and once in a while a desert was shared by the four of us: Teplo 6/7/9 $46; Sadko 7/8/9 $55; Idiot 7/7/9 $55. All three restaurants were adequate. Certainly not gourmet dining, but we were more than satisfied.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

The assets of this hotel don't need to be repeated at length. All-in-all, a super-swanky, modern hotel with all the quirks and specialization that you come to expect from the W in an unbeatable location. As usual with the W, terrific personalized service combined with an ultra-modern ambiance create a unique hotel experience. It's even more of a stand-out in St. Petersburg, renowned for its old-world charm. Excellent experience!

Having said that, as a brand loyalist who wants the hotel to be all it can be, I definitely noticed some teething problems that should be ironed out as they get past their first few months of operation. Some of my observations:

1) Some worrying maintenance problems at such an early stage - one of the elevator call buttons was broken on the second floor, the closet door seemed to have trouble staying shut, and the cosmetics mirror in the bathroom wouldn't stay in a raised angle. When I inspected to see why, I realized the hinge was being propped up with a wad of tissue paper (a way of jury-rigging it so would stay upright).

2) Terrific and motivated staff but often unsure of what exactly they should be doing. When I arrived at the hotel, no one was by the door, and no one offered to help me with my luggage. The front door, which no one ever opened for me my entire stay, was extremely heavy and difficult to open with luggage. When I entered, the lobby was not particularly busy, and there were staff standing around everywhere, but nobody seemed to have clearly-defined roles. I wandered around for 30 seconds looking for the reception desk (the location of which I had to ask the waitress about), and finally, when I was almost there, about 5 different people suddenly rushed up to ask me if they could help me. Upon check-in, I was told there was a registration charge (nothing to do with the country's draconian immigration restrictions - it's a hotel policy) which I hadn't been informed about. Not a very good first impression! As I said, after this point, the service was amazing, and the hotel operator always very helpful. However, they have to figure out the lobby and ground floor service generally.

3) Something went missing from my room! It was not a big ticket item, and these things are impossible to prove, so I didn't make a stink about it, but troubling nonetheless. I had a very nice branded grooming kit, which I was 100% sure I brought with me, and I unpacked it and left it in the bathroom with my other things, as I even used it once. However, I couldn't find it after that even when I tore the room apart. As sure as I was that that I brought it with me, I figured I was having an early senior moment and left it in my hotel in Moscow. However, when I returned there, it wasn't there. I really don't know what to make of this because that would be a very odd thing to steal (even if it was a big brand), but I do know with 100% certainty that the grooming kit was there, I never took it out of the room, and it somehow disappeared during my stay. I won't hold this against the hotel because it is such an odd thing, but clearly this was not a great thing to happen during my stay.

Please W, take these comments and make this the best hotel in St. Petersburg, in-line with a terrific brand!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear BusyBusy82,

Thanks for taking your time for all feedback regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg.

I am happy that you enjoyed our central location and ambiance, but very sorry to hear that something went missing from your room. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this point with me in more details.

We appreciate all of your points and we are working hard to make W St. Petersburg the best hotel in this fabled city.

Warm Regards,
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Good points:
- fabulous design
- spacious rooms with super comfortable beds
- central location
- very professional and helpful hotel staff
- world famous spa BLISS with swimming pool
- roof top terrace with one of the best city view
- delicious food in restaurant

Bad points
- nothing

• Stayed May 2011

Been to W St. Petersburg? Share your experiences!