“The Best of Hotels” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 269 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Best of Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel was one of the best I have stayed in. It was not the usual business hotel - very much the same as all the rest - it was individual. The staff were very polite and very helpful; the Guest Relations Manager, Natalia, in particular. The food was very plentiful and of great variety. I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilyevskiy, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear MaryT7,

First of all let me thank you for staying with us at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky and for finding some time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I am so proud and happy to read your review and to hear the compliments towards our team! I will make sure to forward your words to all the staff and to Natalia, our guest relations manager in particular.

Thank you once again for you kind words and hope to see you back at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
DM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for four nights in August and would definitely recommend this hotel. Didn't get off to a good start though as we had ordered a taxi from the airport for six people and unfortunately they only sent an ordinary car. Three of our party went in it and did not enjoy the journey as the driver was constantly using his phone and then suddenly swerved off the road into a garage to check the air in his tyres! Another taxi came fairly promptly to the airport to collect the rest of us. Had lunch in the hotel when we arrived and it was very good. Our rooms were very pleasant and spotlessly clean and we were left bottled water each day. The selection at breakfast was very good and it was interesting to see a small variety of traditional Russian food. My husband who can eat most things just could not manage to eat a little pastry filled with cabbage! The porridge was excellent! The breakfast area was always very busy as there seemed to be a lot of tour groups but we did not find this a problem. The reception areas and various lounges were nicely decorated and felt welcoming. We found all the staff to be friendly and very helpful. One of them recommended a good restaurant just round the corner from the hotel which we actually went to twice as we had been out sightseeing all day and didn't want to walk too far. Hotel is in a good location convenient to most of the sights. We had to leave early on our last day and the hotel provided a packed breakfast which was a bit disappointing considering what we had experienced the previous days. The sandwiches were just two pieces of white bread with a couple of slices of ham and cheese and no butter - not very appetising. Our experience with the taxi this time was much better - a six seater and it was also great to see the city early in the morning before it was bright as all the buildings were lit up and it looked amazing. Overall I would recommend this hotel as it provided a great base for our short but very enjoyable visit to St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: Our room looked out on the courtyard and was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Evgeniya C, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilyevskiy, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Gil1956,

Thank you so much for leaving such a constructive feedback about your staying in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky. Unfortunately, your transportation wasn't organized by our concierge service, but I'm sorry to hear that you were not met properly. It is great that you liked our breakfast and variety of products we have - even now we changed it and have even more products available. One of the most important things for us is that you enjoyed the service - we train our staff on daily basis and they really care about you and your comfort during the stay.

Hopefully, you will have a chance to visit Saint-Petersburg again and you'll remember that you have a place where you're always welcomed!

With best regards,

Chirkova Evgenia.
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 3 nights with a tour group. Checking was a bit chaotic but that was because two tour buses arrived at about the same time. Because of the collection of foreign passports requirements the process took a bit longer than normal but was still accomplished flawlessly for our group. The rooms are clean and comfortable with a decent sized bathroom, plenty of hot water and great water pressure in the shower. Closet space is generous and the room has fridge, flat screen TV, desk with desk lamp and outlets nearby and free wifi that works great. The beds are comfortable with reading lamps over each. The location is just a short walk over a bridge to the city center. The included breakfast buffet is quite nice with a great variety of offerings and open from 7 to 11. Overall a very nice place. I can't comment on the value because the room was included in the tour package but I can recommend the place as a great place to stay.
If you found this review helpful, please click below.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Frenchguy48,

Thank you for spending your time for leaving a review about Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky! It is important for us to hear that you totally enjoyed our premises - our rooms and equipment, the location, the variety of the breakfast. We really care about your comfortable stay and these are one of the most important hints to achieve it. We always listen to customers needs and try to upgrade our facilities according to your requests.

You are always welcome in our hotel!

With best regards,

Chirkova Evgenia.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My Stay at the hotel was part of a package so I do not know the breakdown of costs &
consequently cannot comment on value for money.What I can say is that my wife & I were
delighted with our experience.the room wasn't the biggest we have ever stayed in but was
,extremely comfortable, spotlessly clean & had ample wardrobe space. the food was good
particularly the breakfasts & drinks in the bar were reasonably priced. The jewel in the crown
however was the service, the (young) staff were the most friendly & helpful we have
encountered. They have a real pride both in there hotel & their city & really want you to share in
there sense of belonging,
. This hotel in this city was a wonderful experience & I can't praise it too highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilyevskiy, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Edward,

Thank you for spending time on sharing your experience of staying with us with the travelers community of TripAdvisor.

I am so happy to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel, the food, your room, but what makes me happiest of all and makes me really proud is our team. I also personally strongly believe that the service thus the staff is what makes a hotel a special one.

Thank you for noticing it, mentioning it and talking about it!

Have lovely further travels and welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
Northport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The front desk staff were incredibly rude and uninterested in helping us while we were there. We asked for a cab to be reserved for us, and when we went to check out the credit card machine stopped working and we had to wait 15 minutes. We asked the employee if we were going to be charged for the cab waiting, and we were barked at with a "no!"- but of course we got to the airport and the driver demanded extra money for the wait...
When we went to the concierge to ask for help, they did make reservations and organized some things for us, but they never called to let us know about any confirmations.
The breakfast had a great variety.
Wifi in the rooms. Computer in the lobby.
The room was great- spacious, bright (good curtains though), large bathroom, great design too. Really comfortable beds!
We didn't get to use the pools/spa at the other location due to time, but it was nice that it was a possibility.
They let us check in early, but did charge us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ktitone,

Thank you for finding time to share your opinion on our hotel with the rest of TA community. We appreciate your feedback and use it to improve our services.

I am glad to hear you have liked your room and noticed a good variety at the breakfast.

At the same time there are some issues that I was sorry to hear and it concerned the service. I have to state that very rarely we have comments on the service level of our staff and never heard a word "rude" in regard of our employees. I did investigate the whole case and have to apologise that employee who commented on a taxi waiting time did not mention, that 10 minutes waiting time is included. I am using taxi a lot in St. Petersburg and fee for an extra waiting time is usually 10 rub for a minute, so even for 5 min extra waiting time you should not pay more than 50 Rub. Unfortunately sometimes the drivers abuse that absence of knowledge and it was supposed to be our team member's task to explain that to you. As for the concierge - my apologies. I had a talk with the concierge company owner - I am sure such issues will not be brought up by any guest again.
The early check in charge is a common hotel practice all around the world, so I do not see any reason to be upset on a matter.

However, please, accept my apologies one more time and welcome back again to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky. I strongly believe that next time you will leave out hotel with positive memories only.

Kind regards,
lake illawarra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed at this lovely hotel in St Petersburg and was glad we chose it. Our room was super comfortable, clean and quiet...everything you need after all those flying hours from Sydney to St Pete's.
We had arranged with the hotel for a driver to collect us from the airport and he was there waiting for us...even after our flight was delayed in Moscow for 5 hours, I was impressed!
An easy walk over the bridge into the city proper to all the highlights but if you've walked your feet weary take the sub way, that's an experience in itself!
Staff were great. Wifi was great.
I would recommend the Sokos.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilyevskiy, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Mizmac59,

Thank you for sharing your latest experience of staying with us at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky. Your feedback is very important for us as it helps us to develop and provide even better services for our guests.

I am very happy to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and what makes me especially proud is that you have the staff to be helpful and nice. I will make sure to send your regards to our team here.

Thank you for recommending us here and always welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Helpful and attentive staff. Awesome WiFi connectivity. The breakfast isn't the largest of spreads by any standards. But there is an attentive chef, ready to help out.

Rooms just a trifle too small, I felt.

Had a room facing the inner courtyard. Not too great a view, I daresay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ey323,

Thank you for finding time to share your experience of staying at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky with the fellow travelers from around the world.

I am happy to know that the hotel have met most of your expectations and I especially value the fact that you have found helpfulness and attentiveness of our staff a real advantage. It is a bit sad and surprising to hear that the breakfast was not as good as you would expect it: usually we get only positive feedback and the guests are really happy with the selection we offer.

As for the size of the room and the view to the inner courtyard - we do have just a few rooms which are smaller in size than our usual standard room (which are on average 24 square meters), so it seems that you were just unlucky to get one of those.

I wish pleasant further journeys and welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
DM

Been to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilyevskiy? Share your experiences!