“Parkin” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Russian
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Parkin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Exceptional food and service remarkable experience in a beautiful city upscale restaurant on the night we visited good live music

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
“Good food, nice show, overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The food was excellent. I had the baked duck with maple syrup and it was very tasty. As you will read in the other comments the restaurant, the waiters like to put on a show. Constant timing of several waiters coming and simultaneously pouring water or pulling silver covers off food, ext. Dry ice shooting fog over all the tables every where. The restaurant tries extremely hard to be "fancy", which I do not mind, it was entertaining (maybe not in they way they intended but entertaining none the less).

That being said, the prices were extremely high. I'm willing to pay more than what I payed at the Palkin for a nice meal, but I do not feel it was all worth the money. The equivalent of $20 bottles of wine were marked up to $100. A pint of beer ranged between 15 - 25 USD. One of the salads with goat's cheese fried in honey with lettuce marinated in olive oil and vinegar appealed to me, but it was about $30 for the salad so I elected not to get it. The food was very good, just over priced. It seemed the intentionally overly fancy atmosphere called for inflated prices.

If you are completely price insensitive this restaurant is good. The food is very good, but not gourmet with an entertaining atmosphere. I am glad I went, though I would not return. It is difficult for me to say if I would recommend this restaurant. In the end, my experience was positive .

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Great place to impress a date or clients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Palkin Restaurant is situated on Nevskiy Prospect, the most important street in St Petersburg and near a number of the city's major attractions.
The restaurant is pricey, but the food and the service are good, although perhaps a little bit too flashy. That said, if you are entertaining clients/customers or if you'd like to impress your newfound love, this is the perfect place for it.

On the maitre's recommendation we chose the oven-baked sauerkraut soup with bacon and a puff pastry topping. Coming from someone who really hates sauerkraut: this soup IS delicious!

By the way, the most amazing thing that night was a Russian red wine, Cru Lermont, a wine that can hold its place with a lot ot the really good wines from around the world. Russian vineyards near the Black Sea, French grapes and technology and a flying Australian winemaker worked together to create a wine to remember. Try it there if you can!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Noosa Heads
“Service A little Over The Top”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Palkin was stated as one of the best restaurants in St Petersburg and also one of the more expensive.The service was excellent even if a little over the top and bordering on flambouyant.in one way is was like going back 30 or 40 years. After complimentary soup we had ordered a main dish to share. Before it arrived they brought a bucket of dry ice to which was added hot water resulting in a cloud that consumed the table.Good fun and even the waiters saw the joke of it.The food was well prepared but average quality. The wine was expensive. The decor was elaborate.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Massachussetts
“Excellent food, weird everything else!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went there because we were told this was the best restaurant in St Petersburg. It was the night of our 45th wedding anniversary. we made the reservation months in advance. the restaurant was a few doors down from our hotel....
We got dressed up to the nines.....black suit and tie, she silks and high heels. Reservation at 7PM.
The door to the restaurant has a coffee shop logo on it...so it's Russia not NYC.
We enter, lots of steps on marble up to a very high second level (high heels, not 20 years old)
Second level, big counter , Commissar looking gentleman behind it...we walk on looking for welcome, none to be found...we walk back to "commissar" he finds us on list after tense moment.
He points to upstairs...we ask where..up stairs,tersely.
We walk up 2nd large flight of stairs (heels and all) to a very unwelcome 3rd floor..which door to take? we take wrong one...wine cellar or something
Then we take alternative, the open room with nobody in it...we walk through it into yet another but darker unwelcoming space...out from behind a screen pops a waiter...no welcome yet...follow me!
We follow him into an empty dinning room.... sit here, your table isn't ready yet...okay
Two minutes later it's ready now.
He takes us to the end of an empty dinning room into a smaller but more elegant dining room.
Music is playing......loud radio, with R and B, good but not dinner music and way too loud for a romantic dinner.
We are seated at a table for two overlooking Nevsky Prospek...the nylon curtains have a huge patch in them near where we are seated...almost a decorative patch...probably from an errant cigarette touching the curtain inadvertently.
we notice we are best dressed in dinning room...we aren't snobs, but T shirts/jeans in the best restaurant in Petersburg...can't these oligarchs dress up a little for a night out!
Would you like an aperitif or some champagne?...no wine list to price it out yet...some how I knew I was being taken, but it was our anniversary so why not pay 40 dollars each for a glass of it! It was good.
Menu was brought, we chose conservatively...after all we are retired. Wine list was brought and placed on a separate table....I found out why, the bread and triple tubs of butter and water and all were to occupy all space on the table...no room for menu. we order wine...probably low end for them...80 dollars... it was good.
The head waiter was a handsome thirty something who had no sense of humor and never smiled!
the other waiters were barely out of their teens...and fussed forever to make sure every napkin and utensil were in the right place...and I mean fussed...and there was a whole gagle of those waiters.
The food arrived but we couldn't partake until the silver (why not gold) domes were removed in a simultaneous flourish by both waiters. You know what, the food was inspired...it was great..it was complex..it was everything you could want in a gourmet restaurant! From first course until dessert. It may be a weird restaurant but they have good food! I can't fault them for that.
About one hour into the meal the radio music which we hated, was replaced by beautiful Brasilian live music: sensuous, slow...wonderful.
During the meal was served a sorbet intermezzo ...accompanied by a liquid nitrogen extravaganza....I will enclose a photo if I can...
I don't know who to feel sorry for : us or them?
I do have a suggestion to the chef: open up your own restaurant in a potential up and coming part of town, even if it's at basement level...serve this great food in simple surroundings with happy waiters/waitresses.........you will make a "killing"..we will come for our 50th wedding anniversary......let Palkin hire a "cook"......
11,000 Roubles? was it worth it.....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere