“Good hotel to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Good hotel to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nice place to stay while you are visiting the city. It's almost in the center. Small and quiet. It has small parking in the yard. Rooms are large and clean. Standard room has twin beds. Receptionist was friendly and helpful. The first room was a smoking one. They gave us the other one by request at once. Breakfast (buffet) is simple but not bad.

Room Tip: Specify whether you want smoking or non smoking room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Samara, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you would like to get good impression from Saint Petersburg I beg you please DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL it is really horrible, I was in the luxe room and they wanted to charge me for additional bed sheet and this is for 280 USD per day, WiFi is only exist on the ad, no WiFi or it is really slow that you can't open the webpage for 1 hr, they have Full-speed internet but you have to pay extra like 80 RUR-around 3 USD and it doesn't work too
Only good receptionist Maria was very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: please choose different hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and I was very pleased with the accommodation, clean, quiet just what you need after a day out. Rooms are spacious, I would love to have a kettle or fridge in there. Not always hot water!
Free internet was good I did not have any problems connecting and checking emails.
Staff was very friendly and helpful but if I did not speak Russian it would be a bit more difficult (depends who was at the reception). Breakfast was enough and good variety. The breakfast room was very small and if I came early at 8am would not get a seat and/or they run out of brown/dark bread. Location is really good, I walked to the town centre from there as I wanted to explore the area. I do not mind walking.
Next year I'd like to go to St Petersburg again to have more time exploring the city and area around the town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Well my husband and I were sick of Azimut hotel next door and we think what could be worse than this...Palantin Hotel

When we first enter the hotel and the rooms we had high hopes for a moderate hotel...nice decoration, big room...a100dolar suite...we had a long day out and when we decided to sleep, mattress gave us a pain in the a...! Hardly slept night, we decided to stay one night more because the hotel very close to the port which my husband had to visit lately. The second night I just simply want to have a shower in a huge jacuzzi but no hot water was there I called the reception and ask why, I was told to let hot water open for 20 minutes...ok...but no hot water after an hour, reception told me to wait half an hour, after 1hour no hot water...at the and it was 3am and I couldn't have a shower in a 100$ hotel suite with a there some jacuzzi...well nothing to say more....stay in Azimut instead better mattress and definitely real water color hot shower!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Luxury suite was poorly decorated, hot water was mostly absent, soap dispenser was broken - hotel staff was indifferent.
Breakfast room is really small, better get up early if you don't want to stay in line.
Free wireless internet is extremely slow - forget about skype and google maps.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Pacific NW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights in May 2011 loved everything about the stay. You get more than you would expect for the price you pay. Clean, modern and spacious rooms. Descent breakfast. Very helpful staff. Good location. Definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a value / price balance.

Room Tip: Eat at Teremok, save time and money
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

A friend and I booked this hotel after much debate. I book all hotels based on Trip Advisor reviews and the only reviews for this one were not in English. This was the final city in a five city trip across eastern Europe and Russia and my other four hotels were without fault. In the end, we book the Palantin due to what looked like a good location, good rates and the fact that is appeared to be new and modern.

The only part we were right about were the cheap rates.

The location is about 10 minutes walk from the nearest metro (Baltiskaya), but the neighbourhood around it is not great, particularly for two females going out at night. The hotel itself is located behind a gate and there is no lighting from gate to the hotel at night.

The rooms were clean, but extremely outdated and cheaply decorated. We had a bath tub with a shower attachment that did not fit to the wall. Taking a bath in yellow water was hardly appealing. We also had a sink that leaked all over. I am fairly certain we didn't get new toiletries each day.

The front desk failed to tell us the living room had a pull out sofa until one of our other friends staying in the hotel informed us of this. The staff was mostly unhelpful and tried adding charges to our bill, thinking we were someone else!

Breakfast was pitiful. One type of cereal, undercooked meat, a bowl of peas, some stale cookies and a few other sad items. The breakfast room could not even fit everyone who was staying in the hotel.

St. Petersburg is a wonderful city and this did not ruin our trip, although it certainly was not how we wanted to end it (particularly after staying in some lovely hotels in Moscow and other cities). We are in our thirties, so this hotel might work for students looking to really save money, although I think there are hostels that would be better located and better overall value.

We have certainly learned our lesson!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Palantin Hotel? Share your experiences!