“Only if there is no money or choice” 3 of 5 stars

69 Parallel Hotel
14 Lyzhnyi Street, Murmansk 183032 , Russia   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Murmansk
Russia, Moscow
“Only if there is no money or choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

There are only few hotels in Murmansk. When arriving there for the wedding of my friend I wanted to stay in one of the central hotels but unfortunately it's under the reconstruction. Another one was too expensive for me (I was alone and for a couple days only so I didn't want to spend 300 Euro extra). So I decided to stay in a hotel "8 minutes from the centre only" and I was also impressed by their official website. However things are not so easy in this life. I stayed in a standard single room.

What I didn't like:
1. They said there is a stationary phone in each room. According to their booklet my room also had a phone, and with a particular number. There was also an instruction how to call one room from the other. I seriously tried to find a phone in that room. NOTHING!!! I called the reception from my mobile asking about where I can find a phone in my room. They've responded that the floor is new and they haven't installed it yet. It was so inconvenient for me. I had to make calls from my phone which was relatively expensive.
2. The douche and the toilet are of a very bad quality. The curtain doesn't help, it's too short and the water is all over the floor. When you open the door after taking a shower it's possible that some water will get into the room!!!
3. The door is like carton and the walls are very thin. I woke up several times at night when the neighbours were opening the door and I could hear perfectly the speech of my German neighbour who had night guests.
4. The breakfast is very poor. It's about 4 Euro but small and almost nothing to eat there apart from a couple of small sausages. It's even cheaper to have a full breakfast in the centre. Also unfortunately their restaurant is closed now so they provide with "packed breakfast".
5. I was in Murmansk in the middle of September, the average temperature there was +7 and THERE WAS NO HEATING AT ALL apart from the warm floor in the bathroom. I understand that central heating will be on later but in this case the hotel could provide some local heating...
6. There are no foreign channels on TV. It's a disadvantage for non-Russian speakers.
7. It's very far from the city center. It's possible to use only taxis to move. The bus stop is nearby but the bus is once in 30mins or so. The trolleybus is every 3-5 minutes but you have to walk for another 15-20 minutes to reach it.

I liked:
1. The floor in the bathroom was warm!!! It was really a great contrast to the cold room.
2. The price is very low (30 Euro incl.breakfast for standard) in comparison with other hotels in Murmansk. If the situation with money is tough then it's probably the best choice in the city.
3. It's a quite hotel, there is no noice from public transport as it is located at the edge of Murmansk

In general this is not the hotel I would like to stay at. Next time I will try another one. But if it happens that there is no choice then I will recommend to stay in a Lux room. It's about 70 Euro but the quality is better (unfortunately there is only one Lux in the whole hotel).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to 69 Parallel Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about 69 Parallel Hotel

Address: 14 Lyzhnyi Street, Murmansk 183032 , Russia
Location: Russia > Northwestern District > Murmansk Oblast > Murmansk
Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Murmansk
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your 69 Parallel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage 69 Parallel Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.