“A good hotel which could be great” 4 of 5 stars

Bega Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Begovaya Alley, 11, Moscow 125284, Russia   |
Ranked #69 of 248 Hotels in Moscow
London
“A good hotel which could be great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Staying here this weekend and thought I would write my review now as I am bored with BBC World service.

The hotel is a good, clean hotel with everything that you want in a hotel (bed, shower, wc, tv, safe) along with this they have given is a bottle of water everyday and shoe shine. Most pleasing for me is the free WiFi which is good as I can organise everything online.

The breakfast is ok, a reasonable attempt at an international market and I heartedly recommend the pancakes, dinner on the other hand I will not be repeating, the cost is central London but the quality is not.

The other thing I thought strange is The charge of 50 roubles to get a fresh towel, not too much of an issue when here for a weekend but otherwise could get expensive, also you can not charge anything to your room which wasn't too much of an issue as it simply reduced how much we could spend.

Other good points include the English map you can get from reception, and the staff who are very friendly and helpful.

The biggest draw back however is location, I would 100 recommend this hotel if it was more central or nearer a metro stop but in March it is a very difficult trek from the station, but if you don't mind a walk (the trip to Dinamo features a slightly dodgey trip over a walkway, which made me a but nervous) and enjoy a bargain go for it.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I stayed at the Bega Hotel March 1 & 2 2011. I had read most of the other reviews on this hotel and I must say they were very accurate. The staff are what make this hotel very good. Nothing seems too much for them, they are willing to help in any way. The rooms are nothing spectacular, but very adequate. Shower water pressure was very good, the TV has CNN, BBC, MTV etc, so watching some english TV wasn't an isuue. The only minor thing I didn't like was "sachets" of bath gel and shampoo. I think maybe the small bottles would be nicer. The hotel restaurant is very good, and when its -10 outside, its the best place to enjoy a nice meal. The breakfast is also very good, with a nice selsction of things to choose from. The free wifi seemed to have a mind of its own. First day adequate, 2nd non functional, 3rd very strong. But we managed to survive. Use the hotel to arrange a taxi for you, even though you pay slightly more, the taxi drivers on the street start the price at R1000 ($US33) to go anywhere, so its better to have a fixed rate from them. The taxi drivers are the only complaint I have with Moscow, other than them, its all good. The hotel is placed between 2 metro stations, approx 10-15 mins walk to either. Considering the price of hotels in Moscow, i think this one is an affordable and good option.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Travelling independently, we flew into Domodedovo Airport, took the train to Moscow and then metro to Dynamo station - all with ease. The Hotel was about a fifteen minute walk from the metro station but being dark when we arrived, we walked down the wrong road and had to ask several people for directions. The next day it was easy to see where we had gone wrong!
We chose the Hotel Bega, knowing it was on the outskirts and because it was more affordable than any closer to the centre of Moscow. I cannot fault the Hotel Bega and the service they provided. They emailed the visa invitation, which took several attempts as I was unsure of what to do. It is mainly a business hotel as opposed to a tourist hotel but we were still made to feel very welcome in the emails and on arrival.
All the Hotel staff were extremely helpful, even the ones with limited English who pointed out directions on a map. The restaurant / bar staff gave me lessons on the pronunciation of words in my phrase book and other guests in the hotel insisted on us sharing their vodka!
Our room was comfortable, clean and overlooking the Hippodrome.
Breakfast consisted of a hot and cold buffet - cereal, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages, cold meats and cheeses, rolls, bread, fruit etc. Ample for us as we didn't expect the eggs and sausages!
We walked to the Kremlin and Red Square the first day which was about 2km but enjoyable as we saw buildings and sites that we would have missed. St Basil's cathedral was unbelievable, like something out of Disney in contrast to the severity of Red Square and the walls of the Kremlin.
On the metro, if you stopped to check a map, someone would ask if they could help as they seemed to like the opportunity to use their English.
We ate in the Hotel restaurant at night, which was extremely nice but a little expensive for our budget and during the day we ate at Macdonalds.
I loved Moscow and certainly intend to return. Without doubt I would stay at the Hotel Bega again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We found this hotel ideal as a base to explore Moscow. The hotel is located between two Metro station - Begovaya (on the purple line) is a 10-15 minute walk, with Dinamo (on the dark green line) about 15 minutes walk. Once at the stations it is only a 10 minute trip into the centre. We had a nice view of the hippodrome from our room and enjoyed watching the horses training in the morning. Breakfast and restaurant were good and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Although the hotel isn't in the centre, it's not overly far from it either. Located in a residential area, the hotel's nearest metro station is about 15 minutes away by foot. The train station for the Sheremetyevo airport express train (which also is a metro station on the "circle line") is a 25-minute walk away. The key issue with the location is that there is nothing around. No restaurants (except for the one in the hotel, which is fine) and few shops. There are a couple of ATMs in the hotel lobby area.

The staff is great, very nice and helpful (which shouldn't be taken for granted in Russia). They happily assisted with visa documentation before my arrival and the reception staff were efficient, courteous and spoke excellent English. In the restaurant, they didn't speak English quite as well, but to a fine level and the beautiful waitress Irina was so gorgeous that it was easy to forgive. Interestingly, I saw the same staff for breakfast as when I had a late dinner, so they must work long hours.

The room was fine, had a/c, free wireless Internet (that kept disconnecting quite often, though), a couple of English language TV channels, water bottles (that I didn't know if I had to pay for or not, but I was never charged in the end) and all that you needed. Clean and good standard. Slightly weak water pressure in the shower, but now we are talking minor details.

Moscow is a very, very expensive city. Hotel Bega is one of the cheapest of its standard and without being really far out in the suburbs, but I still find that expensive. The restaurant wasn't cheap either. But that's Moscow rather than the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Service from the staff was good and English was spoken without issue. The room had a view of the horse track with an accessible balcony. The location is about a 15 minute walk from the subway station. The breakfast is good and the restaurant lunch was reasonably priced and also tasty. The WiFi access had a very weak signal.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Bega is a good bargain in Moscow. Its just about the periphery of the city centre, off one of the ring roads. Peaceful residential neighborhood, pretty noiseless outskirts. Situated next to the Hippodrome (race course), some rooms offer a good view of the same, however, the charges are higher for these rooms.We paid USD 210 per night for our stay, inclusive of B/fast.

The Hotel building is forgettable in its looks, no fancy stuff (its a 3 star property). But the insides of the Hotel are very clean. The reception staff is very courteous, and surprisingly english speaking. (it is difficult to find this attribute in Moscow). They are also very helpful in advising you on the registration with teh Ministry of Internal Affairs (if required). They charge a pittance of Rb 1 per day for this registration.

Rooms are well lit and comfortable, the linen is sparkling clean. Toilet /shower is also spic and span. Television in the room offers 20 channels, mostly in Russian language. However, pay channels are available if required. Fitness centre is available in the hotel, we did not make use of it though.

The only restaurant in the hotel offers decent quality food, however we found that some of the items on the menu were not available. Breakfast spread was limited and mostly offerred cold items, but again, the quality of food was good. Service in the restaurant was fairly stable with a couple of english speaking staff always around. The Housekeeping staff was prompt and cheerful, however could speak only Russian, So one has to call the Reception for every trivial thing. But it is not a major constraint, unless you are a demanding guest!

Hotel Taxi services charge more that double as compared to the call-taxis. We paid Rb 1000 from the hotel to the airport, the hotel was charging Rb 2200 for the same.

Overall, I would rate the hotel "Very Good" and recommend it to people who want reasonable (as per Moscow Standards) stay in Moscow .

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Bega Hotel? Share your experiences!