“Shocking experience” 2 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 774 Reviews
London, United Kingdom
“Shocking experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton few times, during my husband's business trips to Moscow. I must say the hotel by itself is comfortable enough, give or take few details. But one experience while staying there has left us quite shocked. There is a cash machine in the lobby, and we have decided to replenish our Rubles simply by withdrawing cash from the machine at supposedly respectable hotel. I have introduced Barclay Visa into the machine, entered my PIN code, maximum amount allowed for withdrawal (8000 Rubles) and started to wait. After producing few sounds and shakes, machine has given me back the card, but no cash. We have summoned hotel manager, a nice young lady called Anna Maltseva (Анна Мальцева) who has advised us to write a complaint, and promised to get to the bottom of all of it. Few hours later she has called us into the room and told us that, after evening cash count, there was INDEED AN EXCESS of 8000 rubles found in the cash machine, but they cannot give it to me because the cash machine belongs to a certain Russian bank, not to the hotel, and I should deal with the bank directly: send a complaint to them, and they would get to the bottom of it....We did exactly as advised, but to no avail. After a lengthy correspondence, numerous trips to my local Barclays Bank branch (which also has written to that Credit Bank Europa that the money were indeed debited from my account), another business trip to Moscow with my husband and another meeting with the hotel manager regarding this incident, I have simply given up. The last email I have received from Credit Bank Europa said that they have decided not to credit the money back to my account, because this amount could still be sitting in my account, although my bank manager has sent them a copy of my bank statement showing that 8000 rubles were withdrawn on that date. What can I do? As my husband Russian partner has said: "those 8000 were already shared by all parties involved, just forget about it". Which I did.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

great location, amazing view from the restuarant and the service was incredible. American lost my bag and a staff member left the hotel with me to go buy a change of clothing. Worth every penny. Yes this is an expensive hotel, but everything in Moscow is expensive and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Moscow is an interesting city to visit but if you do not know Russian, your best bet is probably to stay at a top end hotel close to city centre. And the hotels in Russia really can do luxury. The Ritz is my favourite hotel to stay in Moscow - I travelled very frequently to Moscow for nearly two yeears - and you just canot beat the terrace bar on the 13th floor with breathtaking views of the Kremlin, Red Square and the Moscow timelines - during the summer you can spend a whole afternoon basking in the warm sunshine and sipping cocktails and surrounded by beautiful people :-) And, if you miss the gorgeous breakfast buffet in the morning, you can order an excellent sirniki, which I love. Service is never the strong point in Russia, but once the guys get to now you, the service is friendly, personal and superb.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is very opulent and caters to the discerning traveler. The staff moves about quietly like shadows and efficiently goes about meeting the guests' every need (for a price, of course). The rooms are spotlessly clean, spacious, and equipped with hi-tech features (like a digital display on the night stand that operates the curtains). The bathroom features a huge marble walk-in steam shower, which comes in handy when you realize that there's no iron in the room and your company certainly won't reimburse you for having your shirt and pants ironed by the staff for quite a pretty penny. No worries, just hang the clothes on the inside door of the shower while showering and the steam will do the rest. :) In summary, the Ritz is a luxury hotel by all means, but the trade-off is that it lacks what I call "the human aspect". The staff is so efficient that the place feels sterile and impersonal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed new years eve. From the moment we arrived it was amazing. View from room overlooking red square , the sensational food in club lounge , the staff . Honestly it was faultless. The experience watching the fireworks from lounge balcony with such hospitality was worth the money it cost. The only odd thing was the amount of people walking around in their dressing gowns , I have never seen that before so was kind of amusing. Love the bvulgari in the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our first trip to Russia. Stayed here 3 days before our river cruise. Terrific Location

View:
No view from our room. This didn't bother us

Location:
Excellent right next to the Red Square and Moscow subway station. Excellent !!! We walked over on our day of arrival close to midnight. Wonderful to see St. Basil at night after landing.

Room:
Huge and well equipped. Double those European size. Unexpected

Facility:
nice with keyed elevator access to your floor. Restaurant serve the most amazing Russian food, vodka, caviar. There is also a Hip bar I cannot remember the name

Taxi:
Very convenient and reasonably priced. No English.

Guest Services:
Very polite but average. The front desk forgot to give me back my passport upon check in. Lobby safe is easily accessible and a must

Check in / out
no lines

Room Tip: if you can afford it, get a suite facing the Red Square.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

When my husband and I went to Russia we wanted to stay in historic hotels (luxury, but historic) to get a feel for the culture. We spent our first night in Moscow in The National, and while it is historic I would not quite call it luxury. Unhappy with our experience, the following day we booked a room at The Ritz Carlton. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the placement of the hotel, it is not right across from Red Square it's around the corner. But what you give up in view you gain in amenities and luxury. The rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely appointed, the staff is courteous and eager to please, and most important the coffee is wonderful. All in all it was a very pleasant and luxurious hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Moscow? Share your experiences!