“Perfect location, cozy & affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Malaya Dmitrovka St., 11, Moscow 127006, Russia   |
Ranked #61 of 246 hotels in Moscow
Madrid, Spain
“Perfect location, cozy & affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was flying to Moscow to attend a friend's wedding. had found this hotel through Tripadvisor and recommended it to all attendees. Most of us stayed there. The hotel is nicely located. Around 15 min walk to the Kremlin and Red Square. Room sizes are ok and look nice. The downside of it is that the rooms were overbooked and a few friends got transferred to the Marco Polo hotel. THe AC in our room (room 401) was not working and it was a big issue since Moscow was facing a heat wave (38-41 degrees). In the morning we informed reception. After several follow ups, we were informed that it was fixed. But it was not. They had lied to us in our faces and tried to compensate us with an apple, a few grapes and a mini bottle of wine. Even though the staff was trying their best to help us, their manager could not be bothered! To cut a story short, on the third day, we asked them to transfer us to the Marco Polo!!

Putting this incident aside, i would stay there again because of the perfect location, the cozy rooms and the affordable (around 200$) rates.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Hotels in Moscow are absurdly expensive; however, I booked two rooms here for about $200 US each. This seemed to be about half the quoted price. We arrived at around 6am in the morning from the all-night train from Saransk in Mordovia. Although the normal check in time was not until 2 or 3 pm, the front desk suggested (in absolutely flawless English) that we leave our bags, go for a walk and grab some breakfast, and then come back to see if any rooms had come available. We did as they suggested and when we came back around 8:30am (after walking to Red Square and eating breakfast en route) they did in fact have two rooms. This was clearly going beyond what might be expected - essentially they gave us a free day at the hotel.

The rooms were clean. Security was tight. The location is awesome - short walk to the metro - twenty five minute stroll to Red Square. I would stay here again in a heartbeat - as long as I did not have to pay the $400ish night quoted rate. The only teeny caveat is that drinks are expensive in the bar - but that just encourages you to get out and explore a little.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Lyme, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Rooms are in the style of Phillipe Starck. Small room decorated with modern furniture-not much space to move around. Nearly killed myself when got up to use washroom in middle of the night.

Restaurant prices are exorbitant. A cup of coffee is 180 roubles ($6). Buffet breakfast (the least expensive offering) is 1350 roubles ($45). We had dinner our first night; arrived late and didn't really have a choice. Food was very good, but ended up spending $150 + for two salads, two pasta dishes, a bottle of water and the least expensive bottle of wine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Saratoga, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

If you're headed to Moscow and don't speak any Russian, the Golden Apple is a great bet. (Typically, I try to study the language before taking a trip abroad but this trip came up suddenly.) The front-desk staff members are superbly helpful (as has been noted in other Trip Advisor reviews); we were given very good restaurant recommendations, a good bit of help booking our train to St. Petersburg and speedy resolution of a minor housekeeping issue. The hotel is also located a 10-15 minute walk from both Red Square and the Bolshoi Theater (currently being renovated), near lots of good restaurants (Cafe Bolognese is on the same street and has wonderful, fresh Italian fare).

Things I really liked about the hotel:
helpfulness of the front-desk staff;
the hotel's central location;
the ATM in the lobby that dispenses both roubles and USD;
the sizable in-room safes (large enough to fit a laptop comfortably);
in-room espresso maker (on the concierge floor);
blackout drapes in the rooms (especially important during the summer)
free Internet (wireless) in the lobby and (wired) in rooms on the concierge floor; and
late checkout (a concierge floor option)

Things I wasn't so crazy about:
we had booked a room on the concierge floor but, upon check-in, were informed that some guests had "extended their stay" and no rooms were available on the floor that day (we relocated there the following day at 2 pm);
the spa/fitness room was not operational during our stay (FYI, I got the sense that renovations are going to continue over the summer months);
the hotel restaurant/bar's prices were pretty steep (though I'd read about the breakfast buffet on Trip Advisor so we didn't make that mistake)...one glass of wine and some still water came to roughly $25USD...and it was just a glass of white wine, nothing fancy.

The decor is modern (some folks will like that, others won't), the room size sufficient (but definitely try to get a room that has outside - vs. inside - windows as those rooms are much brighter).

Overall, for English speakers who are not on a tight budget, this is a great find -- mostly due to the front desk staff and the location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
GR_GoldenApple, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Let me thank you for sharing your comments, because due to this information we are able to monitor and improve our services. Certainly I will address all the positive notes about the departments you mentioned in your review to my colleagues. It is a great motivation for our team. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the design and location of the hotel met your expectations. Our Health Club is to open soon. We will be glad to welcome you back in the near future, please be assured of our best attention at all times.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel staff was very helpful from the very start when we made our reservation. We got a great deal for our flight, so we had to proceed with the reservation on our own as well, and getting a Russian visa would have turned out a huge problem if it wasn’t for the hotel. We went to the embassy twice, first with the printed confirmation, then with a bank statement and it still wasn’t good enough. The I called the hotel, and they provided me with a special paper, and that was it! Be very careful when you choose your hotels in Russia, because the embassy accepts confirmations only from a number of approved hotels, that are officially licensed to issue invitations. Golden apple hotel did have this license, so our papers worked perfectly at the embassy, we got our visas and so we were off to Russia! My grandmother was half Russian, I heard a lot of stories from her, and always wanted to go there, so I was very excited about the trip. My sister speaks a little Russian, and that made it easier for us.

I don’t know why they say that Russian service means no service, because everything in our trip went perfectly! The taxi the hotel ordered for us was great, the driver spoke good English and gave us lots of useful information. The room was quite small, but very cozy and neat. The view was great, an old street with historical buildings where Russian aristocrats lived before the revolution. The hotel restaurant is terrific, there are various cuisines offered. Great experience!

And a few Moscow recommendations: Go to Red square at night – you’ll see it totally differently, and way less overcrowded. We went to a concert in the Grand Hall at the Moscow Conservatory, it was amazing and it was one of the highlights of our trip – it’s a must! There are dozens of very beautiful sideways and drives to explore off the main streets, mostly in Old Arbat / Kropotkinskaya, Tverskaya and Kitay Gorod areas.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Limassol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

From the moment the taxi brought me to the Golden Apple and I was greeted by the bellman with the sunniest smile, I knew I was in the perfect place for my trip. Housed in a beautifully restored historical building, Golden Apple has a traditional façade, and stylish, modern interiors. The hotel staff are very kind and attentive, they always smiled and offered assistance. The concierge girl was very helpful, she took care of everything for me. The reason I find service in this hotel exceptional is that they are always there to help you before you ask them to.

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

After having arrived by train from St Petersburg where we stayed with friends I was looking forward to have that posh feeling of a 5 star hotel. On the internet pictures of the hotel are great but in reality it is not. It's a small hotel - nothing wrong with that - but apart from the bar it doesn't have the 5 star feel.

Upon arrival - I informed reception I had already paid for the 4 nights we were staying, a handsome amount, before leaving to Russia. I was told that it was impossible to pay upfront and one could only pay at the Hotel. I was happy that I took my credit card statement with me, so I could show that the hotel already credited the full 40.000 rub..... It took 15 minutes before everything was sorted out. Somehow I got the idea that if I hadn't produced my statement things would have gone differently. Ofcourse I could have called the cc company to correct this - but there the uncomfortable feeling started.

Then the rooms - boutique hotel doesn't come to mind after seeing the rooms. Yes they are different then your standard Hilton or Marriot - but not better. It is design but it's more Ikea meets Italy and then management settled for easy - not style.

Service is Russian - only one girl smiled and was actually helpfull - but that only happend with check out. Furthermore prices are horrible - I don't mind paying, but 2000 rub for 5 very very small bottles from the minibar (juice) - is out of this world - especially if you pay only 50 rub - 2 minutes down the street at a kiosk - same brand and half a liter...

Overall the hotel is nice - but paying more then Eur. 1000,00 for 4 nights you do expect more - way more.

PS Fitness center was still out of order when we where there....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Apple Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!