“Surprisingly excellent boutique hotel in the heart of Moscow with great breakfast, nice amenities, and good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Apple Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Golden Apple Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Malaya Dmitrovka St., 11, Moscow 127006, Russia   |
Ranked #61 of 246 hotels in Moscow
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed at the Golden Apple on my first trip to Russia (my partner's umteenth trip). I must say, after hearing horror stories about Soviet-era hotels with dishonest staff and abhorrent service, I wasn't expecting much. But there's no way I could have expected this even in Paris or Barcelona: a reasonably priced boutique hotel with excellent amenities, superb location, and friendly staff. In fact, the Golden Apple is on par or better than most other boutique hotels I've stayed at in the the US and Europe. The Golden Apple was easily the best hotel I stayed at during our trip to Russia.

The location is excellent. You are in a posh, little Bohemian neighborhood within walking distance of Red Square, Patriarch's Ponds, the embassy row, and countless picturesque Pushkin-statued squares. There's an amazing high-end supermarket around the corner if you like to have the occasional snack and meal in your room. You can stock up on bottled water there, too, even though the hotel provides enough to brush your teeth and take a swig. There are restaurants all around, too.

The hotel offered some nice amenities. There's a very small, but clean gym. The bar and bartenders are reasonably friendly. The restaurant that is the hotel's centerpiece. The food was excellent. In particular, the breakfasts, which are included with the room price, were incredibly tasty. There's a buffet of meats, cheeses, pastries, cereals, juices, coffee, and pastries. And you also get a selection from the hot entree menu. I'd be tempted to say it was the best hotel breakfast experience I've had if it weren't for the restaurant's mediocre service. There weren't enough servers to handle the breakfast rush. And the servers, when they finally got to your table, were irritable and impatient. Even after breakfasting for four days straight, the same waiters failed to recognize us and continued to treat us with a fair amount of contempt. The dinner menu is nice albeit grossly overpriced.

The hotel front desk staff was very excellent and not like you'd expect for a Russian hotel. All young, attractive, and English speaking, the staff is very polite and accommodating, even with navigating all the various Visa and governemnt bureaucratic requirements. In particular, they called another hotel we stayed at in Russia and scolded them for treating us so poorly and neglecting to fill out our Visa papers properly.

The rooms are small, but quite nice and very quiet. They are minimalist/modern in style. There are great black-out shades that come in handy for naps during jet-lagged days. You have to pay for wireless Internet, but it's quite reliable. The bathrooms are well-stocked and chic. Maid service is fine. There's a great selection of TV channels from around the globe. On our last few nights, we were upgraded to a suite, which was incredibly posh, with a kitchenette, suana, living room, and business area.

Overall, the Golden Apple is a great bet for discerning travelers looking for boutique chic in the heart of Moscow. The hotel is aimed at young professionals and business travelers young at heart--as such, families should steer clear.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
GR_GoldenApple, Guest Relation Manager at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel! Your comments are greatly appreciated, as they also carry with them a great motivational value for our team. I will be certain to share your appreciation with them. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our delicious breakfast and generally the quality of service in the hotel! We try to make every our guest’s stay unforgettable!

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

That's what I want to say, a really wow hotel. The more I travel the more picky I become in choosing places to stay. It's not just a bed for me anymore. And most hotels are just beds. Unfortunately... But Golden Apple was was a great experience. It's an incredible place! How come they only have one in Moscow? I wish there was another Apple, say in Paris or Rome... But maybe that's what makes it so unique!
This hotel makes you want to come back. Its amazing restaurant, friendly staff, good location, nice rooms, well everything makes you want to come back. And I will!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

This small gem may not be as glamorous as large luxury hotels in Moscow, but it sure lived up to my expectations.
The lobby with 24 hour open lobbybar is clean, welcoming, nicely decorated an very functional. Having a drink at the bar is a pleasure so is also breakfast.
The room itself is not much to cheer about, it is however clean and holds every detail to make a good nights sleep, well just good.
The location is exellent in the very central districts of the city, just a short walk from all major atractions, museums, restaurants, shopping and everything else you may need.

The two best things about the hotel is that its clean and the staff really friendly. I felt right at home and could not ask for anyting more. The rates are definately also on the friendly side considering Moscow´s level of hotel pricing.

Good hotel! No fuzz, clean, good location and friendly staff. STAY THERE!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Dear guest,
Your kind comments are greatly appreciated! Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the all mentioned departments: positive reviews are really worth to be told to our staff! I’m glad that you like our boutique-service!
Melbourne Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We had a problem while in Moscow which appeared almost insoluble but the very pleasant helpful customer relations officer quietly and efficiently fixed it for us when our travel agent couldn't. I can't more highly recommend Elena and the reception desk staff. As well as that we found the restaurant staff attentive and friendly and the service was very good. My only complaint was that the room was a bit on the small side, but I was offered a bigger room but too late to take advantage of the offer. Position of hotel is excellent within walking distance of theatres, shops, Red Square and the Kremlin.

• Stayed October 2009
Dear guest,
I’m glad to note how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind review! I hope to see you in the nearest future in our hotel, and we will accommodate you in a bigger room with great pleasure!
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

We were there in September and enjoyed our trip so much! We really recommend the hotel to all travellers. It's only a few minutes walking from the underground and there are 3 lines within one station. Lots of museums, shops and places to eat out nearby. Great staff, good service. Impressed!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Salzburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We travelled to Russia together with my husband, and we really enjoyed our trip. Thanks to the hotel staff we planned our journey to Suzdal and St. Petersburg easily and it was so exciting! This hotel was a good choice. Food was delightful, and we loved our room!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received. You are always welcome in our hotel!
Wien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

A trendy place. I work in advertising - thier unusual design is quite soothing for my taste. I wish I could meet the designer to share my views on this hotel. Otherwise - just good service, nothing to speak about. They were very helpful with reparing my laptop though they definately didn't have to. Food is fine, but quite pricey. Explore the neighborhood if you want to save some money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Golden Apple Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!