“Great food and great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
NY
“Great food and great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Simply, my favorite restaurant in Moscow. Everything perfect and very stylish. Location is wonderful to enjoy Russian history and culture. Staff is friendly, smiling, and very accommodating. Design is fresh and nice. And food is awesome! Great taste and spectacular presentation!!! Four of us came before open time but it was raining and we were allowed inside with all the care and attention. We anticipated some waiting before they would serve us but our waiter stopped by immediately and we were able to order our food and drinks. We could not try everything but we ordered different appetizers and entrees and tried them all. Everything was delicious. Our dessert Ogorodik (kitchen-garden) was something out of this world! We were so pleased with our food and ambience I even don't remember the total amount we paid. It was reasonable for sure.

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Ok, probably wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

There is nothing wrong with this place, but nothing great either. Nice atmosphere, in the upscale neighborhood of Patriarch Ponds. There clearly was a lot of money in the room, but no real pompous feeling that is common in Moscow. Waitstaff was friendly and speaks enough English to get by. The decor is cottage chic. Most importantly, the food was only average. My risotto was great, but the beef (bull) entree and potato side were very plain, not spiced for my tastes. The menu is eclectic as well, so you should have a look before going. Desserts were strange conceptually, and I didn't care for them. The prices are high, though my Moscow standards I would say they are upper average. We spent about $800 on four (three bottles of wine though). I can't recommend this place overall, unfortunately, mainly because the food was very unmemorable.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Москва, Россия
“Great quisine, charming atmosphere and more than reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Would be a perfect place for a relaxed romantic dinner, however, also great for business partners who are not allergic to democratic atmosphere. Quality of food is comparable to top Moscow restaurants, creative and fun food presentation you would definitely remember, restaurant is using seasonal and local products (you won't be disappointed - esp. with Russian fish like Nerka or Muksun). Must-taste: nerka starter, duck pate, lamb shoulder (dish for 3-4 persons), 'Ogorodik' dessert, ask for their own liquors (like bourbon with mandarin, cognac with cranberry, gin with black currant). Prices would make you love the place even more - less than 100 Euro per person for a full dinner with alcohol. Make sure you book a table in advance - the restaurant is quite popular.

• Visited August 2013
Moscow, Russia
“I really, really want to like this place, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a relatively new place in town that is not far from where I live. I've been there three times now, and there are a few things I love. The atmosphere is really great and cozy. The service is some of the nicest I've ever had in town (you can tell that the owner really cares), the prices are very reasonable for Moscow, and the creativity and presentation of the food is great. There's just one little problem, almost every single dish we've tried has been pretty bland. I think if they just added a little bit of herbs and spices it could really be a great place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Moscow, Russia
“Neighborhood 5 Star Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Moscow isn't known for it's neighborly charm or cuisine for that matter. Its more known and frequented restaurants share in their pretentious appearances and are mostly a let down when it comes to food creativity, quality of ingredients and preparation. Not to mention senseless repetition of the same menus.
Not true on all counts for 'As Eat Is' cafe. Unassumingly located in a neighborhood setting yet only a few blocks from some major hotels, it is a Michelin deserving secret of a place. I'm torn about reviewing it actually, knowing that this review might aid in losing its 'local' feel, something that contributes to its relaxed yet classy vibe as witnessed by the complete variety of guests who've discovered it for themselves.
Word of mouth travels fast and from two months ago – when I first discovered it myself – until now, its reaching the point where you'd be advised to call ahead and book a table.
I love this place for weekend afternoons as much as I do for dinners on the weekend because the cooking is simply second to none.
I'd put it up against anything in any city more readily recognized for its culinary reputation. All the more surprising, and lucky for us who live here, that its in Moscow.
One tip, regardless of whether you're a 'dessert person' or not, don't fill up.
You can't eat at 'As Eat Is' without saving room for the Cheesecake with Wild berries. By far the best in Moscow and as good or better than almost anywhere I can think of.
Lastly. please don't tell anyone.

• Visited July 2013