“Fascinating (and tasty)” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
London, UK
“Fascinating (and tasty)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've just had dinner at the Koryo restaurant. It's a short walk from Leninskiy Prospekt metro.

What to say? Well, it's the real deal. All the waitresses are genuine North Koreans, presumably given special dispensation to travel to Moscow as employees. The place has giant murals (although none of the kims), but otherwise feels much like any other restaurant, although the staff are unusually attentive and prompt.

I felt a bit awkward visiting, as I know that I'm helping to provide the regime with hard currency, but my curiosity won out. One of the waitresses spoke a little English and confirmed that they get to keep cash tips, so I made sure to tip extra generously.

If nobody in your party speaks Korean or Russian, you'll find it hard going but the menus have photos of almost all the dishes. Although I didn't go for the food, I was surprised by the very high standard.

A very interesting experience all round.