“A Must See” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Square (Krasnaya ploshchad)

Red Square (Krasnaya ploshchad)
Krasnaya ploshchad, Moscow, Russia
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$58*
and up
Moscow Walking Tour: Architecture, History and...
Ranked #7 of 1,381 Attractions in Moscow
4.5 of 5 stars 4,210 Reviews
Type: Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Landmarks
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Red Square, once the site of executions and military parades, sits smack in the middle of Moscow, bounded on one side by the Kremlin walls and Lenin's tomb and on the other by GUM, the country's largest department store.
London, UK
30 attraction reviews
“A Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

You have to go to the Red Square to see GUM (Dept. Store), St. Basil's Cathedral and Lenin's Body!

All are free.

London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Red Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Small than I thought it would be given that the films and TV footage showing tanks and rocket launchers driving through during parades - however, it is still very impressive

New York City
13 attraction reviews
“Simply GO !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I arrived about 6:30 PM, and simply headed for Red Square. I had no agenda, no idea where anything was ... but I got out of the subway, started walking, and found my way to Red Square. Saw St. Basil's, Gum Dept store, gardens by the Kremlin ... and began to get my bearings. Even if you don't know what you're doing, just go to Red Square and walk. You'll be amazed how much fun it is ... and how thrilling to see the things you've read about. When you return (for the State Historical Museum, the Romanov Museum, GUM dept store, St. Basil's, the Kremlin) you'll know where you are! Don't be afraid -- just let your feet take you, and look at it as an adventure!

Visited August 2013
Paris, France
25 attraction reviews
“Moscow: a 72-hour tour in 4-hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

It wasn't meant to be this way after a life time of anticipation. I had just completed a 14 day Beijing-Moscow Trans-Mongolian Railway adventure --- without the companionship of my wife and I really needed to get home fast so as not to abuse the privelege.

I had 48 hours to attempt to achieve a meaningful understanding of the capital of the largest country in the world: its rich history, complex culture, dynamic government --- and enigmatic people. Tough assignment!

I decided to splurge on a private guide for a memorable half day tour of the Red Square / Kremlin. I searched high and low for the perfect guide. I turned to the internet and framed my very specific search. I wanted someone knowledgeable, skilled (optimize the time) and that exuberant attitude that makes for the perfect guide.

My ideal guide would, in just a few hours, have the power to define my memory of Moscow for the remainder of my life. Tough assignment.

My internet search resulted in an excellent candidate with impeccable recommendations. I texted the service and, on very short notice, they confirmed her availability on a Sunday and she proved herself to be reliable - right on time!

Moscow Private Tours’s Masha was a young lady, very smart and genuinely excited about her assignment --- a very sweet young lady who quickly demonstrated I made a great choice. She was clearly well regarded by everyone we came across in and around Red Square and the Kremlin.

It proved to be a very smart investment. I could never --- ever have covered the territory we did within the 4 hours we spent together. It was three days of touring compressed into and a half day: tickets, shortcuts, context, details and pictures. We said goodbye and I was able to return and do things I chose to pass up so as to get the bigger picture.

I cannot recommend Masha enough to provide depth and optimization to the incredibly rich venue. So much to see, hear, smell and learn. Give her a call and let me know how it goes! You won't be disappointed.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

A fabulous place in the centre of the city, and is the easiest way to find all of the main historical sites (St Basil's cathedral, the Kremlin, the Gum, Historical State Museum, Lenin's mausoleum and more!).
There are a couple of nice restaurants and bars on the side of the square where you can get a drink and enjoy the views - they are quite dear, but for the sight it is totally worth it!