“Loved this hotel!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 260 Hotels in Moscow
Aston, PA
“Loved this hotel!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

First I must state that this was my fifth trip to Moscow. My first three were to the former Soviet Union, and my fourth trip was 10 years ago when I stayed at the Cosmos. On my very first trip to the SU, we stayed across from Red Square at the National. So for location purposes, that is my favorite hotel so far. But for comfort purposes, this hotel is great! I splurged for one of the business suite rooms. The bedroom had 2 single beds with a closet, small table, set of drawers, and tv. The living area had a small couch, 1 upholstered chair, a small desk with chair, a closet, a tv, and a mini-bar. Upon first walking into the room, there was a slightly unpleasant smell, which I quickly got used to and stopped noticing. The bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was very modern. I suspect it had recently been remodeled. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, and I liked the buffet. It changed slightly from day to day. Some items were staples, such as cereal, bacon, and hot dogs, which they called sausages. They also served fruit and vegetables. One day they served green beans, and the next, canned corn. Yes, the sign stated CANNED corn, not just corn! There were only a couple of things I didn't like, such as the radiator heat. I found the whole hotel rather hot, but at least the windows in the room opened. The desk could use a lamp, too! The other thing was the phone didn't work, and the front desk told me that wasn't their problem. However, in all other respects they were very helpful, and quite a few of the employees spoke English, which is good since my Russian isn't all that good. Since the calling card I had didn't work either in my room or at a pay phone, I rented a laptop for 250 rubles, which I used at the snack bar across from the lobby, in order to email my hubby. Not being particularly good with computers, either, two of the employees had to help me with that as I had trouble typing in English. Everything kept coming up in Russian. Many thanks to Julia, who was a big help to me! Also, the hotel is about a ten minute walk from the Metro stop. I rather enjoyed that walk through the residential areas. I wouldn't recommend lugging your luggage from there to the hotel, however. I arranged for a driver to pick me up. I guess if all you had was a carry-on, you'd be ok, but I had a small suitcase, carry-on, purse, and coat. I also liked the quiet location, and there are banks near-by, as well as small stores for buying water, soda, and food.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed for 1 night and we wished we had payed a little more for a better place.
This hotel is very economical compared to all other hotels in the city, but has key issues to be evaluated before you book a room.
1- It is VERY far from most attractions. It took us 20 min by walking to the next train station plus another 35 min until Red Square by metro.
2- They charge different prices for their transfer to train station/ airport. We were charged initially 700 RUB from the train station, but when we checked out the same transfers became 1000 RUB. The explanation was that there was a problem with the system and they gave us a lower price.
3- Internet wi-fi simply doesn't work anywhere in the premises. Didn't work in our room and it didn't work in the lobby. There is nobody available to troobleshoot at night.
4- The morning of our check out, there was no hot water to take a shower. We were told some maintenance was being done and in the clerk own words: " I could heat some water and bring it to your room, but not too much". We obviously denied.
5- Transfer driver is a terrible driver and put us at risk a few times on our way to the airport.
Good points: cheap, room is simple but clean, breakfast is included and is buffet style.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

This modern hotel is 10 minutes walk from the metro (20 minutes ride into the city centre) and in a residential area.

The rooms and beds were very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was good value for money. It may be worth investigating the half board option as the restaurant serves a good set meal (620 roubles) in an evening and there is nothing much else about the hotel.

Free internet, breakfast, luggage store.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

This hotel is good (for Russian standards). The room was ok, only the fridge made some noise (I switched it off). The water in the bathroom was a bit brown at the beginning, then it became clear (but I think the hotel cannot be responsible for that, it is never healty to drink tap water in Moscow). The staff was friendly, at least with me, they helped us finding taxis at reasonable prices. The breakfast had a good choice of salty things and a poor choice of sweet things, the restaurant was ok. For tourists: the centre of the town is quite far (but there is the metro). For business the location could be good indeed, not much traffic, taxis are easy to find.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days and I spent time at Hotel only for sleeping. Actually it's very a clean and good hotel, located on an eco-friendly environment. The price was quite good, compared to other hotels in Moscow. I think; one disadvantage was, the lack of English spoken staff. Only one of the receptionists was speaking English and it was really poor. Another point which to criticize was; that the WIFI internet usage was not free of charge for the guests who stay in the hotel. Anytime we want to connect to WIFI internet, we had to pay and it was unpleasant. Breakfasts and snacks were over the average. Except this conditions, if to consider the benefit/cost ratio, I can say; that this is one of the best hotels to stay in Moscow if you are looking for convenient prices.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

The hotel was nice. Our room was fairly small but i don't think that is abnormal. It was close to 2 subway stops. The breakfast was good but the buffet never changed. The staff was SUPER nice and spoke good English. They were very helpful with our visa process, as well.

Our only negative was we got lost trying to find the hotel our first night there. The map from the website seemed clear, but when we stepped off the subway at 10:00 at night ... it was not. We wandered around for 30 minutes until some kind locals pointed us in the right direction.

Maxima Zayra wasn't close to downtown, but riding the subway was easy ... and staying there was much cheaper than downtown!

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

I was surprised by their discounts - literally you can always find a 5-15% discount there and they also have wonderful service!

• Liked — service - they do care
  • Disliked — dunno
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Maxima Zarya Hotel? Share your experiences!