“Avoid!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #189 of 248 Hotels in Moscow
Bromley
“Avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The hotel was poorly lit and quite unfriendly.We were confronted by a strange odour in the corridor when the lift reached our floor.Thankfully, this did not permeate into our dark and grimy room, which dated back to the 1950's.The bath had little enamel on it and the lavatory seat had to be cleaned.
The breakfast was extremely poor with cold vegetables and fried eggs.The staff were indifferent and once again the room was very dark.
Certainly a hotel to be missed at all costs.

Room Tip: I didn't hear any of our group rave about their room, so not sure if some rooms were better than...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Prevessin Moens, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I took the cheapest room (non renovated), the room is quite cheap for Moscow and I was actually expecting worse. But the room is small, a bit noisy, a bit old fashioned but altogether it is still a nice place to stay taking into account the price and the location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Belgrade hotel for 4 nights at September. We were 3 in a room, so when I booked via Booking.com, I chose the double comfort room and we had enough space while the 3rd bed was folded and luckily was one of the newer rooms With air-condition and a new bathroom. Just to point out that when we arrived the staff member tried to convince us to switch to an older room that would cost more and be more suitable for 3, by saying that in our room was too small...
The staff was actually rather than that, helpful and polite. The room was very clean.
Breakfast wasn't included. We tried once- 500 r each- wasn't worth it, small choice selection and just not very tasty. We went instead every morning to a nearby cafe and enjoyed ourselves.
The location is wonderful- inside the small ring (of the metro system- which my mother- as a former resident many years ago, said was a must!) close to the "old Arbat"- with all the restaurants and a few minutes away from the metro- Smolenskaya.
The price- reasonable. Far less expensive then other hotels at the area.
By the way when we left they booked us a taxi at a very fair price...
Would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2013
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Arrived in Moscow without a hotel booked, and ended up at the Hotel Belgrad when everything else proved too expensive. Got a room in the old part for 3000 Roubles, which was OK. The room was out of the Soviet era, which was an historic journey back in time.

Checked out the resturant for dinner. It was not signposted, and when I found it, it was virtually empty. When I looked at the prices on the menu, I understood why.

In the morning, the breakfast was poor and the service ineffective. Bordering on unfriendly.

When leaving, check-out was fine. However, it was pouring with rain, so I asked the concierge for a taxi, which turned out to be a rip-off merchant.

I normally avoid Moscow whenever possible, and this experience reminded me why. By comparison, Russia's smaller towns are infinitely better places to do business in.

Room Tip: Go somewhere other than Moscow.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked via booking.com. Didn't check whether or not the room I'd reserved had air con. Got to reception and was asked if I would like air con (temp outside 30-35 degrees C). I said that I would and was promptly told that my room cost would double from 6000 roubles to 12,000 in total for the two nights!

As I was trying to spend as little as possible, I said I'd stick with what I had as it was only for two nights. The room was like a sauna on the 10th floor. Horrible, depressing, crumbling, peeling, rotten, dated, "glad-I-didn't-have-the-wife-with-me" type room. She would have refused to sleep in it without a doubt.

Obviously when I got home to the UK & thought to check my booking confirm it said clearly that the room I had booked was with air con!! My fault for not thinking about it & not taking the confirm with me. However the guy on the front desk was clearly chancing his arm to get more $$$.

The location & the price cannot be knocked. It is in a prime spot & this is the only thing going for it.

Wifi is only in the lobby, not the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bijeljina, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Belgrad for four nights in a double room. What can one say about this hotel? My first impression was that somehow I was teleported back in the year 1981 for example. If you are not a grumpy person, it may even be a fun experience.

But, the fun part starts to wear out after the first night, and you find yourself in an old room, with 2 uncomfortable beds lined in a straight line and not side by side, and a poor bathroom.

However, it would be a shame to spend time in your room when you are in a city like Moscow, so take advantage of almost unbeatable location of this hotel and explore the city.

Also, this hotel is cheaper then the most in Moscow, and it is impossible to find anything in this price range on such a great location.

All in all, the location and the price save this hotel from being completely bad experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I spent 5 days here. It was half the price of anywhere else so i can't complain about the quality of my room, which was very poor, but the location was excellent, at the top of the Arbat.
Half the Hotel is modernized and half isn't, hence the difference in price you can pay for a room. The staff haven't got a clue about customer service and just about speak enough English to solve your problems.
I would only come back here i if was very tight for cash because my room was like something from the 1940's. Horrible brown carpets and manky green curtains. Horrible beds ensure you want to spend your day on the move. Strangely, the reception, downstairs bar and restaurant are very nice which makes the horrible room even more of a shock because it sets a false precedent. I only gave this 2 stars because it was cheap and the location was excellent.

Room Tip: if you can afford it, pay more for the modern rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Belgrad? Share your experiences!