“Modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Hotel has a good location if you arrive from Sheremetevo Airport (because it is located on Tverskaya street) or by train on Belarus station. It is not far from the city centre, also. Otherwise it is a clean hotel with small but very modern fitness facility (which is open 24 hours!). Rooms are small, but clean. The staff was actually quite nice, no complain here. I stayed on the 3rd floor (SPG floor), I did not hear any sounds from the street, but the view was not nice, it is better to stay on the higher floors.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is clean and modern enough but the lobby is underwhelming. The staff does everything it can to avoid eye contact and we referred to it as "service with a scowl." In fairness, all of Moscow had this same attitude, I just thought in a service industry, especially at a Sheraton, some of the staff might have spoken English. They didn't. Again, the same held true for most of Moscow.
Not sure why others "loved the location." It was a two mile walk to Red Square or a thirty dollar taxi ride... Yes for only two miles. Took the subway the last day, still three to four block walk after that.

Russian speaking female American friend complimented a baby on being beautiful to its Mother to which she responded in Russian, "So, what's it to you?" Sums up the bleak outlook of the population and the service we received in general at the Sheraton. Rarely a smile, and second hand smoke is an absolute everywhere you turn. Overall, I'd say pick a better located hotel for scenery and the sights as I came here for the sights and a vacation, not for the hotel's proximity to trains or the airport.

Room Tip: 6th floor executive floor has newer rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonPalaceMoscow, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Malelaw,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Palace Hotel as your place of residence during your recent trip to Moscow.

First of all, please accept our apologies if not everything hasn’t been perfect during your stay. We are very disappointed to hear that your expectations at our hotel were not quite satisfied.

We have noted your comments regarding the lack of attention from the reception personnel you encountered. We have passed these comments on to the Director of Front Desk and to the Hotel Training Manager in order to pay special attention to this matter and arrange additional trainings for our employees.

We thank you once again for sharing your experience with us as it helps us to provide our guests with better service. We hope you will give us another chance to improve your impression on our hotel in future.

Customer Service,
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sheraton Palace last week. We loved the location, which is very close to a metro station. You can catch the airport train to and from the station every 30 minutes.We loved the spaciousness and cleanliness of the room, it was just like in US. We were on the SPG floor, so we got 2 complimentary bottles of water in our room every day. We didn't have any problems with a smoke smell at all. We ordered a room service, and we didn't need to wait at all before they knocked on our door. All of the staff was pretty friendly, spoke English. They provided us with an electrical converter, so you don't need to worry about that. I gave this hotel 4 stars because of their prices. If you look at their menu prices, it's beyond ridiculous.20$ plus for a small bottle of beer? 50$ plus for an american breakfast with 2 eggs and one piece of bacon? They obviously don't know how much Americans eat in the morning... I would highly recommend to go across the street and experience cafe Luce, where they have separate hall for non-smokers and also know what scrambled eggs are. Also, if you want a beer or water or pretty much anything, next to cafe Luce there is a great food store where you can find anything you possibly want or need. In comparison- a bottle of water in the hotel is 680 rubles (1dollar is 30 rubles), in the store a double size of the same water brand is 34 rubles. I couldn't believe it! So, to conclude my review- the hotel didn't exceed our expectations... and also don't expect any extras or upgrades or a royal treatment to prevent a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

300 meters from Belorusskaya metro station made me sleect this hotel for the stay.
Wanted to use Aeroexpress with no further connections.
And it was fine.

The bad experience started at the reception, where I was informed that my rate does not include the breakfast. It was when I was booking the hotel, but suddenly it disappeared.
I have asked them to make the exception for the SPG guest like myslef and add the breakfast as the courtessy, but they refused in really hard way.
It was not a problem of paying for the breakfast (1500 RUB), but just how they handle such tiny issues. And they seem to not apss this exam...

Room was OK except it was smelly - even having non-smoking sign you could feel the smoke and the intensive air refresher trying to attenuate it.

Asking for a hotel taxi was also a miss. Standard ride on Phaeton taxi would cost 300-400 RUB and they called shabby guy asking for 1200 RUB. The usual rip off in Moscow if you ask for it yourself, but the hotel staff shall not do it.

I will rather not stay there again and will not recommedn it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Atayed in The SHeraton Palace Hotel for a 3 night business trip.

The hotel is extremely well located. sitting about 5 mins walk from either Mayakovskaya or Belorusskaya metro stations. The advantage of Belrusskaya metro is you can catch the airport express train to and from this station.

The rooms are clean, standard Sheraton hotels. Modern, light and quiet. The service at erception was friendly and good, and the room service was to be as expected. I was impressed though that when my room service turned up a little late they were very apologetic and had given me a free beer as well.

As with all Moscow hotels, it's expensive. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SheratonPalaceMoscow, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear JeroenvdL,

Many thank you for the kind words about your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you have had an enjoyable time at the Sheraton Palace Moscow and benefited from the location of the hotel and our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime very soon!

usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

It's a dated Sheraton that needs renovation. The staff are brusque but that may just be the legacy of decades of communist rule. Customer service was not a highlight of the Soviet years.

They have a floor for SPG preferred guests - on a low floor. You get a bottle of water in your room. That's the entirety of the perks for SPG Gold and higher. If you're used to being upgraded, forget it.

On the whole, this is not up to Starwood standards.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear jujub34ns,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with the Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow.

Please let us apologize that you did not find everything perfect and your expectations at our hotel were not met.

We have thoroughly investigated your experience and discussed your comments with the hotel associates. We regularly train our associates according to the Sheraton service standards and now additional trainings will be arranged for Reception and F&B employees.

We are more than happy to upgrade the SPG members if there is availability. Unfortunately, on the dates you visited us the hotel was fully occupied.

In addition, we would like to inform you that we have finished the Club Level, the Executive floor and the Fitness Centre have been fully renovated. In the meantime we are updating the other rooms in order to ensure they are always up to the Sheraton standards.

We truly hope that you give us another chance so we can improve your impression on our service capability in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Having spent a lot of time in different hotels, I have never been treated with such a level of disrespect (by three members of staff) as when visiting the Sheraton Moscow.

My travel agency incorrectly booked me into an executive suite which was in fact over my travel budget allowance (this is not the Sheraton's fault). However, when I asked if I could be downgraded, I was told there were no standard rooms available. I had to go on line to the hotel's own website on my iPad in your lobby, to prove to your receptionist that there were standard rooms available in the hotel. It was only at that point, that I was allowed to downgrade.

The next morning I went to attend breakfast with my client in the 2nd floor restaurant. I was told that I couldn't eat in that restaurant and could only eat in the executive restaurant on the 7th floor. I asked if I could join my client by eating in the 2nd floor restaurant instead. I was then told by the waitress this would be ok.

I had a cup of coffee (self service, from a machine!) some toast and a bowl of cereal.

Having finished breakfast I was promptly presented with a bill, for 1,500 ruples (£33). I reminded the waitress that she had agreed I could eat in the 2nd floor restaurant. She firstly denied telling me I could do this. When I then spoke to one of her colleagues she also denied the conversation had taken place. When I asked for the bill so that I could take it to reception to assist in my complaint I wished to make I was told "you can only have it if you sign it".

In the lobby where I made my complaint, the front of house manager called the waitress. By this time their story had changed and they were prepared to confirm I had asked to eat in the 2nd floor restaurant with my client, instead of the 7th floor. However, the front of house manager clearly thought it was funny I was so angry about the situation because he said with a grin on his face "just because she told you that you could eat there doesn't mean she isn't going to charge you".

I point blank refused to pay the bill (£33 ruples, for a coffee which I had to get myself, a bowl of cereal and some toast).

I have never been so insulted whilst being a guest in a hotel before now. I am amazed that a brand of such supposed standards as the Sheraton would employ such badly trained, rude and disrespectful staff. The attitude of some members of staff at the hotel is diabolical and the hotel doesn't deserve to have any custom when there are plenty of suitable alternatives (ie the Mariott) in Moscow which are, incidentally, far better located.

I would never stay at again or recommend the Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SheratonPalaceMoscow, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear 989Ben,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Sheraton Palace. We highly appreciate your feedback and strive to improve our service to the excellent level.

Please let us take the opportunity to apologize that you did not find everything perfect. We appreciate your loyalty to the Sheraton brand and are very disappointed to hear that your expectations at our hotel were not quite satisfied. There is no excuse for hotel employees if they fail to treat guests in a respected way. We have thoroughly investigated your experience and discussed your comments with the hotel associates.

With regards to the room rates please note that there are several restricted special offers on our website. They have low rates, however can be booked exclusively through the website.

We have noted your comments regarding breakfast. When staying in a Club room you were entitled to complimentary breakfast in the Club Lounge. Club guests, wishing to have buffet breakfast in Vladimir restaurant, are charged the buffet breakfast. The buffet breakfast price 1,500 RUB inclusive VAT is in compliance with the market in Moscow and is lower than buffet breakfast rate in many of our competitor hotels. Taking into consideration that you were not properly informed about breakfast by our employees, you were not invoiced for buffet breakfast.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you as our guest on your next trip to Russia and will do our best to show our real service capability and provide you „a home away from home“.

Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow

Been to Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow? Share your experiences!