“Awful service: cancelled our booking on arrival due to our 6 month old daughter” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Vanilla Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Vanilla Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Vanilla Bed and Breakfast
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bol. Kozikhinskiy pereulok 4, Moscow 123104, Russia (Presnensky)   |
Ranked #10 of 296 Moscow B&B and Inns
Kununurra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I speak Russian and am a former tour guide in Russia.

We had a booking for a double room at Vanilla in late July 2012.
When we arrived with our 6 month old daughter Ruslan, at the front desk, took one look at our daughter and said, 'You can't stay here.'

There was no indication on the booking form (of the booking website) that an infant would not be allowed. (There was also no way to add an infant to the booking.)
There was likewise no information about children/infants on the Vanilla B and B website.

When we protested, rather than seeking an alternative, Ruslan threatened to call the police!

After a prolonged dispute, he reluctantly agreed to call an affiliated hotel/hostel which had a vacancy.

Later, I found that a cancellation fee had been charged. I asked Ruslan to reverse this, but he refused ('You cost us money, we had to refuse other guests...' etc.) It is unclear who passed my credit card details on to the hostel, because I didn't give them my card details. The booking website was initially unhelpful and denied any responsibility but a manager is now offering to deal with it so I won't name them at this stage.

In summary:
- This is an example of the worst customer service you can get in Russia: aggressively rude, indifferent, and unaccountable.
- I would advise all travellers to avoid this hostel. Even if you don't have children, my experience was that they clearly can't be relied on to help in a difficult situation.
- Be very careful with your credit card details.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ruslan_Vanilla, Manager at Vanilla Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that you had bad experience with Vanilla bnb. The website you've made reservation with was booking.com. It's clearly mentioned that staying with small children has to be confirmed by property where you stay. When you called them they said the same - so there is no mistake here from our side.

When you make a booking any site asks for your credit card information and it's being transfered to hotel which is responsible for validating it, charging for no-shows or late cancellations etc.

We have one room that can accommodate 3 people, but it was busy. We offered you to stay in our other hotel for the same price (note that it was a proper hotel room with private bathroom and soundproof walls), and after all that you say we have terrible service - honestly I wish every property could treat guests like that.

If you have any other questions please email me.

Best regards,
Olga Samoilova
Manager

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had to find hotel for two nights - my last two nights in Moscow. I wanted place close to the city center, but not expensive. Vanilla bnb was everything I hoped for - I wish breakfast was better with eggs or something hot, but most budget hotels in Moscow don't offer it at all. Staff was helpful and friendly. Metro Tverskaya is just 10 minutes away, Kremlin and Arbat is 15 min walk. Room was big and had sofa in it. I think it's not good for business travellers, but tourists will enjoy its location and atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you want to arrive early in the morning please notify them by email in advance.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Overall a good place, nice location, rooms and bathroom clean. The guy running the place could not have been less helpful, it was almost as if he tried to be unhelpful. Even for Russia I found his service to be poor. Fortunately we didn't need much from him, but if you're looking to get some guidance for the city (or any help for that matter), might be better to stay elsewhere. Other than that, I'd recommend the place.

• Stayed July 2012
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The location is <10mins walk from the metro and walking distance to the main sites if you are prepared to do a bit of walking which is the best way to see things in Moscow.
Ruslan communicated well to questions prior to arrival and was there to meet me as stated on arrival. Take his directions with you as it would be impossible to find otherwise.
My room was clean and comfortable. It is quiet in terms of street noise but the rooms are NOT soundproofed from each other and you can hear everything going on in the next room so the quality of sleep depends very much on who else is staying in the other rooms. The people in there with me were very nice but didn't settle for the night till aprox 1am so it wasn't conducive to sleep.
It is basically an apparment with 4 individual bedrooms let out. There is no sitting room as suggested by the pictures online. The kitchen is ok, but you cannot use the cooker so basically there is a microwave, fridge and kettle. The bathroom and toilet are separate and the one bathroom was not a problem when I was there - I only had to wait about 10mins to use it.
Breakfast is basic but is available at any time.
If you are on a budget I would recommend this place - take your chances with your flat mates!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I appreciated this place a lot, particularly because of my knowledge of what the competition seems to be like. It seems it is difficult finding a place in Moscow on a budget which has friendly staff, a good location, and decent sized rooms.

The owner is helpful and friendly and well organised and their website provides useful information on how to get there and on local services in the area.

The Visa invite service is very good, and visa registration was also easily obtained once I got there (you only need visa registration if you stay there for more than 7 days). Be sure if you book to tell them when you are arriving and allow for the possibility of airport delays in your estimation- this is very important because the owner is not always at the property to let you in. Add the phone number to your phone before you leave so you can phone them in the event that they are not there when you arrive. I mention this because twice when I was staying there I did see guests arrive when the owner was not there to let them in.

It calls itself a 'bed and breakfast' and whilst this is technically accurate, it might lead to somewhat misleading expectations and to an undervaluing of the good sides of this place. A B&B by UK standards might be expected to provide a cooked breakfast early in the day. You don't get that here, but you do get the materials provided for you to make your own breakfast of toast, jam, butter, tea, muesli and yoghurt whenever you like.

And what you do get, more importantly, which was worth more than a cooked breakfast to me, is a freedom that is lacking in most guest houses and B&Bs. You may get up when you want, and you will not find yourself blocked out of your room due to daily cleaning. You can use the kitchen to prepare or cook food, and there is a very large fridge to accommodate anything you'd want to store there. It's a bit more like having a shared flat than a B&B. Unfortunately this also means a shared bathroom and shower, but I did not find this much of an issue during my stay.

The building is from the 19th century and the rooms themselves are high ceilinged and large, in a somewhat old fashioned style which you can appreciate from the very accurate photographs on the website. In my room there was a very large sofa, a table and chairs, and many cupboards as well as the bed. There was no television in the room I had, which didn't bother me, but I expect some people do look for such things. There was, however, excellent internet with good signal strength and a fast download speed.

It is on the ground floor, so if you want the window wide open in Summer heat this might be something of an issue, but the location is in general quite quiet and pleasant. It is also very convenient, quite close to the metro station which is only really one stop away from red square and only a few stops away from all the central attractions of Moscow. There is a supermarket just literally round the corner from it which supplies pretty much everything you might need, as well as a café, and near the metro station there are plenty other options.

In summary, if you're looking for a place to stay in Moscow in a convenient location that offers a lot of freedom and decent sized accomodation on a budget, given the often extortionate prices of Moscow accomodation, this place is perfect. But be sure and tell them when you'll be arriving!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Riga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed there for two weeks, and it was a real pleasure. The hotel is situated in the very centre of the city, and all main sights are within walking distance of up to 20 minutes. Special thanks to the hotel Manager Ruslan, who is very welcoming and helpful. Would definitely recommend this B&B to all budget-travellers, not willing to spend a fortune for their accommodation.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were large, the breakfast was adequate. The location is good, but very hard to find...be sure to follow the directions perfectly. Ruslan was helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Vanilla Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!