“Cheap option of accommodation in expensive Moscow” 3 of 5 stars

Basilica Hostel & Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Serebryanicheskiy Lane, 1a, Moscow 109028, Russia   |
Ranked #144 of 670 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
Hong Kong
“Cheap option of accommodation in expensive Moscow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in The Basilica (hotel portion) in May for 3 nights. The hotel is located in the city centre of Moscow and you can walk to the red square in about half an hour. It is about 15 minutes’ walk from the nearest metro station, so it is quite a walk when you carry your luggage or after a tiring day of visit in Moscow. There are also no stores or restaurants nearby. It is a must to go to the area surrounding the nearest Kitay Gorod metro station for food or supplies.

Rooms are basic and small but with a nice private bathroom. The staff there seems not friendly and helpful. However, in an expensive city like Moscow, it is a cheap option of accommodation if you prefer to have your own room with private bathroom.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you are looking for a comfortable central Hotel, this will be just right for you.
We booked a room with bathroom through a german platform and carried our confirmation (in german) with us that said that there is a bathroom, but they said there was no bathroom and we paid an additional fee to get better rooms in the upper building. I would absolutely recommend that. In this building the rooms were just renovated and very clean.

They offer breakfast which is very very basic and expensive, you'd better buy some things yourself in the supermarket Billa nearby as you can use the kitchen (a little dirty, full refrigerator... like every other shared kitchen)
The Metro and tram station are not far away, you can reach the Red Square by foot in about a quarter of an hour

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in early April 2012. It was easy to find, although a fair walk from Kitai Gorod metro station with bags. However, we are 60 and managed it, so younger people should have no trouble. For this it was within easy walking distance of Red Square and all the main sights. We did order breakfast on 2 days which was a little disappointing, and we would have been better at one of the many cafes nearby. As we were leaving on the Trans-Siberian late at night, we were very pleased that the hotel allowed us to leave our luggage after we had checked out, and allowed us to collect it at 10 pm! The staff were friendly and helpful and we would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget wanting to be near the centre of the city. All in all, we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: Go for the hotel rather than the hostel if you can afford it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Horta, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Dark, not cared for although it could be a nice place with a bit of paint, leaky fawcets that nobody seems to mind and a breakfast that does not deserve its name, sorry, maybe for young people but even though costly.

• Stayed March 2012
Mechelen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was here spring 2011 together with my girl, we had a room for only us, the bed wasn't very good, but it was a cheap place to stay near town centre.
Its also dificult to find, but its about the middle between 2 metro stations
There is no pool inside this hostel a small kitchen to share with the other rooms, its enough to manage a meal, only microwave to heat products

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

It was really difficult to find from the metro station and I went round in circles a few times, when u print out a map it fails to tell you that there are several exits and subways from the metro station it only showed one exit and I assummed i was following the map. Locals did not understand even when I showed them the map and used my magic caption "isvinite" which means excuse me. Eventually I recognised the blue steeple from the picture. It is in fact a magnificent church and do pop inside, however the Hostel staff Knew nothing about having a tour around it or climbing the spire as advertised!
The girl who booked me in was not hospitable, made me pay in change said she had none but when I bought extras she was able to miraculously obtain some from the safe behind her. She made me wait whilst she took 3 phone calls and was not at all a meeter or a greeter! The artwork around the halls was really good but a member off staff kept turning the light out so you could barely see at the end of the corridor. I was in a dorm which I will loosely call a room, Room 2 it had another door leading to another room inside it and was really a walk through for all the people in the room to go in and out through. Privacy means nothing. Unbeknown to me one dorm bed in the room which I can only describe as a nest was occupied by a member of staff and her boyfriend who came and went and she dictated when the lights went on or off and left the door open, people were just walking through all the time!
If you were wondering about breakfast, bring your own or eat out as they charge for a meagre breakfast of toast and coffee! Whoever stayed in my bunk b4 me left boots, a ph charger and clothes under my bed. I was told that he was a friend of a staff member, I moved his stuff out into the hall in a bag, thee floor was dirty and covered in hairs and I gave it a wipe and disenfectant spray around my bed. As my bed had black footmarks on it I borrowed a quilt from the bed above as no one was there. 3 members of staff came and trailed it off my bed. They were very hostile and I was almost afraid to sleep the first night.
The bathroom is smelly and dirty. On a poster it says it is cleaned every hour but I never saw ne1 clean it the whole time I was there. There is a kitchen,cooker fridge microwave, some people take over the tv room although it says u should not eat there! There is a 24 hour supermaket nearby if you cross over a bridge but at night it is dark waste ground and there are a lot of Drunks about so be careful! My towel was not changed whilst I was there and I had to sleep on my coat as the pillow was like a napkiin and they ignored my pillow request. As I say the church is remarkible but there is no way the staff r hospitable unless to the male visitors who frequent and leave baggage there. There is nothing in the Kitay Gorod area worth seeing at all and it is about a 20min walk to the station and to Red Square. If you can afford to stay somewhere else it will definately enhance your stay more!!!

Room Tip: Room 2 is a walkthrough room leading to another dorm and people are walking in and out at all hours...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

great location, but poor facilities: mixed toilettes (just 2) and showers. Clean toilettes, but the double room wasn't so clean, although it was big and comfortable. We had some problems with the registration. Bars, restaurants and supermarkets nearby. Kitaj Gorod is a great area to stay in Moscow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Basilica Hostel & Hotel? Share your experiences!