“Mixed feelings!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Otopeni B&B and Inns
london
“Mixed feelings!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I've given this hotel 3* because it was very good value, the airport shuttle was very efficient, and how many hotels do you know who start serving breakfast at 3.30am?
We struggled to find the hotel, which was not very well signposted, although in fairness we were extremely tired after travelling the Transfagarasan highway, and then getting lost when they shut the Centura Bucharest.
My husband and son were quite happy with the rooms, just wanting somewhere to sleep for a few hours, but I was not very happy when I saw several cockroaches in the bathroom, and my daughter's large window wouldn't shut, which was a security risk as we were on the ground floor.
Breakfast was served in a very hot room, there were stacks of trays.You were supposed to take a tray which was full of food, rolls , pastry, 2 yogurts, jam, butter etc. I just took a pastry and jam, which was okay, and the coffee was nice. I can't imagine the warm yogurt was very popular!
The hotel also had free internet access upstairs. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, phoning our car hire company for us.
The services this hotel offered were excellent, they just need to update the rooms, and improve the presentation of the breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We had an early flight out of Otopeni and didn't want to deal with the legendary Bucharest traffic and taxis right before a flight so we booked this hotel for our last night in Romania. It was great! Free airport shuttle whenever you need it (notify them in advance, though), breakfast that starts at 3:30am, and big rooms with free & fast wifi. We just took the evening to relax before our early flight. The staff was very nice and english-speaking, and the hotel is located near some restaurants & McDonalds when you get hungry. You have to cross the busy highway, but there is a crosswalk and drivers respect it. If you're nervous there is also a pedestrian overpass but it's further up the highway. Overall a very good stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sankt Petersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Charter, primarily because of its proximity to the airport and the free shuttle provided. I appreciated the large air conditioned room which was very clean and nice, the staff was friendly and helpfull. Nice to have internet access available. Continental breakfast could be better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We choose this hotel for our last night before leaving Romania.
It is close to the airport, and the best thing is the shutle to the airport.
It was not easy at all to find the hotel. There is no resturant in the hotel and we have to walk 1 km. to find a resturant around
The worse was the breakfast - no fresh bread, no eggs it was not tasty and not serve nice.
The room was big but the beds was narrow and not so comfortable

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

the only complaint is that they do not have a lift/elevator and at the entrance there are about 10 steps, so you have to shlep your luggage. otherwise, it is what they say it is, simple, inexpensive, connection hotel. early breakfast and shuttle. Glad i stayed, will recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Deerfield Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

General thoughts:
The Hotel Charter is exactly what I expected it to be: a typical dated European stopover hotel. It's in Otopeni, which is outside of Bucharest and is primarily an industrial area, so there is absolutely NO reason to stay here unless you are getting into Bucharest late at night or leaving early in the morning. I would strongly advise AGAINST trying to drive in the area at night, so if you do have a late flight, the Charter is a perfectly decent option. One nice plus was good high-speed wireless access for free.

Expectations:
Let me say this: if you come to the Charter expecting a luxurious resort in a swanky part of town, you're going to be sorely disappointed. It probably hasn't been updated since at least the late 80s, despite what they say at the hotel. There is also no smoking ban in Romania, so many of the rooms and indeed the hallways have the scent of smoke. It's not overpowering, but it's there, though as someone with severe allergies I have to say that it didn't bother me.

The room:
The room had synthetic hardwood floors and a typically uncomfortable European queen-sized bed. The sheet was a bit too small for the bed so it led to some sheet-pulling at night between my wife and myself (she always wins), and there were only two pillows. A decent-sized flatscreen TV with about 18 channels was a pleasant surprise, especially since many of the channels were English with Romanian subtitles. An AC unit was on the wall, though we didn't use it since it was the dead of winter. The bathroom was clean enough, though dated, and there was a hairdryer mounted on the wall.

Sleep:
Not the best night's sleep by a longshot. The mattress wasn't very comfortable and I could feel the springs pushing into me at night, though that didn't bother me too much because we were exhausted from the flight. What really bothered me, however, was the packs of stray dogs barking at each other seemingly underneath my window in the ungodly hours of the morning. There are a LOT of stray dogs in Romania since when the Commies took over, many families were forced to turn their beloved pets loose, allowing them to breed at an exponential rate. These dogs were having some kind of war outside our room, and it was NOT conducive to sleeping. The curtains were thin and not blackout curtains, so it was bright sunshine at 6:30am.

Food:
The restaurant was closed for renovations, so we had to go to the McDonald's across the street. In the morning, we ate a good-sized continental breakfast in the bar area, consisting of a stale loaf of french bread, a croissant, a chocolate pastry, ham, butter, jams, yogurt, an orange, and coffee/tea/juice.

Overall:
Would I stay here again? I'm not sure. Maybe the dog incident was isolated and doesn't happen every morning, but then again, maybe it wasn't. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the curtains were too thin, but if we were hard up for somewhere to stay after a late flight, I'd consider it. Maybe. Then again, there's a modern four-star hotel called the Angelo right across the street from the airport which is much more expensive than the Charter, but I think I might pay an extra 30 euro to actually sleep!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

They have free private transfers to the airport at any hour, although we did not take advantage of those because we had our own car. Free breakfast buffet starts at 3 am. No eggs, ham, cooked stuff until 7 am or so. But even between 3 and 7 am the food is decent. The hotel is 3 miles from the international airport and very close to Bucharest's belt route (although I do not recommend taking that road, they still have to work on it to make it acceptable) and also within walking distance to a McDonald's. Better restaurants are available, but you have to drive 1-2 miles (or walk if you feel up to it). There are lots of gas stations and banks/ATMs between the airport and the hotel. The hotel's restaurant was closed when we were there (mid September 2009). Plenty of parking available. The bathroom needed a little work, but I think it was ok for a 3-star Romanian hotel. It was on a quiet street, about 1 block from the main busy road. They also have free wireless internet (although we did not have our laptop to try it) and a computer on the 2nd floor's lobby with Internet access to be used by the guests (check email, IM, etc).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Charter Otopeni Airport? Share your experiences!