“That's what I call Coffee!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 156 restaurants in Cluj-Napoca
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
“That's what I call Coffee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have found a way to massively improve my productivity at work. The numbers simply add up better since I start my working day with a coffee at Olivo! Watching the boulevard, the people anxiously walking by in the morning and listening to some good old Jazz, help me catch the rythm of the day... And guess what? It is possible to drink your coffee in a different way than the classic espresso. Ask the barista and he will guide you on the journey from dripper to the chemex. You will find out that the coffee tastes better when is gently roasted, not simply burnt.
Another tip: the food can convince you to come back for lunch...but, there goes your productivity...
So, start with your morning coffee!
Although, it is raining so hard now, that I think I shall move my office here.

94% Recommend
  • Greek first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Lovely cafe great apple crumble”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stopped in on a beautiful October afternoon and enjoyed the deep wood atmosphere. Coffee selection and presentation is classy. I ordered the Apple crumble and it was fantastic. Only downside as with many Eastern European cafes is that smoking is permitted.

“Great cappuccino in Cluj”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The cappuccino was excellently prepared and presented with balanced foam and aromatic coffee beans. Delicious!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“wSuperlative selection of wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

As I am not really a fan of coffee, I have not sampled their extensive range but I understand from friends that those that they have sampled are very good. The list of fine wines from around the world is impressive and I would recommend the red Romanian wine Metamorphosis. The salads are delicious and the cheese platter is to die for and a fitting accompaniment to the wine I have suggested. Unfortunately the service isn't always the level you would expect from an establishment of this class.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bucharest, Romania
“Passionate about coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you love coffee, this is the place for you. I've lived in Italy, Israel and the UK and travelled all over Europe and Caffe Olivo has the best coffee I've drunk anywhere (sorry, Italians - it's true; but you still have the best pizzas).

Caffe Olivo roast their own coffee (you can buy some packed for you; they identify the origin of the coffee, lacking only the size of the grower's underpants). They also have a real range of coffees - in our five visits in 2 weeks, we tried cappuccino; a coffee with amaretto and cream (I think); pistachio cappuccino; frappe; iced coffee (almond and pistachio - latter was my favourite); and Italian barista (a mix of coffee, hot chocolate and cream; my wife described it as "the perfect drink"). Each coffee was beautifully presented (with special glasses for the "international" coffees) and well executed. In short, you can tell these people are passionate about coffee.

As for food - again, really good. We tried the Salata Foggia (chicken marinated in tomatoes, salad veg, croutons, mozzarella, olive tapenade - really good and up there with some of the salads I've had in Israel), turkey schnitzel, cheese steak ciabatta, caesar salad and pork loin with celeriac mash and pesto as well as the bruschette - all were excellent, with a real mix of flavours. As for the comment from another reviewer that the portions are small - I'd say they rightly emphasized quality over quantity. And although we wanted to try the deserts, after iced coffees and main course, we didn't have room.

Finally - drinks - some really well mixed and original cocktails (some without coffee!) including some non alcoholic cocktails (quince; grandma's cake) which went down a treat with our six year-old, mixing syrup, fresh juice and herbs/spices (e.g. basil; coriander; cinnamon) And I spotted some decent beers on their too - from Romanian lagers to Paulaner Weissbier.

Downsides - it's small and as per usual in Romania, no non-smoking area. But with high ceilings and the doors wide open onto the street terrace, it didn't bother me too much. I'd still take half a star off it though for that (as opposed to a whole star for Marty, where there is much more opportunity to section off an area for non-smokers).

• Visited August 2013