“best choise in Cluj” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Cluj

You added Ramada Cluj to your Saves list
Ramada Cluj
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calea Turzii 43 - 49, Cluj-Napoca 400193, Romania (Formerly Akantus Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
Dublin, Ireland
“best choise in Cluj”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

In Ramada the rooms are big and clean, wireless wi-fi is included into the price The showers have warm water. Gym is available, nice wellness with a pool-steaming room and sauna other than a fitness room, open from early morning to evening. the hotel has good breakfast, room service is expensive but ok quality. The location is near is a local shopping area. Excellent choice, I strongly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

It was my first time in this hotel and I have to say from the welcome to departure everything was perfect and well arrange. The swimming-pool on the top of the hotel is the place to go to relax of your day.The breakfast buffet is large with various selection for continental,american,... breakfast. Just one detail, it's a bit far from city center, especially in winter time when you don't walk outside to walk due to cold weather.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Whittier, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

To get 5 stars from me on a hotel review; the stars must align perfectly. The Akantus Hotel was close, With a few tweaks and considerations, it may well get to five stars. Yet is still think it may just be the most impressive place to stay in Cluj.

We have been to Cluj on several occasions. Usually we stay at one of the many lesser 3 star BnBs in the area. However, this time was special; our 1 year wedding anniversary. Just a short drive from our home we decided to go to Cluj for the Thursday and Friday festivities. Booked it online after seeing the pictures and reading the TA reviews. US visa, mastercard, and amex accepted.

We could not obtain proper directions to the Hotel. I mistakenly forgot to look at the map and figured since the staff spoke English and Romanian we could just call and ask for directions when we got to Cluj. The place is very easy to find. If the staff knows the city well enough to guide you. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Cluj is not the hardest city to navigate, but like most in Romania; streets are not properly signed. So this made us late for dinner. An Ounce of preparation will eliminate a future pound of pain.

Enough back-story, We checked into an apartment suite with lightning like efficiency. Reception is to be commended for their speed and hospitality. The room was as advertised. Newly styled and furnished, complete with a sitting area, big screen TV and priced mini bar. I called down to get an Iron. Within 3 mins the iron arrived; sans Ironing board. I must ask, why have an iron?; if not a board to iron upon? Oh well, used up few towels on the table and went to dinner a little bit wrinkly. .

As we were leaving for dinner, I mentioned to the receptionist the date significance and asked for a bottle of champagne to be in our room for our return. The barman provided 3 options for champagne: 1)Headache, 2) Way over priced and 3) That's just silly. I ordered the overpriced Moet and headed out.

We came back to the hotel around 1 am and the Champagne I had asked for was in our room on ice. Turn down service would have been awesome to see at this point. Alas; Cluj is not Vegas. Our room was comfortable and Quiet! The bed was short. I'm 6 ft and my feet were close to hanging off the end. Robes, extra pillows and blankets were available in the closet along with sewing kits,shoe shiners, slippers and all that extra stuff we all love to take home and never use. I think the building is temperature controlled so we had to open the windows. It was a bit warm. Likely from the sauna above. The view was average. Black out curtains were an appreciated touch the next day.

The room had an efficiency fridge/minibar and a European style espresso maker. For the life of me I could not figure out how to use the espresso machine. Not because i am a moron, but rather, (as i found out later the next day) it was unplugged and had a hidden power switch. An instruction manual would have been a welcome touch. So I staggered down to meet my wife at the breakfast buffet just before it closed. I was a wee bit hungover so I tried to stick to the basics. Eggs, bacon, toast, coffee, cheese, Muffins, apple juice, fruit, sparkling water. It was a great spread and i couldn't not enjoy it. Well done and well worth the additional money on the online booking option.

Do not disturb sign was honored the rest of the day. The bathtub Jacuzzi is a becoming option but there are no shower curtains. Please install shower curtains. I will never understand how people take a stand up shower without getting water everywhere!

Went to the gym/spa. The Fitness area is quaint but nice. Awesome view. The spa left much to be desired in amenities and size. For a boutique hotel it was very charming, but I have discovered many of the spa/wellness centers in Romania to be much more inclusive. The juice, water and food price in the spa were laughable. The lap pool was attractive and the ambient temperature in the Swimming area was very nice.

We did not try the restaurants other than the Breakfast Buffet. I love it when I do not have to go through long check-in/check-out procedures. Spoiled by many an on screen menu checkout i am very accustomed to just telling the hotel receptionist, leaving the keys in the room and going home without fanfare. Akantus had no issue with this and even emailed me copies of my invoice and receipt. Well done.

Over all, the Staff always makes for a great hotel. and Akantus did a bang up job. We had a great time. All the issues I presented are merely nitpicking. From top floor Spa to bottom floor receptions, the staff was kind, helpful and even entertaining. I don't think i will return to Akantus, but i certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to make an impression. I think they are trying to set a new standard for the hotel industry in Romania. As a frequent international traveler, I must say they are making steps in the right direction.

Room Tip: get the breakfast included. Hours are 7-11
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I recently stayed here for business and found the hotel to be really great. The hotel is new which is always a plus and the rooms are nice as well the amenities are excellent. Free Wifi, great TV and room layout/setup. I did not get a chance to use the SPA but the pool on the roof top has to be a big plus. We used one of the large conference rooms for a company meeting and it worked just perfectly for us. I will definitely be using this hotel for all future stays in Cluj. I used to always stay only at Opera Plaza.

Room Tip: the hotel is on a major street that leaves the town of Cluj so I would request a room that does not...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

New hotel with nice rooms and decent prices. Funny way to park your car in the hotel garage, trough an elevator....
360SPA from the last floor is excellent. Make sense to add your swimming suit together with your ties...
Breakfast not so varied. Coffee from some standard coffee machine.
Overall decent experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Biel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was the first time in Akantus hotel for business purpose for just two days. I'm very happy with everything and can warmely rocommand this hotel. The rooms are very modern, clean and equipped with the most modern infrastructure like free of charge WiFI, TV, furniture, aircondition, etc.
The pool on top of the hotel with the view over the city is overwelming. The small sauna is nice and the steam bath eather.
The staff is very much custom oriented and willing to make the stay as comfortable as possible for the guests.
The restaurant was not crowded but offered a nice atmospahre, good quality food and friendly service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I didn' t stay in this hotel, I was only one evening at the pool. Very clean, very good services. It's pretty expensive for guests but you can see from the pool, situated on the roof , a big part of the city.
If you want few hours of total relaxing time but feeling the pulse of Cluj and enjoying a splendid view I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Ramada Cluj? Share your experiences!