Please note that this a “Novotel Resort” and not like a regular “Novotel” so the facilities and standards are not the same. Secondly, I would like to add a warning for anyone who is planning to come from Pierrefonds airport. There is no direct public transport from Pierrefonds to anywhere in the north or centre of the Island. Flights to Pierrefonds may be cheaper but you will pay at least 80-130 Euros in one-way taxi fee between this Novotel and Pierrefond. The hotel does have arrangements for travel between Roland Garros, which is much cheaper.
Bedroom – As many other reviewers have mentioned, it really could do with a new coat of paint. My room had definite signs of damp on the walls near the aircon unit. You get a desk unit and adequate storage spaces. An in-room safe and a fridge are provided. No iron or ironing board, which I have always had at every other Novotel I’ve used. Instead you have to use the “ironing room” near reception which has just one iron and ironing board so it could be inconvenient if several people want to use it as once. TV has no English language channels whatsoever, not even BBC News or CNN, which was a little annoying. Free wifi made up for that though. There is decent amount of closet space
Bathroom – split in two with separate WC and shower rooms. Not a very practical way of doing things as other reviewers have mentioned. Seeing as this is a French hotel in a French territory I would have expected a bidet so disappointed there wasn’t one. usual Novotel toiletries, which are of a decent quality. Towels didn’t smell clean – faint whiff of body odour. Shower over bath, which unfortunately was loose so you have to hold the shower head to shower as it won’t stay up on the wall. Saw a lot of ants in the bathroom(s).
Facility – We did suffer the occasional powercut, but it never lasted too long. There are two large pools. Lots of entertainment and activities for kids. Tennis courts. A bar and restaurant where the main meals are available. There is also a Europcar car rental desk and a Tourist Excursions desk too, both of which are very useful.
Locale – this is a fantastic location. The beautiful L’Hermitage beach is at the back of the hotel. Come out of the front entrance and turn right and you will soon come across a supermarket, ATM, lots of restaurants and retail outlets. Buy your food and drink here, as the hotel prices are bad value for money.
Language barrier – when it comes to complaints here about language issues, I think this one comes down to your attitude. If you are visiting any of the Indian Ocean islands then it’s sensible to learn a little bit of French beforehand. If you are visiting Reunion then it is foolish NOT to learn some French beforehand. This is, technically, a part of France after all. I picked up and rifled through a phrasebook a week before I arrived and even though my French was very poor, everyone I dealt with in Reunion, both inside and outside the hotel, was appreciative that I was at least making an effort. I would recommend at least some basic preparation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the west coast at one of the most beautiful swimming spots on Reunion Island, just 2 km from the centre of town, the Relais de l'Hermitage Saint Gilles La Reunion features 173 airconditioned rooms, two swimming pools, a childrens pool, a jacuzzi, 2 tennis courts, 2 restaurants, a bar and two private car parks. Enjoying direct access to Hermitage Beach, the hotel is ideal for a family holiday fully enjoying the magic of Reunion Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Relais de l'Hermitage Saint-Gilles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Saint-Gilles La Reunion Hotel Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
- Novotel Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
- Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains Novotel
- Relais De L'Hermitage Saint-Gilles Reunion Island/Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains