“Peaceful, relaxing resort.” 5 of 5 stars

J.C. Zuleta St, Poblacion South, Iloilo City, Iloilo Province, Philippines   |
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Peaceful, relaxing resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Quiet, peaceful, luxurious. Staff were the most polite and helpful we have come across. Lovely pool, and can recommend the sunset sailing in a Hobie Sailing Catamaran
This resort took us by surprise in every respect.: the accommodation is all you could ask for and the royal suite in particular is spacious with modern facilities. the staff were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The pool (right outside our balcony was lovely.,it was quite big (30 metres long) and at no point above head level in depth. The "promenade" which runs adjacent to the dining area, is a great feature and we spent a few happy hours in the shade there drinking iced tea. breakfast is included but the choice is limited and the quantities quite small. A refill coffee or fruit juice is extra but only 45 pesos so it puzzled us why they bother with this. The resort is really great value anyway so we gladly coughed up the extra few pesos at breakfast. The owner personally introduced himself and when he discovered i had sailed for GB in several world championships, insisted that my wife and I went hobie cat sailing with him for free . This was a lovely personal touch and we even went sunset sailing with him later in the day. We have been to the Philippines on many occasions over the last 10 years (my wife is Filipina), usually to Boracay, and i can honestly say that this is the most relaxing holiday we have ever had there.

Room Tip: Restaurant Tip: Some cheap and cheerful restaurants in the main road immediately outside the resort...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
København, Danmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We (2 adults + 2 kids) Stayed for three nights in Anhawan and the price for our room (Baron Suite for 6500 pesos a day) was acceptable and affordable:). Hot wather and pure Scandinavian style luxury:). The restaurant was too expensive compared to other resorts in f. ex. Guimaras:). The service was great. In a short notice, the owner helped us to get a car within an hour. A super tuned Toyota Innova for 2500 pesos a day incl. insurance!:)
I can recommend Anhawan for short stays, especially if youre visiting family nearby, as we did during our stay, celebrating Christmas in Miagao (some 30 km from Oton).
Before going to Anhawan, we were in Panglao Island, Bohol enjoying the white beach there. The beach in Anhawan is black and my kids was a little scared of bathing there. However, they have a great and clean pool:)

Enjoy staying in Anhawan for short periods:)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bacolod, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I like the place. Suitable for person like me who wants peace of mind and nature lovers. They are so accommodating. Even though that they have limitations and tight rules and regulation, they served the guest so well. They have this Ilonggo hospitality which myself as guest from other place find it unique. I experienced their watersports activity recently. I tried the sailing. And I want to enroll in their sailing lesson on my next visit. Another good spot in improving Iloilo. For me, excellent start for tourism.

Room Tip: Baron suites is my choice!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
iloilo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I love the rooms and the tasteful decors which you do not expect to experience outside Iloilo City. Even the hotels in the city itself will fail short in the designs of their rooms. The manager is accommodating, and they are very courteous.

On the otherhand, when we were having lunch at their restaurant, I saw that their crew was over extended. It seems that it is the chef himself who serve us the food. The food is served small. We ordered mixed veggies and one of my guest said that it is yummy but it looks like it is floating on an apple sauce.

One colleague and client that I billeted there complained that the room for Php 6500 is too expensive. And it has no hot shower at the same time. Granting that they are seasoned traveler, I couldn't argue more.

They really have to keep up with the standards even if it is lean season, coz when we were there, the beach looks so dirty and the grass was not cut.

For Ilongos, putting up a resort as nice as these one is a brave step in promoting Iloilo, I know they could do more. Or perhaps they should address the feed backs found herein, for it will be good in maintaining their guests and promoting Iloilo as well as the next big thing in Phl.if not then it is a black eye in promoting Iloilo that way.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I was with my wife "ShawieC" in the below review. I have several things to add to her review.

NOTE: this facility is supposedly very recently "under new management", so this is a WARNING to take the multiple positive reviews more than a month old (i.e. before November 2010) with a grain of salt. The huge number of incidents that indicate bad service seem to show that the new management is TERRIBLE. STAY AWAY.

- Our $100+ room did NOT include any "wellness activity" like in yunesa's review below; not even any meals

- when we asked if we could have breakfast with our double priced room (>$100), the front desk lady LIED through her teeth and said they didn't have a kitchen nor restaurant, because their customers are mostly corporate groups that bring their own caterers. They said we'd have to drive into town to eat breakfast(!)... and we didn't have our own car. We were stuck. I was incredulous, until... that evening we found out about the breakfast vouchers for the restaurant, given to other members of our party who had rooms with half the price. Then when we had our breakfast the next day, they told me I couldn't have a coffee refill, nor chopped onions and tomatoes in my omelet, because "it wasn't in the budget" ! (as mentioned by ShawieC)

- the same lady LIED that the room phones were "not operational yet" - it turned out that the half-priced rooms had functional phones and only ours was broken

- we were asked to pay for the room BEFORE checking in

- it was a weekend and when we asked to talk to the manager, we were told that they weren't around and couldn't be contacted

- we were there for a family member's wedding, and an agreed-upon amount of beer was purchased from Anhawan. During the reception, this beer came out in small trickles and they had to be called on it; I suspect they were trying to shortchange us.

- the ballroom ladies' room was dirty

- and had no toilet paper and we had to ask for it twice

- I had to ask them to turn on 2 more a/c units in the ballroom; they initially only had 2 on and they weren't enough

- they refused to open the back entrance to the ballroom for the wedding reception's caterer, for some vague, lame, "company policy" reason - as a result the caterers had to carry the food through the front entrance, threading their way past the guests

- Anhawan had initially refused to make the 2nd floor bathrooms available for the guests, expecting the guests to go downstairs to use the bathroom

- the beach is nothing special (gray sand, cloudy water), by Philippine standards

- their "cabanas" (rooms in their own standalone structures) roofs do not have any venting, so when it's sunny and hot, the a/c struggles to bring the inside temperature down to bearable. It escapes me why any architect would not vent a ceiling space in the tropics.

- the cabanas don't have a veranda facing the sea

- almost nothing to do there - other beach resorts have windsurfing, banana boats, scuba diving, and Wifi access

- the bar appeared permanently closed (November is low season)

- the room had high windows with no shades and the adjacent room's patio lights shone in at night

- grounds have few shade trees

No wonder the room's bathroom was full of cobwebs. Nobody wants to stay there!

The few positives
- beach faces west so you see the sunset
- their one smallish infinity pool is quite pretty, but no diving board
- comfy beds

In contrast, as an example, the Coco Grove resort in Siquijor, is half the price, has nicer grounds with more shade, has excellent food and service, has a bar that is actually open (with more drink choices), has a white sand beach with clear water, and has windsurfing, banana boats, good scuba diving, several hikes and islands you can go to etc.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

My sister had her wedding here so I decided to stay the night hoping that I will be able to recover from jet-lag pretty quickly. I checked in and paid Ph4500 cash for my room only to find out later on that my sister's room which is relatively the same as mine only costs her Ph1900. My very expensive room did not have a telephone and it did not include breakfast. My sister's room, which was half the cost of mine, included breakfast and had a phone in the room. When I complained about this, all they can say is sorry. I would have been happy if at least they gave us free breakfast to compensate for having to walk back and forth. To top it off, they didn't even have any vanity kit inside the room. We didn't even have a roll of toilet paper. I had to walk to the front desk and ask for one. Ir didn't even a hairdryer for pete's sake! If you go inside the bathroom, there were cobwebs all over. I guess I was being punished because I can afford to pay Ph4500 for a room! I can't believe this place was more expensive than Coco Grove in Siquijor which has 5-star accommodations.

This place will nickle and dime you! We decided to have breakfast on premise which was around Ph150. My husband asked if he can have his eggs cooked with onions. I couldn't believe my ears when our waiter said that there is an extra charge for it because the cost of onions is not included. I asked for a 2nd cup of coffee and I was told that there is an extra charge for it as well. My God, for Ph4500 a night - they should be able to afford an extra cup of coffee for me, right! They didn't have internet access either! I will stay away from this place if you can help it. The staff were very well trained to say NO. As a matter of fact, they have mastered it. How this place survived, I have no idea!

The only best thing about this place is the sunset. It was beautiful and that is probably why my sister decided to have her wedding here. Otherwise, everything else sucked big time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Cascais, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I would like to start my review by giving the positives first before I proceed with the negatives. The positive side of staying here at Anhawan Beach Resort and Spa in Oton, Iloilo includes the following:
1. Spacious area even in a standard accommodation. Imagine more than 10 square meters of area - and that's just for your bath room!
2. Serene environment perfect for family getaway and those who wanted to stay out of the busy city of Iloilo. I call it the hidden gem of Iloilo.
3. The first and only first-class resort with spa in Iloilo.
4. with living quarters and residential community inside which are available for sale.
5. Accepts major credit cards like VISA, MC, JCB and AMEX.
6. with small refrigerator inside each room.
7. with your own personal butler who will be at your service and will even personally knock on your door for your wake up call.
8. they provide all units/villas/suites with umbrellas for each door entrance as the rooms are quite far away from the main building and restaurants.
9. stunning beauty of the place just in front of the beach.
10. they have a wellness rate of 4,500++ Pesos per room per night that includes two wellness activities and full board meals.
11. with internet access at the restaurant (but unfortunately I was busy enjoying the beach whenever I go over the restaurant).
12. One of the property's greatest asset is the staff. They are very accommodating. Vicon gave me a small token, a key chain for visiting the place. She also provide directions in getting to the city. The butler, kitchen staff, etc. are all very hospitable and warm- a very good example of Filipino hospitality.
13. The restaurant and food was nice and so with the lady chef. The Azul bar and Grill and Galley restaurant are a delight especially at sunset.
14. They offer horsebackriding at 75/round, jetski at 3,500/hour and tour of the city/town at 1,000 Pesos per three hours. Itinerary will include a tour of the Iloilo church and some museums.
15. They accept massage services from 1pm to 8pm. My massage though was very nice. The therapist named Jo, was very professional, knowlegeable and massage was a lot better than those that I experienced at SM mall in Iloilo city.
16. 5 minutes away from Oton municipal city hall.
17. Stunning beauty of the outdoor pool, even if its small. The fact is, it is situated just in front of the beach.
18. They also have an aviary inside.
19. Yoga classes on Saturdays with Ravi. But please bring your own yoga mat.

Negatives:
1. The place is far from the airport and city of Iloilo. The base rate for taxi is 800 Pesos (approximately $16) from the airport and 300 Pesos (approximately $6) from SM city Iloilo. It took me 40-50 minutes (sometimes they say, if the cab will not take the short cut, travel time will be 1 hour and 15 minutes) coming from the airport and 15-25 minutes coming from SM city mall.
2. This is not the place for you and you will find this place boring and an unexciting if you: like food hopping, are alone, like to shop, want to hop around from one city to the next or want to get to know locals and like night life.
3. No vanity kit, shaving kit, dental kit, shower cap, hand and body lotion available but if needed, you still have to request from the housekeeping. Only two pieces of soap and shampoo/conditioner will be provided.
4. No way for you to hang your toiletries inside the bathroom shower.
5. No room service provided. You are also discouraged to bring in food from the outside. So I wonder, what's the refrigerator inside the room for?
6. no safety deposit boxes for deluxe and standard rooms.
7. there are no stationery kit and no tip envelope (so I gave my tip for the housekeeping to Vicon, their head on duty at that time).
8. The spa menu is not available inside the room and at the time of my visit, only provides in-room massage services. Be prepared to pay more though, it costs 600 pesos minimum (approximately $12 for an hour).
9. If you are going outside the resort, it will take at least 5-10 minutes of walk going towards the gate. Too far a walk for me, especially when it's warm and humid outside or its pouring rain- you will be really wet when you step in your room.

I just regret not having to request any of the staff to take my photos.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Anhawan Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!