“Special” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westown Hotel

You added Westown Hotel to your Saves list
Westown Hotel
Glicerio T. Pison Benigno Aquino Drive, | Mandurriao, Iloilo City, Iloilo Province 5000, Philippines   |
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Iloilo City
Boracay
“Special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We arrived late at night around 10PM because of the long journey. During check-in time, the receptionist did not make us sign a registration form nor gave us a receipt for our accommodation which we thought was odd but was okay. Anyway we paid in the amount indicated in their website. We were there for a special day and a first time in Iloilo! They gave us free tickets to swim in their small water park called El Dorado (it looks deep in pictures) but the deepest part is just above my hips. Did not swim much though.

Rooms were clean. But in the Bathroom, at first the shower water is brownish-yellowish-brownish but asked Maintenance to fix this and was okay afterwards.

Their Mini-bar was all we asked for. The bed was so comfy and very nice AC (it is very important for me).

In the night (we are party goers), we did not have to walk much since we are in the center of everything. Best place to stay when your purpose is to party all night long!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Before considering a stay at this hotel, it is important to understand what you are getting yourself into! This hotel is located in Smallville in Iloilo City and during the day is very quiet and inactive. Some of the Smallville restaurants don't even open until dinner time. But when night falls, the people arrive and the whole area springs to life! It also becomes very noisy.

Important tip: Request a room facing away from the club (unless you want to sleep with earplugs in, but that may not even be enough to quell the rhythmic thumping emanating from the hotel owned club across from the lobby called MO2 Ice).

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December. We were able to get promo rates so the hotel was very affordable. The first night we stayed in a deluxe room facing the club (oops). The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hotel staff were very helpful for any requests we had. A few of us were sick and we ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night. Staff brought us a new roll within minutes of making the request. The only problem with the room was the rhythmic thumping that began around 9 pm from the club. Everyone in my family was exhausted and had no trouble sleeping (especially our kids, 10, and 2) except for me as I had a mild flu that in combination with the thumping prevented me from getting almost any sleep.

For our second and third nights we upgraded to a Junior Suite facing away from the club. The room was huge and had a center partition with the beds on the right of it and a small living room with a chair, couch, center table, fridge, and LCD TV. The TV was on swivel stand so you could flip it and watch it from the beds. Our older daughter loved going back and forth from the beds to the couch watching cartoons. Our youngest daughter loved running around the room giggling. The bathroom was clean and large, and the shower was fantastic. I believe the rooms have individual hot water heaters as the hot water would run out after about 5-10 minutes of use.

The WiFI network was not very stable and I had a lot of difficulty keeping our devices connected to it whenever it was available. We frequently had to go to the front desk to use the WiFi as it was more stable. The hotel staff did everything possible to help but I think the problem is the devices are low quality (Linksys Wireless G routers for the visible ones). The internet was down only for an hour or two during our entire stay.

The area around the hotel called Smallville is fantastic for restaurant options during the day and clubs at night. Although we had children with us and didn't use the clubs except for a brief visit on our last night, we walked around the Smallville area and ate at a few of the restaurants. They were very reasonably priced and the food quality was exceptional! One restaurant we highly recommend is the Filipino restaurant called Bauhinia. You will not be disappointed! Another plus is the river boardwalk which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. We didn't realize it was within walking distance until late on our last night! The next time we stay at Westown, we will definitely spend a lot more time here!!!

There is also a water-park at this hotel which the kids will just love. With your room reservation, you get 4 tickets per day for the water-park. You can also get your hand stamped for re-entry.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant each morning and it was decent. There is not a lot of options but the staff are friendly and attentive and the food was acceptable.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Westown but it is not for everyone.

Room Tip: Request a room facing away from the hotel club if you want a good nights sleep! DO NOT book the Cha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I stayed at Westown Iloilo for 1 night last Dec. 26, 2012. Because of a typhoon, our boat trip to Guimaras was cancelled so our group of about 20 had to stay in Iloilo for the night. During check-in, my wife wanted to be booked at the main building, but the front desk told us that there was not enough room for us, so most of us had to stay at the pool side rooms.

That night, while the kids were asleep, our next room guests were a bit noisy. So my wife called the front desk to report this. The front desk asked if we wanted to transfer room, but my wife replied that the kids were already asleep, and requested them to just inform the next room guests to lower their voices. She agreed, and after a few minutes the noises went down. Just before 10pm, while my wife and I were about to sleep, we started hearing loud music and singing from outside the room. My wife called the front desk and asked about the noise. We were informed that the music/singing were from the ICE Bar, which is inside the hotel premises. She asked up to what time the band/singing/music will be, and the girl said that it is up to 2am and that the band plays everynight. My wife asked the girl if they can ask the ICE Bar to lower their volume because we couldn't sleep. She informed us that though the ICE Bar is part of the hotel premise, it is being managed by somebody else. My wife said that with that loud music, we just couldn't sleep, and we said if they can just request the Bar to lower their noise.

After sometime, the loud music/singing continued so my wife called the front desk again and asked if they can do something about it. This time that girl sounded irritated and answered my wife in a rude / disrespectful manner in Tagalog, "eh m'am kanina pinanalipat kayo ayaw niyo eh". Upon hearing such words, my wife became upset and argued with the girl that they should have informed us when we were checking in that it the pool side rooms would be noisy at night (since these loud music happens everynight), and that during check-in, we wanted to stay at the main building instead of the pool side room but were informed that there were no rooms/not enough rooms for us. After the conversation, my wife put down the phone and tried to went back to sleep.

After some time again, BOTH of us couldn't sleep because the music because even louder. So, this time, I called and talked to the front desk lady, and asked them to talk to the BAR to request them to lower the volume, which I believe they have a right to request because they own the place. We tried going to sleep but really could not. After some time , we still could not sleep. So I called the front desk again, THIS TIME, the phone just kept ringing. I let it rang for about 8 minutes but no one answered. Then after sometime I tried calling again, this time I let the phone rang for about 10 minutes, but no one really answered. I figured that the front desk lady was ignoring our call. So I asked my wife to go to the front desk while I hang on the phone listening to it ring. I also asked my wife to get the name of the lady because I wanted to file a complaint the next day so I need to know the name of the lady, and I will also write a review here (Trip Advisor).

True enough, when my wife arrived at the front desk, the phone was ringing. So my wife confronted the front desk lady and asked why she wasn't answering the phone. She said that she is alone and the other person present at that time was from housekeeeping and was not allowed to answer the phone. My wife asked the lady her name, and she said "Rose Mae". My wife asked her to write it down because she wanted to get the name right. So the girl scribbled her name on a piece of paper but her second name was not clear. My wife then asked her to write the second name clearly. The girl rewrote the name clearly but she "threw" the paper on the counter in a visibly ride manner. Then she crossed her arms and looked away from my wife. My wife asked her why she is angry ("bakit ikaw pa ang galit"?), the girl answered "it's because of you ("eh kayo eh!" or something like that), then she went to the back room. She just walked out on my wife. Talk about BAD attitude and BAD customer service! This girl, Rose Mae Granada is not fit to be a customer service representative!

(About the the loud music / live band, it did not subside, it became even louder after midnight. And instead of 2am, which Rose Mae said, the music/singing/noise ended at 4:30am).

The following day, my sis-in-law learned of the incident and wanted to confront Rose Mae about it. She asked why she was rude towards my wife, but instead of apologizing or explaining the situation, she (Rose Mae) crossed her arms and in a very rude manner answered my sis-in-law and tossed the blame for her behavior to my wife.

We wanted to talk to the manager or supervisor about the behavior of Ms. Rose Mae Granada but there was no one higher than her around, at least that was what we were told by the other 2 front desk staff around that morning. After a few minutes we came back and wanted to talk to Rose Mae, but the 2 front desk staff (Ms. Lani and Ms Carla) informed us that Rose already punched out.

We have stayed at so many hotels in our years of travelling (local and foreign), and have never ever encountered such kind of customer service from a hotel staff. Unless this hotel does something about such kind of customer service, please avoid this hotel. Spare yourselves the headache and stress of having to deal with such kind of customer service. It's definitely the worst you can experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Human Resource O, Manager at Westown Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest/s,
Thank you for providing us the feedback and review of your stay at Mo2 Westown Hotel. Your reviews were raised to the Company's meeting and the attention of the frontdesk receptionist was also called.

Mo2 Westown Hotel is a hotel strategically is located at Smallville area, the party place in Iloilo and is surrounded by Party Clubs and Disco bars.

As mentioned, December 26, 2012 was a time that Iloilo is also warned of the low pressure and that several trips both ferry and airlines had cancelled trips and your family was one of those who considered to stay with us.

The front desk staffs who were on duty (Shift B) accommodated your booking with us, with the ready available rooms for check in which the booked you at the Chalet which is across the ICE Bar. Thus, their failure to inform your family of the noise/sound that came across from the bar that may interfere to the time of rest should have done prior check in might have given you options.

The Staff that had been mentioned in the reviews was a diff staff since from 10:00pm to 6:00am a diff staff is on duty for the grave yard shift.

The requests coming from guest to request to tone down the sounds coming from the ICE Bar is unfortunately could not be done since it is managed by a different entity.

The Frontdesk staff has offered an option of room transfer, since available rooms has been noted on her shift.

Room availabilities might differ on every shift., since there are some guests who might have a late check out or might have shortened their stays. Although our check out time is 12:00noon, on records and experiences there are guests who prefers to check out even as late as midnight.

In reference to the glass door that was broken, staffs were sincere enough to address to the management that the upset guests was the one who broke the glass door as she slammed it on her way back to Chalet. The Maintenance Supervisor had stated that since it was a strenuous night both for the guest/s and the front desk on duty, the concerns and the broken door should be properly discussed the following day. But to no avail, the intention to charge it to the guests or to discuss the concerns was not made since guests has decided to check out.

Although Mo2 Westown Hotel belongs to a hospitality industry, we always strive to improve the quality of services that we provide by means of acknowledging guests reviews/ concerns and complaints.

Staffs will always be re-trained to improve skills, but human as they are they are still susceptible to react on the circumstances that they may faced and the treatment they received from the guest/s. Unbecoming behaviors with the intention to berate guests will not be tolerated by the management. Staffs are always reminded to provided complete information to the guests prior check in and to provide options to the guests in order to accommodate them properly .

On the other hand, the management would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the guests had experience. The staff concerned had issued a letter of explanation to the management in light of the situation.

Thank You for sending and providing us feedback.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Our family of twenty-four people stayed there en route to our destination of guimaras last week; due to the typhoon, boat trips were cancelled and our travel agency booked us at Westown. The rooms are clean enough, nothing amazing, and in fairness to the waiters in the hotel's small restaurant, they were attentive and helpful.

HOWEVER, their front desk is absolutely terrible when it comes to customer service! One thing you should know, Westown is right smack in the middle of a compound full of supposed clubs (our tour guide referred to them as discos, go figure) and bars, and Westown wasn't equipped to dull out the sounds of drunk singing which began around 10pm to 4:30am. I have an aunt who was staying in the outdoor "villa," and that night, their neighboring unit was full of people who were loud and rowdy. She has two children sleeping, and as such, she called the front desk and asked to have them tell the neighbors to quiet down. The front desk personnel asked my aunt if she wanted to switch rooms, but since her kids were already asleep, she just asked them to keep it down. In a few minutes, the neighbors did. So okay. However, about an hour later, my aunt and uncle still could not sleep due to the loud drunken karaokeing, so she called the front desk a second time to inform them of the noise and if it was possible to do anything about it. The front desk girl (because I refuse to call her a lady!) immediately and loudly retorted in Tagalog, "didn't I already ask you if you wanted to switch rooms earlier?!?!" With that attitude, of course my aunt and uncle went to the front desk to speak to her in person. The girl (her name was May/Mae/Rose) was rude and obnoxious and unapologetic, and when asked for her name she mumbled so as not for her to hear it properly. So when my aunt asked for her to write her name on a piece of paper, she rudely scribbled it in a way it was difficult to read, and tossed it across the counter to my aunt, and promptly crossed her arms and defiantly looked at her. My aunt was furious and asked her what her problem was and the girl just stalked off into the back room behind the front desk counter. Unable to do more, my aunt and uncle returned to their room, but informed our group of what happened.

The next morning, on the way to breakfast in the hotel restaurant, my other aunt passed by the front desk and asked in a polite manner the same girl (May/Mae/Rose) why she treated my aunt the night before in such an unprofessional and rude manner. May/Mae/Rose/whatever angrily retorted in Tagalog, "because she was rude to me too!!!!" This aunt of course got mad as well, and told her that wasnt any way to treat a guest, but the girl was rudely spouting nonsense continuously, even when asked to speak to the manager. My aunt rushed to get her camera to take a photograph of her so she could complain to the manager, but the girl once again ran into the back room. Later, two other receptionists came out and when asked to see May/Mae/Rose, they said she had already clocked out. My aunts (both of them now) were furious, and demanded to speak to her but she had supposedly left in a hurry. When our travel agent arrived at the hotel, they relayed the incident to her but the two receptionists were not able to produce the original girl (May/Mae/Rose). Seeing as how things could not be resolved, my aunts just decided to wait for the manager's call to complain.

Anyway, we were checking out that morning since the weather was good and we were leaving for guimaras already, when the two receptionists informed us that my aunt (the first one who complained) would be charged for a glass door that she had supposedly broken. They claimed that the first receptionist from last night (the same May/Mae/Rose) had endorsed that claim to them when she clocked out, and that she claimed two waiters saw my aunt hit the door causing a long horizontal crack in the glass door. My aunt, who is petite and barely 5'2, disputed the claims since 1) the day and night we were there, the door was being used by not only us but also two parties of people as there was a debut and children's party in that building, 2) if it were true that the waiters saw her as she broke the glass door, why didn't they immediately tell her, 3) why didn't front desk inform my aunt immediately as it was reported to them, 4) the waiters were off duty and unable to tell the story to us, 5) the hotel had NO CCTV CAMERAS to back their claim, and 6) our group hardly used that door as we used a different entrance/exit. Likewise the two receptionists did not at any time in the morning my aunts were at the front desk complaining about May/Mae/Rose inform us about the glass door charge. My aunts refused to pay for the door, and the hotel said they would charge the travel agent who arranged our accommodation at Westown. Ridiculous!

Do not stay at Westown if possible. Their service is disgusting (except for the restaurant waiters, they were nice and helpful) and really appalling! They obviously were not educated right in a manner befitting graduates of a decent hotel management degree. Even if my aunt was rude to the front desk (which she wasn't, there were witnesses), no way the girl should have answered back, because as everyone knows, the customer is always right! This hotel is unprofessional and inadequate! They give Iloilo a bad name! Horrible front desk treatment! That girl is disgraceful and should be fired! She is enough to make our big group (whose first time to Iloilo was during her watch!) make us not want to return to Iloilo ever again! We have traveled everywhere and never received such bad service! I hope they've let her go already as she does not deserve to be in the hospitality industry. Disgusting.

• Stayed December 2012
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here last Oct. 25-27, 2012 to attend a conference. We had a Deluxe room for P1500 a night (discounted price for advance booking >1month) but breakfast is not included. The rooms are clean, with hot and cold shower. They have a restaurant in the ground floor but then food is not a problem since there are several restaurants nearby and SM mall is just 5 minutes away by jeepney. They have a nice pool- El Dorado Waterpark. The staff are courteous, accommodating and very attentive to your needs.
We had a nice stay here except for the blaring bands from the nearby bar until the wee hours of the night echoing in our room. We requested to be transferred but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked at that time.
If you want to have a good night sleep, request for a room far away from the bar. We were in the 2nd floor.
I would recommend this hotel for its location and good value for money.

Room Tip: Request for a room far from their bar if you are in the 2nd floor. Book a room in the 4th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This wasn't my first time to stay at the Westown in the Smallville area in Iloilo - the first when it was still relatively new, the last being just this past weekend, and several times in between. In general, I like to stay here because it's great value for money at around P2000 per night. However, I have seen some wear and tear starting to show but nothing too glaring to make one reconsider a 2nd consecutive night.

The Room.
The size is pretty average - not big, but not too small either. I usually just go for the very basic deluxe room, which is their cheapest. But it's pleasant enough to be cozy and comfortable. The only downside that I observed was that the safe in the closet is pretty tiny. Definitely too small to even fit my 11" MacAir so it was kinda useless to me.

The Bed.
On this last stay, I actually felt a bit disapointed. I'd always remembered their beds to be very comfortable with sheets and duvets that make you just want to stay in bed the entire day. But on this visit, I found the sheets and duvet to be less pristine white as I remembered them and you could tell that they have had more than their share of time spent in the washing machine.

The Bathroom.
The water pressure in the toilet bowl was a bit weak that I found myself using the trash bin as a bucket to dump water from the shower to flush. But despite this, there was a reason to smile - plenty of hot water and the water pressure in the shower is strong.

Overall, it was still a pretty pleasant 2 nights. The room's strong points actually cancelled out it's flaws. I will still choose to stay here in my future trips to Iloilo.

Room Tip: Smallville is a party zone with several clubs in and around the hotel. If you're a light sleepe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Himamaylan, Negros Occidental, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I really enjoyed our stay here! We booked a room at a discounted price. Checking inn was a breeze and staffs are friendly. What makes this hotel recommendable is their location. It's in smallville and a walking distance to SM and Plazuela. :) I also love the comfort of their bed, reminds me of home. We had a Deluxe room, got 2 complimentary bottled water, coffee and tea. Basic toiletries are also provided. They have great amenities too ( MO2 Ice, El Dorado Waterpark etc. ) and free WIFI inside the room! I highly recommend this hotel for those who plan to visit Iloilo.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westown Hotel? Share your experiences!