“Understaffed! Overrated what more can I say” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites

You added Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lopez Jaena-Malaspina Streets, Capitol Shopping Center, Bacolod, Negros Occidental 6100, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Bacolod
Bacolod, Philippines
“Understaffed! Overrated what more can I say”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Me and my wife decided to book 4 rooms, which included by the way an executive suite starting on the 7th of january in preparation for our wedding, not to mention I recommended this same hotel to a couple of friends and relatives of ours on the same day since they too were our guests on our wedding, and it was a because of a series of unfortunate inconveniences that prevented me from giving this hotel a much higher rating. Upon checking in I noticed some awards and recognition on the front desk from both Agoda and Tripadvisor so I would assume tht this hotel would be giving me the best service possible, unfortunately, tht was not the case, I noticed tht during our entire stay, getting help from the staff was challenging, it would take an average wait of around 10-15 min before anyone would actually be able to help us, and I am not surprised cos I noticed tht alot of them served as either housekeeping or the waiters at the restaurant. Now for the rooms, the deluxe rooms tht we got had no problems whatsoever, but ironically it was our suite that gave us alot of problems, on the 1st night we had water heating problems, the wife informed tht it took them almost 2 hrs to finally get some hot water in because of all the numerous follow ups, and as how housekeeping described it, reseting of their heating system, next issue, ironically, my familys deluxe rooms had 3 wifi servers at their disposal, however for the executive suite, it couldnt get any signal, I had to literally go inside the bathroom to finally get 1-2 bars, which was both pathetic and funny, also I noticed that housekeeping seems to have a blackout period, couldnt get housekeeping to clean up after a certain time period, so we requested this one bellboy to assist with at least taking out some of the trash inside but I noticed tht he wasnt pleased with it, and his facial expression showed it in the most obvious way not to mention being in the travel industry for quite sometime, Ican pick it up easily, I can see him slump his shoulders, scratch the back of his head, and sigh out loud to name a few, which is a big no no, I didn't get his name but It began with an A, Ariel maybe but im not sure, anyway I ended up cleaning the room myself which included sweeping and wiping, and lastly before checking out I decided to put their staff to the test, I had a whole lot of huge baggages, and because they were quite heavy, I carried them out by twos only, so I think I made like 3 trips in total going up and down, and not one offered to assist me in any way, I was just being ignored, in our local dialect... "deadma" I am now hesitating to recommend this place to my other relatives from outside the province, who will b visiting since I fear they might just get the same subpar service, and since they are first time visitors, I definitely dont want to give them a bad first impression. The only good thing I could say was this is an inexpensive hotel, and rooms are spacious and comfortable, but thts it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing us to prepare for your wedding. Congratulations! I am sorry that we have disappointed you but will definitely mine your review for tidbits of action items to improve our service. I understand that preparing for a wedding is a tremendous challenge with all the people going in and out of your rooms and having them eat there as well and leaving a lot of trash. We normally advise guests in this case to let us know when it would be convenient to clean the rooms. However, in this case it was already after 10:00 pm when you and your guests got back to the hotel after the wedding and requested the clean up while at the same time understandably would wish a quick turn around so that you can rest privately. Unfortunately, the hotel only maintains a skeletal staff after 10:00pm and it is unfortunate that you had to refuse total clean up just so you can get rest privately as soon as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed 10 days and so have a good idea of how the hotel runs. It's a modern, clean and attractive medium-sized hotel. Like many provincial hotels of this size, it doesn't have 'duty managers' - a concept of hotel management that is fundamental in developed countries. In many ways, the staff run the day-to-day business very well (and they are extremely pleasant and friendly). But the management - or, more accurately, the non-management - of the pool is a TOTAL DISASTER. The pool is completely surrounded by rooms that are only 4 or 5 feet from the water. In theory the pool is supposed to be used from 9am to 9pm. In practice screaming children and their stupid parents use the pool at all times of the day and night. We stayed our first 2 nights in the Zen room on the executive wing and couldn't get to sleep on our first night due to the screaming children and were woken by screaming (not just swimming) children at 6.30am. The next evening we asked the staff to get the kids and their parents (who presumably can't read) out of the pool at 9.30pm and they did. After 2 nights we changed to an exec suite which was not next to the pool, thank God. As we came and went over the next 8 days we regularly saw kids in the pool after 9pm and my guess is they were also in the pool from 6.30am as well - but we were away from the disaster zone by that time. If it were not for this issue, we'd give the hotel an excellent rating. The breakfast is typically Filipino (which looks very unappealing to a westerner and wasn't highly rated by my Filipina fiancee) but at least they have an omelette station and will make hot tea on request! I was surprised how little effort was made to cater for non-Filipino tastes, as we saw many foreigners in the hotel. I wish the owners would understand the attraction of breakfast cereals with milk for non-Asians - so easy to do for us non-rice-eating-at-breakfast westerners!

Room Tip: AVOID THE POOLSIDE ROOMS - unless you're an illiterate parent who lets your kids run wild all da...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I'm really glad that you made a decision early on in your stay to transfer to the quietest side of the hotel even if our Zen rooms are quite insulated from normal activities in the pool area. Duty Managers are not for our size and level of hotel and yes our staff do try their best to be efficient while at the same time showing off their innate friendliness. I know we should be stricter with our 9:00am to 9:00pm pool policy but we can only "suggest" so much to our guests. Rest assured that I will be thinking of other ways to mitigate the noise issue by the pool during "sleeping" hours. On the other hand, the issue with serving cereals in our buffet is wastage. But we will try serving it on-request basis starting tomorrow. Hope to see you again soon!
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel more times than I can recall. It is a great place, but the local patrons tend to be VERY noisy! I just endured three days of screaming kids, and though I complained many times it never stopped. Very inconsiderate people who need to realize two things: 1) they are not at home, and 2) not everyone thinks their kids are adorable! Quite the contrary... They need to teach these brats some manners!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. There might be a subtle way that we could mitigate the "over-enjoyment of kids by running and shouting" other than putting signs on all hallways but we will try it out to see what the effects will be.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was my second time staying at Circle Inn in Bacolod. They recently added a new wing with a nice pool. Great value, amazing service, delicious breakfast buffet. Comfortable. There were some ants in my room but if that kind of thing doesn't really bother you (hey, you're in a tropical country) then this place is great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bacolod City, Bacolod, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Decided to stay in circle inn to spend new year since we figured the chances of being hit by a stray bullet will be lesser here. We were greeted by a used towel in the cabinet. Such a basic expectation but was not met. Such a disappointment. The washroom in our room smells like moth balls. There is a difference between being cheap and inexpensive. Circle Inn gives off that "cheap feeling" when you stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I normally thank guests for doing a review on our hotel, good or bad, as this encourages us to continue doing what is best for our guests. But I am afraid that in this case, the intention of the reviewer is questionable especially when one considers another review from this reviewer's partner Dafufu for the same overnight stay. We respect everyone's experience but we also need to clarify context for the benefit of our other guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

A very nice hotel. The staff very accommodating, they served with smile. There food was good. And lastly, they have also pool, you can swim 9 in the morning until 9 in the evening. I really like my stay in this hotel, i feel like im just at home.

• Stayed October 2013
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. Its always heart warming for all of us here at Circle Inn to know that guests feel like they're at home when they stay with us. Looking forward to your next visit.
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

i stayed here recently for about 3 days. I booked a deluxe room, everything was okay. The location was perfect since it is facing the main road, which was helpful since its my first time to visit bcd. One more thing is the gates were quite a distance from the hotel which helps lessen the noise of the vehicles passing by. It is near grocery stores and even had a convenient store just outside the hotel. with the amount that i have paid I wasnt expecting anything much, especially if you grew up in manila (which has a lot of overrated hotels that charge you double the price). I arrived 7 am, and had to check in early. (thats free of charge btw, if there's a vacant room). The room was clean, I stayed at rm 212 If I remember it right. The bed was comfortable. nice and soft linens. the food was also great and affordable. my stay here could've been superb if they provided the room with basic things such as disposable slippers, which I think Should be made available to all hotels. Also, Since I booked for 3 days 2 nights, should you automatically replenish the complimentary coffee and tea that you provide to each room? I was expecting that when i had my room cleaned up. Anyhow, I'll still give you guys a 4-star rating. The overall experience was good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, complimentary tea and coffee should be replenished daily so I will look into why it wasn't done for your room. As for extra room amenities like slippers and tooth brush which are normal in high end hotels, we've made a conscious decision that most of our guests would appreciate better pricing than getting many freebies that they may or may not need. So we focus on consumable items rather than disposable ones to reduce cost and our impact on the environment and provide value for money accommodation. They are available at the front desk at a reasonable fee though and they are the normal items we buy for ourselves which guests can use even when they go home.

We are glad you visited Bacolod and we hope your future trips will bring you back to us. Happy traveling!

Been to Circle Inn - Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!