“Great restaurants” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Great restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A cool hotel/resort with fantastic, attentive staff, great restaurants and a good little private beach with a netted sea-swimming area with plenty of tropical fish to see.
Their evening nightlife decking area offers an awesome churrascaria and some live entertainment.
The only gripe was that the rooms are fairly small considering the high price. So I guess if you want a larger room, pay even more.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Went there with my kids shortly after Holy Week so the hotel was full. I just wanted a change from the usual Shang and THAT was a big mistake. This hotel is not quite there starting from reception and check in, to its restaurants and even tour desk. There is water damage, cracks on the walls, slow service and so on my holiday could've really been ruined if I didn't keep it together and just really lower my standards and expectations from the get go.

Check in took a long time and it's not an air conditioned area. They also put the main lifts there so there were tons of people there in any given time. The first room they gave me smelled really bad. Like a dirty mop smell that clung to the floors and room. There was a plastic cup on the floor so I was doubtful on how clean it really was. When I complained they downgraded me so I complained again then on the 3rd try it was ok. We went down for lunch and our bags took too long to get to the room. If you have 2 boys that just want to jump the pool, making them wait is almost impossible. The next morning we decided to eat by the pool. After ordering a la carte there was a misunderstanding about what food can be prepared for us. Needle to say, it was almost lunch and food wasn't there so my boys decided to swim. By the time the food arrived, I asked for towels and there were no towels. They had no sense of urgency and just didn't care. I lost it. To give them credit, they do act on complaints without questioning why. But I just think they should be a bit more on top of things to prevent things like that from happening. Mind you, the food was still incomplete event with the manager harping in on them. We were waiting for more than an hour! For dried fish and rice. They were apologetic at least and didn't charge us. Like I said, they are good in that sense that they own up to it and know what should be done. So I give them credit for that. I signed up for the tour and what you should know is that the boats are in a public port. You had to literally go down to your boat from a narrow plank that is perched on a wall down to the Banca. The plank is MOVING up and down by the way because of the waves. People actually fell and hit themselves I the boat before hitting the water! And yes, they wanted my 5 and 7 year old to board that way. The other option was to go down from a dirty rocky "shore" littered with trash, metal and what not to a small boat then to a big boat. Getting on the small boat was also perilous. Of course I said NO. Again, they were apologetic and refunded the money immediately. At least they don't hassle you for things like that. But clearly people there don't think!

The saving grace of this place is the Ibiza club which we thoroughly enjoyed. The show was entertaining and the food was really good.The kids also loved the pool and the beach (which was a bit rocky but clean).There were a lot of fish so it's nice to snorkel. Best to bring and wear aqua shoes though. There's a reef and there are urchins, pufferfish and stone fish there so you must educate your kids and be careful with the rocks.

Kudos to Joel and Jeryl because they know how to handle distressed clients gracefully. I think that really helps. But really everything is just slow. Room service was a tad bit slow and so is house keeping.

I guess avoid going here during peak season because they are not ready. Towels are always lacking and service can be slow. They just don't have that capability yet. Would I go back? Probably not but the place has merits so I hope they really improve on it.

Stayed April 2015
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My parents are looking for a hotel that can give them their much needed R&R. They a looking for a beautiful room with a view, a beach, a pool and a great place to enjoy their time with us. So i booked through agoda and we got the ocean view rooms.

The amenities are amazing, the pool, the cool tambay area, the yoga area, the spa and the Ibiza party place is definitely iconic and worth remembering.

Free shuttle for malls and city tour and it is near the rtourist center. :)

The staff too are very accommodating. They welcomed us with Moevenpick necklaces and refreshing mango juice.

The bed is very tempting and the bathroom is to die for. Plus the welcome gift co posed of expenisve toiletries.

We had fun at Ibiza, witnessing awesome performances while laying our backs at the area by the sea.

Overall, great deal for family bonding my parents are definitely happy.

Stayed April 2015
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It's quiet good for family on weekends since it's just a city apart from home. If you want a fun night there is the club Ibiza right down. Good swimming pool to enjoy, but not so spacious beach shore.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is an extremely overpriced resort. Of course it is beautiful, but so are a lot of other places. It is a nice place to spend the day, but I would not recommend actually lodging there unless you just have money to burn for no good reason. Of course everyone is nice, but seriously, pretty much all the people I have met around Cebu are nice. It seems to be part of the culture to be kind.

If you do spend the day, make sure to arrive before 9am if you expect to get a beach chair. The price is about 2500 PHP per person, which includes a sumptuous lunch buffet. There is also beach-side service where you can order drinks and food, but again it is terribly overpriced, and the service is slow to non-existent unless you track down a staff member and convince them to take your order. Then be prepared to wait a long time anyway - for drinks, for the bill, for your credit card to be returned, etc.

All in all, I would not spend the money again. It just is not worth it.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is what hotels/resorts should be - bright, welcoming, cheery ambience, well-trained staff ... stayed here for a whole day just lounging around the lobby, swimming and basically doing nothing - and no one bothering us ... relaxed to the max

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you very much for your high ratings and the positive comments. we are glad you had a relaxing time during your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon

Knuth Kiefer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Worst experience ever! Starting from clogged (sink and bathtub) , used towels, aunts and ending with no air conditioning. We asked to be fixed all what we got was its fixed . Paying for executive lounge wasn't a good idea , the food was cold and dry . So we have to take our breakfast in the main restaurant.i'm sure the manager busy at his/her office and never checked the quality or the satisfaction of their guests

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay during your recent trip. I apologize for the various shortcomings and problems you experienced. Some of your comments raised some additional questions which I would appreciate you could provide me with more details on. Kindly contact me at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Again, sorry for the negative impression we left you with and I look forward to hearing from you

Knuth Kiefer

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!