“Great and with some refinements it can be excellent ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Great and with some refinements it can be excellent ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife-to-be and I stayed a night at the Mövenpick for our prenuptial photo session. It's also the venue for our wedding later this year.
Overall the hotel is great, it lives by its tradition to be Swiss and comes with a friendly Filipino staff. What I loved most is the simplicity of style and in my opinion it makes it look very clean.
There is nothing major I have to complain about, but there are however some little details that do need attention. Let's not forget, this being a Swiss hotel, every small detail counts and bring Swiss myself, I know.

First thing I noticed is the lotion bottle in the bathroom which has not been replaced with a new bottle. It was half empty, or half full whichever way you like it.
The hair blower didn't come with an adaptor plug (UK plug) and I couldn't find a suitable outlet plug anywhere in the room.
The bathroom itself looks dated and shows some wear. I think it's the same bathroom since when it was still the Hilton.
The breakfast, which came with a lot of variety tasted a little bland and is nothing to rave about, except for the bacon.

As I said, nothing major at all. I specially would like to thank the staff for the free upgrade and the exceptional friendly service! This hotel remains highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you very much for the positive comments. We are thrilled that you have selected our hotel for your wedding and we will ensure you will have a memorable and unforgettable experience here.
I appreciate you pointing out some of the aspects that we need to address to further improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back later this year and please feel free to contact me at any time directly if I can be of any assistance in regards to your wedding arrangements

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed overnight.

I arrived in the afternoon. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Check in at 1-ish took a while due to a short queue. Was asked for a 2.5k deposit which was waived if I was willing to pay in cash. I was.
The room was pretty okay, aesthetically pleasing. I booked a suite facing the ocean. It has a living room, bedroom, and bathroom.
The living room had an L-shaped sofa, a coffee table, and a flat screen TV. The room opened up to a small balcony that had a table and a couple of chairs.
The bedroom had its own flat screen TV, a desk, an alarm clock radio, and a big bed. My desk lamp was one of those designer art see-saw things that had the bulb on one end and the weight on the other. For some weird reason, the end with the light stayed down and it could not be adjusted. So I kept it upright to avoid overcooking the paper it was resting on.
The bathroom had a bath, sink, shower, and toilet. I needed help to unplug the water hole of the bath as I couldn't figure out how to do it. The staff told me that there should be something attached to the plug so that I could pull it out. The water was warm and stayed warm. I didn't realize there was no cold water at all until I tried to turn it on at the shower.
The resort had a swimming pool and a white sand beach. I spent most of my time on the lounge chair under the cloudy sky. I was able to catch a zumba session which was fun to watch.
I wanted food brought up to the room. When I called it in, they knew me by name and efficiently took my order. However, delivery took more than 30 minutes. I was easily distracted by the TV but I was hungry when the food arrived.
Check out was fast and easy. I was even given a small token for my visit.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I may go back. The kinks were minimal and tolerable.

Stayed July 2014
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I thank you for writing this review and while your rating indicates that not all aspects of your stay were to your expectations. I appreciate you pointing some of the concerns out to us so we can work on improvements.
I am glad to read that you are considering to return on a future stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at Moevenpick. The staffs were friendly and attentive. Rooms were just perfect. Foods at the coffee shop and Ibiza were also delightful. Will surely visit the place again on our next trip to Cebu.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thanks a lot for the high rating and the positive comments. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and we do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best regards

Knuth
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Moevenpick Hotel has never failed my expectations as what I have seen on its webpage and other materials that featured this hotel, and even more it delighted me when my family stayed there in July 2014. When we got into its lobby, it's really impressive. The color combination of the furnishings and the surrounding provokes a light mood, and it's so neat and dainty. The staff over the reception area were so nice and accommodating, offering us at once with cold juice and beautiful shell necklaces. As we got up to our rooms, it exudes the same aura as the lobby. The pastel color combination and minimalist features are pleasing to the senses, and so much more the scenic view of the tip of Mactan island. When we went down to explore the entire vicinity, the swimming was crowded that time, but later in the afternoon and towards the night, the pool metaphors into a magical pond of inviting indigo, violet and blue with luminous lap chairs. The beach area is so generous of various seats scattered all over and the water is so clean and clear. Towards the marina where Ibiza beach club is located, Moevenpick got its edge among other resorts in Mactan. It is one of a kind. And when the night falls, it exudes a party atmosphere where you can drink, dine and chillax under the night sky. The food both in Sails Restaurant and Ibiza are very good. Though I found the dinner buffet in Ibiza quite expensive at P2,000.00 per head, the array of food is delectable and varied. One thing I just suggest is to make the elevators compliment the same aura as the lobby and room. Just a little make over.

Room Tip: Suggest a room on the side of the tower with a view of the sea, preferably on higher floors. The ot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time with us. I shall certainly share your comments with our team here at the hotel, which is a great source of motivation and encouragement.
I have taken note on your comment on the elevators and while it maybe a bit had to address this, we will see if there are some changes that could be done.

Thanks again

Paranaque, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We definitly enjoyed our stay at the Movenpick! We were warmly welcomed by the staff and was given a beautiful room with a few. We enjoyed the beach though it was just small. Equipment rental was cheap. Although we wished that the happy hour was more than just an hour, maybe they could extend it to 3 hours! It would be more fun! We would definitly visit again and recommend this place to out friends!

Stayed June 2014
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
I am happy to read you positive comments as well as your high rating. We always aim to provide our guests a memorable experience and I am glad that we succeeded in this endeavor.
I have taken note of your request of extending the happy hour, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of a happy "hour" :-)
Wee do hope to see you back here at the hotel again on a future trip.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience on this platform.

Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

the key feature of this resort is the Ibiza. yeah sure it's a catch and it's where they brought in the party experience, with class. i like the pool area, thought it may be crowded with kids around at day, but perfect at night. i'm also impressed how entire structure maximized the space with a lots of things going on. keeps your eyes busy and gives space to lounge and sunbathe. the beach though is small and has lots of pebbles as you swim. still you can enjoy the your spot at the shore where you can enjoy a dip with frequent waves.
love the bacon-onion thin crust pizza and buffalos.
the room has a boutique hotel interior--minimalist beds, colorful tones, i just regret the the room on the 3/F allocated to us doesn't have a bidet. no bathroom rag, but toiletries are provided for.

i recommend to friends and families with kids.

Room Tip: choose the higher floors for a better view at night of the Ibiza
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our property. While I appreciate your positive comments overall, the rating of 3 out of 5 however did not reflect the positive impression you indicated in your write up. This being the case, I invite you to contact me personally to share your thoughts on some of the improvements you may want to suggest in order to further enhance our products and services? you may reach me at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

I am looking forward to hearing from you

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here from 6~8, June, 2014 with my sister.

The public places(lobby, pool, beach, Ibiza club) are nice.

The room? Horrible.
I didn't expect a superb room as I booked it through the promotion offered by Hotels.com but my room was literally rubbish.

Broken shower door. No foot and face towels. Chicken screaming whenever there is sunlight. Too cold floor. Too old room facilities. Expensive food. So-so staffs.

I can here door closing sound up and down and side rooms! The furniture is motel-level!!!

You cannot turn off the room lights at once as there is no remote controller system! I should stand up and find every button before sleeping!

Well, the native staffs who brought us a room-service and helped my sister's surnburnt were nice but that is the only good memory I had in Movenpick, Cebu.

And though it was fixed, they charged me an automated advance fee and didn't cancel till I found it and sent an e-mail to remind them of recheck. It was fixed fast but not pleasant experience.

I will never go back and never recommend it to anyone.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, particularly in regards to your room. I thank you for bringing this to our attention so I can look at some maintenance concerns you have highlighted.

Again, I am sorry that your recent stay was not what you expected, but I hope you may give us another try on a future visit.

Knuth Kiefer

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!