“Amazing service, comfortable setting, good place to relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Amazing service, comfortable setting, good place to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Service is outstanding in all regards. They are quick attentive and very forthright. I never had to search for help and felt I could call them at all hours of the night for anything.
24 hour room service is a plus. A la carte breakfast menu is a nice offering if you want to avoid the buffet and all the calories though it did look pretty tasty.
Not much to do outside of the resort and Cebu city isn't much worth the long traffic-filled taxi drive. But with the pool, private beach and Tree Shade massage next door it's more than enough to relax for 3-4 days.
Their snorkeling costs were fair and service was very good to take you 30 minutes out on the boat to the fish sanctuary.
Didn't get a chance to eat at Ibiza but the lobby menu was delicious with a great club sandwich and appetizers. Abaca, just down the street, was were we had our great dinners though we heard good things about Ibiza. The chef was very nice to take some time and talk with us.
The layout of the hotel is comfortable though highly windy. Enjoyed the various levels seperating the pool from the beach from the restaurant from the hotel.

The service of the staff and availability of anything I asked for would easily make me return.

• Stayed January 2014
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I highly appreciate you taking time to write about your experience and impressions of our hotel based on your recent visit. I am glad that especially the service of our employees was creating positive memories for you.
It is a pity that you did not have the opportunity to try our Ibiza Beach club during your recent visit as it is one of the most unique outlets in the entire Philippines. We do hope though that you will be returning for another visit shortly and enjoy a dinner or a few drinks there.

Thanks again

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Definitely a pleasant surprise and memorable stay.

The lobby is very cozy and makes you want to relax right there! Design and atmosphere of Ibiza club is amazing. Those hammock type nets on the side allows you to star gaze comfortably, listen to the sound of the waves and enjoy your cocktail all at the same time.

All employees are very accommodating. We had no issues when we wanted to check in early and to check out late on our last day.

Restaurant is a bit pricey though but serving is good for two.

Will definitely recommend this resort to friends and stay here again on my next Cebu trip.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I highly appreciate your positive comments and the "excellent" rating here on Tripadvisor.
I m glad that our team here left you with such great memories and that you are planning to return on a future trip.
If there is anything we can do to make your next trip even more enjoyable, please feel free to contact me at any time directly.

Thanks again

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Movenpick Resort 3 times since August 2013. The service is excellent and the staff are always available to help guests with any request. The food at the restos is very good and not too expensive generally. They double-charged me for my room but we sorted it out.
My only gripe is that breakfast is $30 per person or $60 a couple. If you stay a week this is over $400 which is too much just for breakfast, especially when you are already paying well over $200 per day for your room. I suggest they reduce the breakfast rate somewhat. Other than this it is a great hotel and a good experience.

Room Tip: Island view room is best because ocean view room (more expensive) gets all the noise from the DJ dis...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
We highly appreciate your loyalty and positive comments about our hotel. I hope that you were also able to notice the changes we made to our entertainment program and music levels, which you pointed out on a previous review?

In regards to your current review, I am happy to ready your comment regarding our food quality and the generally fair pricing. I have noticed that you are booking through an online channel and have the option of pre-booking the breakfast inclusion, which would be cheaper than paying the breakfast separately during your stay.

I invite you to make your bookings personally through me for any future stays if you so which. You can reach me at my email address at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Thanks again for your continued support.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a few nights through New Year's and the place was fully booked. Earnest and smiling staff who weren't particularly efficient (it took us about 30 minutes to receive our luggage in the room after check-in and two calls to the front desk) but that could've been because of the crowds. Breakfast buffet had a pretty good spread, but lacking vegetarian and custom-made options for lunch and dinner. Reasonable prices for food. Great massage and spa and also for a reasonable price. Right next to the beach with a nice pool that's perfect for families. A bit cheesy of a New Year's party, but festive atmosphere. Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend it not during holidays.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We know, that there are many choices on where one spends the New Year's celebration and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us over this special period.
I am glad to read that you had an overall good experience during this period and that we managed to leave you with a positive overall impression.

We had generally very good comments about our New Year's Eve Gala event and I would be interested to get more feedback from your end based on your comment in order to possibly improve further for the future. I would appreciate if you could contact me at my email at: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com for this reason.

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Had dinner at Ibiza last week with our team for our Christmas celebration . The food and service were really great. The waitress and the chef were always smiling. She even suggested what dessert should I get - swiss chocolate and I loved it!

On the other hand, I wish they could have extended the time limit for the unlimited wine :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I am happy to read that you had such a positive experience at our Ibiza Beach Club and that you enjoyed the dinner and the service provided.

We do hope that you are planning another visit again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on this website

Metro Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Arriving in Cebu for the 1st time after a weary flight, I'm glad that I chose moevenpick to un-wind!. Being met by a fresh looking airport rep named Florence and driver joel was such a relief!...I guess they saw how tired I was with an infant, the whole process of being met and taken cared of really helped. The check in was done in a jiffy....the room overlooking the beach was such a nice get away...the bed was huge and the pillows were soooooo fluffy....the housekeeping person alfred arranged a nice crib for my baby plus to my surprise, he creatively arranged a turtle and an elephant out of towels!..I took pictures of it as it was the first time I saw such creativity plus being thoughtful..the bathroom toilletries were luxuriously chosen, and so was the next set which was a Japanese brand...equally good!....the food regardless if you ordered it from the forum, room service or sails were in large portions and the prices reasonable. The Lobby which overlooked the pool area and the beach was another added relaxation for me....the bartender there named Bangs knew her stuff very well, being a coffee junkie I asked for her advise what to have, she whipped up a nice and rich iced coffee with Swiss espresso and vanilla ice cream on top was a glazed caramel brittle, it was really yummy!...I love the breakfast at the sails...chef loey was sooo personal ...realizing it was my first time she showed us around the breakfast Buffett which is an assortment of Asian and western cuisines plus she made sure that she whips up a native chocolate drink which was presented in a clay pot and some native Cebu longganiza and fried rice!...and the spa....the interior was really made for real relaxation...seeing that the prices were reasonable and surprisingly not steep...I went for 3 treatments...I was met at the reception and was taken to my private room which had an exterior bathtub and petals all around it....it was the cleopatra bath... The milk temperature and the water pressure was soothing...the facial treatment was relaxing and really softened my burned face....and the last one was the best one... A foot massage treatment which jezza used small wooden sticks to entwine each tired toes with it!...I still actually wanted to extend but the bookings were back to back...and I'm not surprised at all !...on my last evening...I went to Ibiza out of curiosity and really had a fun time, they have a huge selection of wines and cocktails....the tapas are equally good...the next day...I ordered my breakfast via room service and had coffee by my veranda overlooking the nice sunrise ...with a heavy heart I had to check out soon.....the check out was efficiently done by a gentleman named maverick..and we were whisked to the airport by a driver- porter named Simmons...I was amazed when Simmons endorsed us to the porter and he made sure that we're inside the airport before he took off!.... Such caring staff....I wish I could thank them enough....hopefully I will see them soon for another get away!....thank you!...

Room Tip: High floor and overlooking the beach. The way the rooms were decorated made them really look spaciou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
The entire team here at the Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu is very happy receiving customer feedback such as yours. Your experience and observations indicate that our efforts in providing our guests with an excellent experience.
I would like to thank you that you pointed out so many employees in your review, which is always a great motivation for the individual team members mentioned.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon to our hotel and please feel free to contact me at any time directly if I can be of assistance for a future booking.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

stay from Dec 26-29. Notice of big difference (physical side ) , gone are the pink color building and jeepney , entrance to the resort is enchanced , the pool is much bigger with new concept , and total renovation of Manny o which is now call Ibiza ( which we love it ).
now the negative side , service need more improvement.

1. check in no problem, I just want to be sure , I ask the receptionist if my room include 2 breakfast , which I book and prepaid together with my room , she said yes. but on the following day , when I went to sails to have my breakfast, the lady in the door ask for my room which I
gave her my room no. , she look up to the list and can't find my room and told me that my room package doesn't include breakfast. I was surprise , and have to go back to the reception area and have a somewhat long discussion , which later they found out my prepaid breakfast fall into other category.

2, service
dec 26 , our family decided to have an ice cream at Ibiza during the evening , we place our order I think around 8:15 pm and after several follow up and my last follow up , i told the waiter he they can't produce our order , we will be cancell it out , since the kids are getting sleepy, only then we got our order pass or near 9:00 pm. and when I got mine , the ice cream is already soft and it start melting,( I think my order is already ready before they serve it to me ).

3. shuttle service
i book complimentary shuttle service a day ahead for 4 pax thru the concierge, we went to the lobby 15 minutes before the time and report our present to the concierge , which he noted in the list. when the time come for us to board , they inform us the regular shuttle is down due to the a/c belt problem and will be using a smaller van, which force 2 families ( 8 passenger ) to be left behind. it took almost 30 minutes before alternate tranpo is provided to us. which during that time , the other family ( Korean ) , I think the father is getting anger and pointing his finger at one the lady staff, complaining aloud that they are wasting their time. Movenpick should have a immediate back up plan, which I believe they didn t implement immediately

4. beach towel

during the my 3 nite stay, their is always a severe shortage of beach towel, which is usually happen during the afternoon, when I ask for beach towel from the life guards or pool staff, they always tell me it's still in the laundry area, and they will just bring it to me once they receive the fresh towel. and also in the beach area their is no towel station , you need to go to the pool area to get one. just a short walk .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate the constructive feedback you have provided in your recent review and I thank you for pointing out a number of problems, which we clearly need to address in our operation.
We are constantly striving to improve our services further and your experiences have shown that there is still work to be done in this regard.
On a positive side, I am happy to read that you like the look of our hotel after the renovation and I do hope that despite the various negatives, you will give us another try on a future visit.

General manager

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!