“R and R with a purpose” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cebu Island, Philippines
“R and R with a purpose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Got to say kudos on the promotion. Prompted to have my buddy to get me one during their Ayala sale. The new look is eye candy. The pool is not so boring anymore.

Could have been better if the breakfast staffs were properly manned. Thanks to Emy for making sure our 10 minutes wait for our coffee find its way to our table.

Room Tip: Their pillow is bliss
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you very much for the support you have given to our recent charity mall sale that benefited the re-building efforts after the Super Typhoon Yolanda devastated large areas in the Philippines.
I also appreciate you bringing to our attention the problem you had over breakfast so we can rectify this.

We hope to welcome you back again soon

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Didn't know before that cathay pacific flyes directly to Cebu from Hong Kong.

Mövenpick was recommended by a good friend of mine.

Pre arranged airport pick-up for my family. Airport staff had hotel signage not guest name which I found it nice for me.

Drove 10minutes through the local village here I arrived very modern hotel. First I was greeted by cute looking black Labrador at the gate.

When the car approached to the lobby, you will amazed with fantastic views and fresh breeze.

Staff are very kind and accommodated. We were lucky to get free upgrade to 2bed room suite instead of two deluxe room we originally booked.

These people really know how to make you feel so special. We only stayed for 2 nights but we were so spoiled by them.

We enjoyed a lot especially IBIZA dinner. You better empty your stomach before go there. :-)

We thank all the staff those who taking care of our family. We will be back very soon.

Cheers!

• Stayed December 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
I thank you for choosing Moevenpick on account of a recommendation of your friend. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your experience and plan to return on a future visit.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on this website.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed in your beautiful modern design hotel last weekend. When we arrived at the airport. A staff from Movenpick met us with a smile. She escorted us with our luggage and help us find a car as we don't make an advance car reservation. She's very courteous and accommodating.

Upon arrival at the lobby we were amazed with the ambiance and the unique design of the lobby. Bellboy greeted us with a smile and introduced us to the front desk. Check in was swift, and Mayshielle the Lifestyle concierge gave us a hotel tour. I usually stay in Shangri-La but my officemates in Singapore recommend this hotel.

The staff are friendly, food outlets have little selection but the restaurant near the beach area Ibiza the food and service was fantastic.

Movenpick Cebu is a boutique resort but the service, food and the staff are very well trained just like in Shangri-La. If not because of my loyalty card in Shangri-La, I wouldn't stay there rather stay in Movenpick Cebu as they give me what I expected for a 5star service.

I will definitely come back to stay for 3 nights and 2 nights in Shangri-La.

I

Room Tip: Stay in an ocean view deluxe room, it has panoramic view of the ocean
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
I am happy to read your review on our hotel based on your recent stay with us.
I will certainly share your comments with the entire team as well as a source of motivation and encouragement.
We look forward to your next visit and if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more enjoyable, please feel free to contact me directly at any time

Cebu Island, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I bought the relief + rebuild GC at Ayala and booked it a week after. I did not expect too much from that stay, if it was not for the purpose I wouldn't mind staying in this resort.
Checked in was smooth, it was not a busy day for them. Just a thought, are they offering welcome drinks like the other resorts?
Our room was great! We were given a plate of fruits (in lieu of welcome drinks?) Well, Thank you!
Entire day was peaceful, we enjoyed the pool and the night ended with a good sleep. The problem was during the breakfast. We entered and was asked of our room number and done! The restaurant was full and we were not escorted or assisted to a place where we could seat. We settled by ourselves and took breakfast. We observed that only few staff (3 or 4) were present, were they cost cutting during that time? I guess so - but should not be to guest expense. We ordered coffee 4x but none has arrived! Good thing we forgot of our coffee and enjoyed the food instead. BUT SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE!
At beach, they lack of towels, aren't they expecting to have that many guest during that time?
We'll this would be the last I'll stay in this resort. Again, if not for a good cause, I'll not stay in this resort!
My concerns are very simple but mind you - you lost me! FOREVER!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I would like to thank you for your support to our recent charitable mall sale in which we have donated 80% of all room revenues to the rebuild fund for victims of the Yolanda super typhoon that recently hit the Philippines.

On another note, I have to apologize for the experiences you ha in our hotel, which do not reflect the general level of service you can rightfully expect from us. We thank you for your comments and we will take this as an opportunity to improve further.
I understand that you are a colleague from a neighboring hotel who has spent a night with us, hence your observations are very valuable to us.

Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Pros:
+Close to airport
+Front desk staff friendly

Cons:
-Food outlets have mediocre food; bad service (e.g. took 45 minutes for a la carte breakfast to arrive)
-Design of hotel is very odd. Suites have balcony doors barricaded by a desk, low end sofas, and you can't exit the bathroom if the bedroom door is open. There is no access to pool deck except through the main lobby resulting in a parade of wet swimmers to/from the lift. Two adjacent towers appear to be low-end housing yet still part of the hotel with bars on the windows.
-I think the hotel is worth $100 USD, not $200 USD.

Stay at the Shang.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I was very surprised reading your review and in particular the headline. Our hotel went through a complete renovation last year and is therefore the most new and updated hotel in Cebu at this stage. Hence your comment of being "tired" was concerning.

I would also appreciate if you could personally contact me in regards to your a la carte breakfast you have ordered as I do not know whether you are referring to a room service order as we generally only serve a full buffet in our restaurant.

I am sorry to read that your expectation was not met during your visit but look forward to hearing back from you personally in order to address some of your concerns directly.(Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com)

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed in suite room on the 19th floor was good quality with all fittings and clean spotless, with two small balconies and sea view. Modern bathroom with jacuzzi. Free wifi.

Overall service was very friendly and welcoming.

Would also recommend the Ibiza beach club restaurant where we had a nice buffet. Also ordered pizza few times on the beach over lunch and this was really nice thin crust style. Generally room service & beach food was fresh and good quality ingredients, would say that in comparison much better than similar meals we have tested in Shangri-La.

If you use the Hotel's SPA treatments, be prepared to hear some noise from the Ibiza Beach Club in the evenings.

Breakfast was good - Only thing noticed that the standard breakfast coffee tasted watery, like instant coffee. But when ordered double espressos, cappuccinos, etc - these were excellent. So if coffee is important then perhaps specify what kind of coffee you like. Great freshly squeezed juice too and good selection of both continental & asian style brkfst items.

Hotel also have fairly large and modern gym.

Beach itself is clean but in comparison it is much smaller than Shangri-La (which is hard to beat anyway).

Even if you are not staying in this hotel, would suggest to try their Ibiza Club for happy hour and dinner buffet!

Room Tip: ask for high room with direct sea view (for lower level rooms, street/nearby residential noise is mo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Despite the average rating, I am happy that your comments are generally all positive, which leads me to believe that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I have taken note about your comment on the coffee in the morning and we are currently looking for a better option for this. I appreciate you pointing this out to us.
I thank you as well for pointing out the quality of our food and our unique Ibiza Beach Club.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Panvel, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I recently stayed for 2 nights here for my business trip to Cebu. No doubt, it is one of the best hotel I have stayed. I was bit worried as I was visiting immidiately after super typhoon but found that there was no signs of it here. The staff is very friendly & always ready to help you. My room was on 11th floor & I was able to view the hotels private beach from my room balcony. The room was very specious & having all necessery amminities.
The beach is very clean & they do also offer sporting activity here. The food was okay. The spa in the hotel is good but I found it bit expensive.
Overall goo experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your time here at the hotel.
As you outlined, we were fortunate that the recent super typhoon has caused very little damage in the area of Cebu in general and the hotel operation was not affected.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay

Knuth Kiefer

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!