“Awesome hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Save Saved
You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Lapu Lapu
Quezon City, Philippines
“Awesome hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A little bit on the pricey side but every cent is worth it! We stayed for only one night. We initially decided to book this hotel (over the other ones) as we saw gorgeous photos of unconventionally-designed lobby and beach club and we made the right choice. It was as pretty in actual as in the pictures. We booked an ocean view room which was awesome.Beach was a little small though but was good enough for us since we want to just relax anyway.

Staff were really friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We arrived around 6AM and they let us check-in right away and they also granted our request for late checkout. Very expensive food in the hotel restaurants so recommend to check options outside. Ask the staff and they have good recommendations.

Location was somewhat far but regular jeeps/cab can take you anywhere.

If I have a budget, will definitely stay on this hotel longer.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about our hotel on this forum and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time with us.
likewise, I am happy that you found the hotel as attractive as shown in the images you have seen prior your arrival here in Cebu.
We very much hope that this positive experience will bring you back again in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Excellent service, extremely friendly staff from front desk to housekeeping or even when you just walk pass them anywhere in the hotel there's always a friend smile and greeting. They also went out of their way to help us arrange things to make our holiday more enjoyable.

For a 5-star hotel it was smaller than we expected with one pool and a small man-made beach. Not sure if that was standard for Mactan Island. The room size was also a bit smaller than what we thought and for the amount of money you pay. But more so it had bad design to utilise the space. We couldn't find enough room to lay out luggage for two people and unpack our toiletries in the bathroom! This was the case for both the one-bedroom we got upgraded to, as well as the studio room we later asked to be "down-graded" back to. The studio, although smaller, had better efficiency in use of space.

Our booking included breakfast buffet at Sails restaurant. Late finish (10.30am) and the staff came and friendly informed us when it was about to close. Plenty of food, good variety, you can even ask them to make fresh juice for you. However they had exactly the same food for the 3 nights we stayed there and it got a bit boring.

Recommend the Brazilian Churrasco dinner at their Ibiza Club. Not cheap but great food and plenty of it. Can't say I've eaten that much meat in one sitting for a long time! It has the option of unlimited wine with a reasonable additional cost.

We didn't find other restaurants other than the above two. Didn't seem to be anywhere to go outside the hotel within walking distance either. It's ok for a 3 day stay, probably not any longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I very much appreciate your feedback and the compliments on our service here at the hotel.
I am also glad that you enjoyed our Brazilian Churrasco and the daily breakfast. I have taken note of your comment in regards to the variety of the breakfast buffet and we shall look into making improvements in this area.
We will also check on the rooms you were assigned to and see if we can make any changes on the space allocation to improve on this as well.
I am most grateful for pointing out our friendly employees as those are of course the backbone of our hotel and without a good team, any hotel or resort would be unable to deliver the experience guests are looking for.

We hope to see you back again soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed for a weekend, and it was a last minute plan. This is the second hotel in Mactan that we have stayed for our vacation. I would say this resort is also worth your money. The staff was great and friendly. Awesome beach, food menu had wide selection. The bar was a plus and tops all the bars that we visited in the island. I would recommend this for anyone thats looking for an affordable and worth the value of you money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Great to read your positive review of our hotel based on your recent stay here in Cebu. I am glad that you enjoyed our food and the experience at our Ibiza Beach club, which you pointed out, is a unique facility in the area.
I am also happy that our staff came across as friendly, which most people comment on.
We hope to see you back again soon.

Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My 9-year old usually don't give feedback on service but this surprised me. As I was just getting our room reservation my son excitedly report his observation with their staff. "Mommy everybody is helpful and smiling... they gave us drinks...they get our luggage from our car...they are all beautiful" then my reaction was like "hahaha so you think this is going to be your favorite stay?" And my son response "mmm yeah I think so"... then I asked "you think its going to be better than Disney's Hollywood Hotel (HK)?" He replied "maybe".

Yes they have world-class customer service but let me tell you not so on amenities. An average pool (no wow factor), a beach and a cool chick resto (Ibiza). So for me spending 12k to 15k per night here is over rated... I think it will do justice at 5k to 7k per night :)

Food are great but super expensive...you can get a decent and great meal too outside and spend less.

Overall... would I stay here again...yes if they racked down their rate to 50 to 70% off :)

I asked my son again before checking-out "so is this your favorite stay?" He answered "well no because there's no Mickey!" ... hahaha funny feedback from him...meaning his stay here didn't make him forget his stay at Disney's Hollywood Hotel :)

• Stayed July 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on this website. I appreciate you , and of course your son, pointing out the friendliness of our staff and the level of service you experienced.
I am glad that you had a good impression of our hotel. I was a bit surprised about your comment about our swimming pool as we generally receive very good feedback about this unique feature of the hotel, offering swimming as well as lounging areas.
I have taken note on your comments on pricing for the food and your stay in general. We are aiming at providing our guests great value for the price they pay and while our prices are in line with the other upscale hotels on Mactan Island, I apologize that we apparently have failed to provide you with the value you may have expected.

I do hope so that you may return to us on a future visit to Cebu and we may then have an opportunity as well to introduce our hotel mascot to your son. Please feel free to contact me at any time directly at : Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Davao City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that this was the third time I stayed in this lovely hotel. Each of the previous stays were absolutely outstanding and there is nothing I can point out that marred my experience.
The employees are exceptionally friendly and well trained. the management seems to be always visble and have done a good job changing this place from the dreadful place it used to be before the renovation.
The food is good, the prices,- well they are high, but not higher than anywhere else in the five star places on Mactan. and the service is always outstanding. In fact, that's what bought me back each time. Don't get me wrong, Shang has great service as well, but the people at Movenpick seem to be much more natural and not that stiff.
Now unfortunatly my last stay was tarnished by a corporate event that took place at the hotel at the beginning of July. The noise was unbearable and I ran into a number of hotel guests that shared my sentiment. There was even loud noise at the pool well after 1am! Not sure why they allow this as the staff seemed to be unable to anything about this.
Now I still rate this hotel high as I generally love the place, I was just very disappointed during my last stay.The friends who invited me, based on my recommendation won't return either.
This place is a gem and is really well run in general, but I recommend you check first if they have a noisy event at this place as the resort is too small for large groups and they definitely have a negative impact on your other guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I am grateful for the positive words about our employees and the hotel in general. I appreciate your repeat visits to our hotel as this indicates to us that we have succeeded in meeting your expectations.
Please accept my sincere apology for the noise disturbance during your latest visit. While this was an exceptional case, we will look into this to avoid future problems like this.
I do hope that this incident will not keep you from visiting us on your next trip to Cebu. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for your booking requirements.

Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Words are hard to express the feeling while you are in this resort. If you want a no-nonsense relaxation and be one with nature, then this is the place to be. The Pool is perfect for chillaxing with friends and families. Or you may opt to go down by the beach to have that much needed break. I love everything about this place, the friendly staffs, awesome service and delightful food. Definitely two-thumbs up for me!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments here on Tripadvisor. I am obviously very happy about the high rating you have given us.
I am particularly happy that you pointed out the quality of our food as well as the friendliness of our employees. I shall certainly share your comments with the entire team.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just had our conference in Cebu City this July.From manila it took us around 2 hours all in all to reach Moevenpick Hotel.The place was really perfect to relaxe enjoy both the pool and the sea.The food is superb.The staff is very friendly and fast to respond in case you need something.The room was clean with a very cool aircon.Indeed a place to relaxe .At night Ibiza is the place to be with your love ones,friends .Enjoy the cool wind ,cool music .In case I will be goin back to Cebu I will definitely stay again in Moevenpick Hotel.I would highly recommend this hotel.
To all of you ,keep it up

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
I am very happy that you had such an enjoyable stay and successful conference here in Cebu. Like many of our customers, I am glad to read that you also found our team here at the Moevenpick friendly and efficient.
We very much look forward to your next visit and hope you will have an equally enjoyable time.

Best regards,

Knuth Kiefer

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!