“This is like paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Save Saved
You added Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Punta Engano, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Moevenpick Resort & Spa Cebu)   |
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in Lapu Lapu
Pasig, Philippines
“This is like paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Movenpick Resort for 3 days. We have stayed in several resorts around the world through the years and so far this is one of the best. As we entered the beautiful lobby, I knew we would enjoy our stay here. We were given a beach view room at the 15th floor where you could see the clear blue water of the beach, a great view in every angle. we strolled the whole property from the beautiful lobby, big, open and you could feel the cool breeze from the ocean. The pool was so inviting where you'll see floating armchairs more beautiful in the evening when it is lighted. We strolled the very private white beach, very beautiful, you can just lay there sunbathing and enjoying the sight of the ocean. Then we walked to the exciting Ibiza Beach Club, an incredible entertainment with cool music, fabulous food and Manny O wine with the dinner.The food was great, with coffee and chocolate and ice cream. The staff were all friendly and efficient making sure that the guest were comfortable, very well managed.
Overall we enjoyed the very memorable and exciting stay. The best place to rest, a great 5 star experience, we certainly had a great time. We would certainly recommend Movenpick to all our friends and family and business associates.

Room Tip: Request a room on the beach view of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Positive reviews such as yours are always a great motivation to our entire team here at the Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, as it confirms to us that our services and facilities are appreciated and that our efforts in training our employees are bearing fruit. I am very happy about your high marks throughout and we certainly hope we will have an opportunity to welcoming you back again very soon. I appreciate you recommending us to your friends and family and I hope they will have an equally enjoyable experience with us.

Thanks again,

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Pasig, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

A long time coming weekend getaway in Cebu and had the oppurtunity to spend it with my wife at this fabulous resort hotel in Mactan Island, Cebu. The place stands out from the rest of the resort hotels I have seen and/or stayed here and abroad. Sophisticated but casually elegant ambiance and decor compliments the property. From the lobby/lobby lounge to the pool deck, the beach and the Ibiza beach promenade renders a unique experience exploring the amenities of the resort. Every staff is friendly, approachable and pays attention to your daily needs and preferences. Concierge staff even arrange for your tour of the city if so desired. And wow, what an incredible dining experience we had at the Ibiza beach promenade 'Churrasco'. Make your all you can eat salad and be served with freshly grilled seafood and meat medley. Good job Chef :) Love it with the Manny O wines served to compliment. After dinner, a cup of Cuppochino or Moevenpick ice cream. Yummy. Enjoyed immensely the experience. A true destination and will be back sometime soon definitely.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting the beach is tops.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am glad you and your family had an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us on your recent visit. I am glad that our team here at the hotel has succeeded in meeting your expectations and they you had a positive impression of our hotel throughout.
I am also happy that you enjoyed the dining options at our hotel and we certainly hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review here on Tripadvisor.

Honolulu, Hawaii USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This place is not the Shangri-La. Not even close!

I'll start off by explaining that I am giving this hotel, a hotel at which I would not stay again, 2 stars, only because there is no 2.5 option, and my personal requirements for 3 stars include a willingness to stay at a hotel again. Given that I would be highly unlikely to stay here again, I'm opting for 2 stars. Our experience at this hotel was not good, but I will say that the service staff, from the housekeeping services to the general manager, was really friendly. It's just that they don't have much to work with.

When we first checked in, we were given a room that had many problems, including tiles falling off the shower wall, mold/dirt around the corners of the bathtub, sheets that didn't completely cover the mattress underneath (yuck!), a faucet that kept coming off in our hand, and a shower that offered "barely lukewarm" as the warmest water setting! Between that and a few other problems we had, we were ready to check out the very next day! I complained to the manager, however, and we got our room changed. (Again, everyone who worked there was really friendly and tried to be helpful!) Our new room was much better, but it was also a more expensive, top-floor room, so it should have been better!

I think many of these problems are indicative of an old resort that was quickly renovated and given a fresh coat of paint, without actually fixing some of the underlying issues with the building. Tiles should not fall off of walls. Faucet handles should not come off in your hand. The corners of the bathroom should not have permanent grime in them. This is especially true at a resort which claims to have 4 or 5 stars! Even the cleanliness issues, I think, are age-related---there is no way a regular housekeeper would be able to get rid of all the grime that has settled in the corners of the bathroom. The place feels like it used to be a low-end, run-down hotel, but Moevenpick bought it and put a fresh coat of paint on it and added trendy pillows in the rooms; the underlying "run-down" hotel feeling is still there, lurking just under the surface.

The food at the restaurants was reasonably priced, but fairly mediocre. For true foodies, I recommend getting a reservation at the nearby Abaca resort---we ate there several times during our stay! Abaca has really delicious food!

The pool and beach area at the Moevenpick is lovely. I had a couple of spa treatments. While it's not the best spa I've ever been to, the services were good. I was pleased with my spa treatments.

The staff, from the luggage handlers to the managers, were incredibly friendly! They went out of their way to let us know that they were happy we'd chosen to stay at their resort. Again, the staff, were they transported to a better facility, would really contribute to a 5-star experience, but they can only do so much at a place like this. The phrase "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still just a pig" keeps coming to mind. That was my experience of the Moevenpick in Lapu-Lapu---it had a lovely coat of lipstick. But it was still a building that needs work.

We stayed here because both the Abaca resort and the Shangri-La were fully booked. If the same thing happens to you, I would not discourage you from staying at the Moevenpick, if your plans require you to be on Cebu Island, but don't go there thinking that you'll get Shangri-La quality, or anything near it. You won't. But you will encounter some very friendly, helpful staff, which always brightens the day!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
While I am of course happy that you have pointed out the friendliness and willingness to help by our employees, the simple fact that you would not opt staying at our hotel again is of course an indication of our failure to provide you with the experience you expected. I would like to sincerely apologize for this and take this as a lesson for us to improve further, particularly in the areas you pointed out. We are constantly working on improvements is regards to maintenance issues at the hotel but evidently we still need to catch up on areas like the ones you listed.
I am however grateful for your positive remarks about our team members as this is an important asset in any hotel and despite the lapses you encountered in regards to some of the physical aspects of the hotel, I hope we have, at least in part, contributed to some positive memories in our hotel.

I would be happy to further discuss this with you and therefore can be reached at my email address at: Knuth.Kiefer@Moevenpick.com

I look forward to hearing from you again and thank you for sharing your comments, which are essential for us to further improve.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We are stayig at Movenpick Hotel Cebu and were staying here for 4 nights and unfortunately will be leaving tomorrow.
I and my family (wife and 3 children) were very happy here and I wuld like to thank all the staff who made our stay truly memorable. The service was excellent and we like the hotel so much better after the renovation. The people also seem to be more attentive than during the time hilton was managing this hotel.
We shall be back in two months time and look forwad to our next visit.

Room Tip: book an ocean view room, lovely sunride in the early morning
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
I would like to thank you for the positive review and I am happy that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us.
The entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back again in two months time on your next visit. If we can do anything in preparation to make your next visit even better, please feel free to contact me at any time directly.

Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at the suite of this hotel recently.

The bathroom of the suites were small and the layout was so cramped, the tiles and decor were tacky, the shower fixtures were flimsy and hard to control out since it is china made and of poor quality. Not what you expect from a hotel at all. The housekeeping staff, however, were efficient and cleaned the rooms well.

The restaurant options were very limited but had good food (expensive), the service is one of the worse that you will find around the Philippines. The service staff were untrained and you had to followup several times before you get your order. It was a very frustrating experience to dine in the restaurants. There were a lot of flies inside the restaurants that did not seem to bother the restaurant staff.

The front desk personnel were in a class all their own, they spoke english but did not understand instructions. I speak cebuano fluently and did not also understand that, they were more focused on showing us that they could speak english but did not bother to understand that we just wanted our rooms. We booked a total of four rooms and made us wait for the turnover of one room for four hours. So frustrating!

The beach staff were almost absent so if you want to order something, you have to wait around 30 minutes for a waiter to arrive and another 30 minutes for your order to arrive. You have to repeatedly request for towels or bread for fish feeding before any of these things get to you.

The Ibiza beach restaurant/club is very nice but again the service is so poor. the food is so slow on the Churrasco/Brazilian Barbeque that we started dinner at 9pm even though we arrived at the restaurant and started ordering at 7:30pm.

Please save yourself the aggravation. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Needless to say, we are not staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not get the suites, request for newer/newly renovated rooms. Rooms have very small beds, the bed...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I would like to start by sincerely apologizing for not delivering you with the experience you expected at our hotel. Clearly, we have failed on various levels to provide service expected from a hotel such as ours.

I thank you for pointing those areas out to us so we can continue to improve and train our team members.

While I certainly understand the low rating you have attached to this review based on the disappointment of your stay, I was a bit surprised about your comment on our bathrooms, as they are not generally considered small by our guests. Additionally, the comment you made in regards to the Brazilian Churrasco surprised me, as this concept actually offers a salad and starter buffet and different cuts of meat and seafood served at your table, hence there should not be any real waiting time for the food to be served ones ordered. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly via my email ( Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com ) to provide further details and to give me an opportunity to better understand the problem you encountered.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

The food in the Ibiza beach club was good, especially the chirrasco. Great food, great wine, great music from the in house dj. The whole trip - from the airport pick up to the airport drop off - was stress free!

• Stayed May 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks a lot for the positive words about your stay and your experience at our signature outlet he Ibiza Beach Club in particular. I am glad to read that you enjoyed this unique and trendy place and we hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Food is brilliant and I cook a lot. Cleanliness is spotless. Prices are ridiculously low for the quality. The facilities excellent, ambiance is perfect. Don't even think about staying in any other resort. The people in Shangrila are actually swimming over to use the facilities and eat the food. Go while the prices are low as they are bound to go up soon.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for the very positive review you have written on this site. I am glad to read that we have met your expectations in all areas. I am not entirely sure if guests indeed would swim from the neighboring hotel to our property to eat in our restaurants, as the walk would likely be much faster and hassle free, we are obviously happy if guests, not staying with us also appreciate the brand new facilities.
In regards to our prices, I am glad that you find them low for the value we provide, and while there may certainly be rate increases at some point in the future, we always aim to provide our guests with great value for the money they spend at our hotel.

Thanks again and I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Knuth Kiefer

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!