We had our first summer vacation for 2014 here just this March. I was amazed how big the place is. The resort does not look outdated and we were lucky that they let us checked in by lunch time. (Note that their check in is at 3pm). I love beaches and prefer them over swimming pools. But my stay in plantation bay changed all that. I've been to newer 5 star resorts in the country and quite frankly I have lower expectation for this resort. I'm so happy that my experience is way beyond my expectations. Way Better!
Here is a detailed list of my review, and a few suggestions:
(+) 1. They are clean and well maintained. We chose a lagoon room (Nile area)
(-) 2. Though, it is clean upon entry, the room smelled rustic and old. I'm not sure where the smell is coming from since furnitures and walls does not seem old. But once the air conditioning was turned on and cooled the room, the smell vanished. May I suggest that you spray some air fresheners or put some flowers.
3. This is more of a suggestion... I hope they put a foot rug at the veranda area of lagoon side rooms.
(+) 1. There are a lot of things you can do here. You will never be bored. From different aqua sports (kayak, stand-up paddle boat, etc..), biking, riding the kalesa (only from friday-sunday), playing in their game room, archery, tennis, activities by the beach for kids, and there's also a children's center for younger kids. There's also a gondola/boat ride at night. Which is very romantic.
(+) 2. There are also island hopping packages, jet ski, and other aqua sports.
(-) 3. The children's center beside palermo cafe is quite small. I hope you expand this since based on my experience, it get cramped at night.
POOLS / BEACH AREA
(+) 1. There are lot! Since there are so many, I can't imagine the resort being overcrowded even during peak season.
(+) 2. I also love the fact that they clean it everyday. I was able to witness 1 pool being drained in the afternoon, but by the next day the lagoon is already filled up. Amazing job!
(+) 3. Though the lagoons are closed by night, the pools within the windward cluster and pavillion area can still be used at night. Very safe for children since its only 3ft.
(+) 4. Though the beach area is very small, its very well maintained and there a lot of small fish that children and adults too can enjoy.
(+) 5. For thrill seekers, there a lot of slides and 12 ft deep pool where one can jump from a man made cliff.
(-) 6. They are not strict with swimming outfit. I respect that some people (mostly foreigners... I'm guessing they are Koreans) does not want to get sunburned or get a tan. But please, do wear proper swimming outfits. Based on my observations, lifeguards allow them to wear, hawaian shirts, jacket (cotton), and leggings (cotton) while swimming in the pools. This should not be allowed. Haven't they heard of long sleeves rash guard and overall swimsuits?
RESTAURANTS / FOOD
(+) 1. There are 4 different restaurants within the resorts. Kilimanjaro is 24 hrs - I love this place and even if you get hungry by night there's no problem. Also tried other restaurants and love them all too.
(+) 2. They serve different buffet themes at night which I love.
(+) 3. I commend their policy that you can return the food (assuming 25% or less is consumed) if it does not adhere to your taste. Talk about customer service! Kudos to that!
(+) 4. At first glance, local guests may find their food prices expensive. But almost all food servings are big and good for sharing (2-3 persons). Hence, its more cheaper.
(+) 1. I loved the Mogambo springs Area. This is the spa area.
(+) 2. The place is very well maintained and clean
(+) 3. I love that there are a lot of trees and flowers. Feels more natural and cooler.
(+) 4. The resort has a strictly no tipping policy, which I think is very nice policy. Here you can be assured that all guests, local or foreign are served equally with quality customer service.
(+) 1. They have complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and mall area in cebu city.
(-) 2. They only have 2 shuttle schedules to/from the mall. I hope they do add more shuttle service time.
I will definitely come back to this resort. Maybe next time will try other rooms and much longer stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a resort in a class of its own. Set in 11.4 hectares of secluded grounds yet only 30 minutes from downtown Cebu City, Plantation Bay offers one of the largest privately-owned waterways in the world, with the clean elegance of colonial-plantation architecture. Decompress from life's pressures in the healing tranquility of an environment that truly feels "away from it all." If you have ever spent time at a tropical plantation, you know what we mean. If not, come and discover a refreshingly different flavor of life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, HotelTravel.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Plantation Bay Resort And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Bay Resort And Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Plantation Bay Hotel
- Plantation Bay Resort And Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island