“Not Bad for a 20 yr old Resort... EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 stars

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Marigondon, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Taguig City, Philippines
“Not Bad for a 20 yr old Resort... EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had our first summer vacation for 2014 here just this March. I was amazed how big the place is. The resort does not look outdated and we were lucky that they let us checked in by lunch time. (Note that their check in is at 3pm). I love beaches and prefer them over swimming pools. But my stay in plantation bay changed all that. I've been to newer 5 star resorts in the country and quite frankly I have lower expectation for this resort. I'm so happy that my experience is way beyond my expectations. Way Better!

Here is a detailed list of my review, and a few suggestions:

ROOMS:
(+) 1. They are clean and well maintained. We chose a lagoon room (Nile area)
(-) 2. Though, it is clean upon entry, the room smelled rustic and old. I'm not sure where the smell is coming from since furnitures and walls does not seem old. But once the air conditioning was turned on and cooled the room, the smell vanished. May I suggest that you spray some air fresheners or put some flowers.
3. This is more of a suggestion... I hope they put a foot rug at the veranda area of lagoon side rooms.

ACTIVITIES
(+) 1. There are a lot of things you can do here. You will never be bored. From different aqua sports (kayak, stand-up paddle boat, etc..), biking, riding the kalesa (only from friday-sunday), playing in their game room, archery, tennis, activities by the beach for kids, and there's also a children's center for younger kids. There's also a gondola/boat ride at night. Which is very romantic.
(+) 2. There are also island hopping packages, jet ski, and other aqua sports.
(-) 3. The children's center beside palermo cafe is quite small. I hope you expand this since based on my experience, it get cramped at night.

POOLS / BEACH AREA
(+) 1. There are lot! Since there are so many, I can't imagine the resort being overcrowded even during peak season.
(+) 2. I also love the fact that they clean it everyday. I was able to witness 1 pool being drained in the afternoon, but by the next day the lagoon is already filled up. Amazing job!
(+) 3. Though the lagoons are closed by night, the pools within the windward cluster and pavillion area can still be used at night. Very safe for children since its only 3ft.
(+) 4. Though the beach area is very small, its very well maintained and there a lot of small fish that children and adults too can enjoy.
(+) 5. For thrill seekers, there a lot of slides and 12 ft deep pool where one can jump from a man made cliff.
(-) 6. They are not strict with swimming outfit. I respect that some people (mostly foreigners... I'm guessing they are Koreans) does not want to get sunburned or get a tan. But please, do wear proper swimming outfits. Based on my observations, lifeguards allow them to wear, hawaian shirts, jacket (cotton), and leggings (cotton) while swimming in the pools. This should not be allowed. Haven't they heard of long sleeves rash guard and overall swimsuits?

RESTAURANTS / FOOD
(+) 1. There are 4 different restaurants within the resorts. Kilimanjaro is 24 hrs - I love this place and even if you get hungry by night there's no problem. Also tried other restaurants and love them all too.
(+) 2. They serve different buffet themes at night which I love.
(+) 3. I commend their policy that you can return the food (assuming 25% or less is consumed) if it does not adhere to your taste. Talk about customer service! Kudos to that!
(+) 4. At first glance, local guests may find their food prices expensive. But almost all food servings are big and good for sharing (2-3 persons). Hence, its more cheaper.

OVERALL RESORT/PLACE
(+) 1. I loved the Mogambo springs Area. This is the spa area.
(+) 2. The place is very well maintained and clean
(+) 3. I love that there are a lot of trees and flowers. Feels more natural and cooler.
(+) 4. The resort has a strictly no tipping policy, which I think is very nice policy. Here you can be assured that all guests, local or foreign are served equally with quality customer service.

OTHERS
(+) 1. They have complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and mall area in cebu city.
(-) 2. They only have 2 shuttle schedules to/from the mall. I hope they do add more shuttle service time.

I will definitely come back to this resort. Maybe next time will try other rooms and much longer stay.

Room Tip: If you choose lagoon rooms, ask them the NILE rooms. Its proximity to the 4 restaurants is great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear SingleWorkingMom,

We especially appreciate reviews from well-traveled guests like you. We’re delighted to learn that, even though you have been to newer luxury resorts in the country, Plantation Bay surpassed your expectations and was a pleasure for your entire family.

Thank you for the positive comments about our facilities, activities, spa, and restaurants. We're happy that you found the serving generous and the food delicious.

Thank you too for sharing your observations and suggestions. Appropriate measures will be undertaken so that we can improve for your next visit.

Nenette G. Castillon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at Plantation bay for the last Christmas vacation as a family of four with two kids (7 and 10), and enjoyed our stay a lot. We stayed in pool side rooms, and kids could directly jump in the water by waking up. Overall the place is nicely set up, with colonial style buildings bordering numerous lagoon like wide pools. The place is very safe for kids, and ours could quickly navigate by themselves through the different pool and play areas. The room was confortable and big enough for the family with 2 big beds. My wife used and overused the spa, and was happy with it. We had a nice stay, enjoyed the activities, and could rest and savor the tropical mood in all safety. Service was nice, staff was friendly. And there is not much to complain about. If I shall mention some negatives, I would say that the downside of being very safe, is that the place is isolated behind high walls. The consequence is that there is practically no convenient alternative to the local breakfast offer or to the restaurants. And the breakfast is priced on the high side (22USD per adult and half of it per kids), for something correct, but not exceptional. We paid 40% less for a much better breakfast at the Cebu Radisson Blu Hotel. Another point that should be mentionned is that the beach is small and not really nice. But this is not really important as you will end up spending your time resting along the fantastic pool areas. Overall a very nice and safe place.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are very nice for families
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Frank1207111,

We're happy that, throughout your stay, your children enjoyed our leisure facilities, while you and your wife were free to relax and enjoy our spa.

Thank you for the compliments, especially for sharing how Plantation Bay's family-friendly ambience and staff contributed to making your 4-night stay an enjoyable one.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

FIRST IMPRESSION: I was amaze of the scale and beauty of their artificial lagoons. They have two larger-than-life lagoons with a white sand island in the middle. It would be hard not to be amaze with those and add the countless of smaller lagoons and pool then a one day exploration will never be enough to cover those. However, they really can't have it all because the interior design overall just doesn't shout luxury. They opt for a native ambience so it is understandable to not be too flashy with the furnishing but they forget to be classy as well that is necessary for the resort of their calibre. Some furniture update would do them good to catch up with the growing trend of the modern world. The ceiling painting in Kilimanjaro Kafe looks cheap. It seems they forgot to update the furnishing they have frozen in time over two decades ago.

CLEANLINESS: The resort is spotless no matter how huge it is they made an effort to keep it in a tip toe shape even the humongous lagoons and white sand island.

LOCATION: If solitary and privacy is what you are searching for then this resort is ideal for you. It is very far from the crowded city. Good for diving and snorkeling because it is facing the Olango Wildlife Sanctuary but just don't set an expectation from its real coastline because it may disappoint you.

ROOMS: Spacious, complete with the necessary amenities and depending on the accommodation type you avail for you are given your own free WiFi and relieves you of the stress of sharing it with other guests.

SERVICE: The staff is quick to respond to your needs if you phone them. Everyone is hospitable to give you a warm smile and greeting when you encounter them outside on a stroll.

VALUE: It is expensive as expected from a five star resort but you will get the worth of your money. The cheapest room they have costs $160+ / Php7000+ (Poolside Room) and day tour packages costs around $44+ / Php2000 per person. They have loads of activity on their facility that will keep you entertain all throughout your stay.

FOOD: They have four available restaurants each caters to a specific cuisine but if you opt for a native Filipino delicacies then Kilimanjaro Kafe is a good choice because that's where we dine most. The variety in the menu is good enough not to bore your taste buds but some dish lacks a distance taste that will associate it to the restaurant. They need a signature dish that only they offer. Pochero & Pancit Canton is recommendable.

Read my in-depth review in http://thebisdakexplorer.blogspot.com/

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear BisdakExplorer,

Thank you for specifically mentioning that you found Plantation Bay spotless and its staff friendly and prompt.

The architectural style of the resort is “plantation”, with decorative motifs borrowed from the US Deep South, Caribbean, and Filipino plantations. The result is a very pleasing, relaxed ambience that appeals equally to couples, families with children (especially 3 and 4-generation families), and business-persons tired of the usual high-rises. While we constantly refurbish the resort, we are careful to maintain its theme. Plantation Bay doesn’t feel like a hotel; it feels like a friendly village, or a rich friend’s estate.

Thank you for your review, especially for sharing your beautiful photos with us.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had a great stay in Plantation Bay. Lots of activities in the resort, nice beach and pool. My only complain would be that they do not include breakfast in the hotel price so you have to pay it separately. overall it was a nice and relaxing stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear lorenzo l,

Thank you for your review.

We're happy to know that you appreciated our various leisure activities and swimming facilities and that you and your family had a memorable stay at Plantation Bay.

We are now offering a special breakfast package to our guests. For only $30++ per day per room, every occupant of our regular rooms will enjoy a full breakfast buffet, up to 3 adults, or 2 adults + 2 children. We hope that like most recent guests, you will find this a good value for your money.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

"Where everyday is an adventure". I have just returned from another wonderful stay in Plantation Bay, Cebu and I have nothing but good words to say! Definitely one of the best resorts I've been to. The place is wonderful, the staff are seamless, food is extraordinary and the overall experience is unforgettable. Spent a whole day in Mogambo Springs (The Spa in PB) and I felt rejuvenated. PB is now my favorite "home away from home". (RM - Tahiti 07 (Oct '13), Nile 22 (March '14))

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear MackyroniMD,

We are happy that you had an enjoyable second visit to Plantation Bay.

Thank you for the high praise and for sharing your love of our good food and the wide array of activities we have for everyone to enjoy. And a big Thank you! for highlighting our spa and staff in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Cebu soon.

Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Plantation Bay in Cebu made my first time visit there with family very memorable. The place is like a small subdivision with pools and beaches, spa, and packed with so many recreational facilities that you'd hardly know where to start.

First thing one will notice is the remarkable customer service. They have a "no tipping" policy since we were told that all their workers are paid very well so much so that they are happy and able enough not to need tips. I've never had a time when I would encounter a staff who didn't greet and serve us so courteously, this hotel truly lived up to the expectation of exceptional service.

I loved the design concept of this resort too. Of course once cannot exactly replace a real beautiful beach, but the man-made beach/pools were still fun to swim in and made for a very pretty layout over-all.

I also absolutely LOVED their spa. It had many different kind of hot and cold pools, I made sure to try each and every one of them.

My family and I also enjoyed the many recreational activities the resort provided. I was able to borrow a bike and drove around the entire resort, after which, my family and I enjoyed archery and wall-climbing. The resort also had a library, a billiard pool and many others I could not remember now. They also had a big play place for my then 4 year old nephew who enjoyed the place.

The resort also had many different restaurants that you could choose from. The only downside is they're charged a bit higher and we weren't that happy with the taste (the lobster wasn't cooked so well). That's our only regret though and we wished we could have gone out to eat restaurants in the city that charged less but were more delicious.

Other than that though, I had an extremely great time :)

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear ubechan,

We are happy to note that you and your family had an enjoyable time bonding over our activities. Moreover, that you appreciated our service and spa facilities.

We recently included stand up paddleboard races, yoga, gondola rides, and mermaid lessons in our activities. By the time you come back for your next visit, we hope there will be something new and exciting for you and your family to enjoy!

Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This resort is fantastic, small enough to walk the whole place on foot & big enough to house all the accommodations & facilities. The lagoon is well maintained and beautiful, enjoyed the activities available in the lagoon. Food were excellent from the 4 restaurants, but our favorites were breakfast/lunch at Kilimanjaro & dinner at Palermo. Tried Scuba Discovery & Para-Sailing at Aqua Sports, went shooting at the Shooting Range and taught my children how to play pool & darts at the Gym & GameRoom. Throughout our stay, all the resort staff were always friendly & helpful. My 8 years old son gave a 5 Stars for this resort & said he wants to come back again, and we couldn't agree with him more. Thank you Plantation Bay for making our holiday a very pleasant one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear bhslee,

It's nice going through your photos and reading about your enjoyable holiday at Plantation Bay.

Considering that you stayed here an entire week, it is good to know that during all this time you and your children never ran out of things to do. We do our best to make sure our guests need not go far to enjoy and have fun and we're happy that you appreciated our efforts and took the time to really explore the resort.

Thank you for the positive review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Nenette G. Castillon

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!