“Beautiful Resort catering to R&R” 4 of 5 stars

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Marigondon, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 26 hotels in Lapu Lapu
Clementon, New Jersey
“Beautiful Resort catering to R&R”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visited Plantation Bay the last week of February with my Mom. We visited the Philippines together, and she has been to this property on several occasions, and I understand why. We stayed in a 2 queen suite, in a secluded area with a pool right in front of our doorstep. I loved the pool right there, because I had some serious jet lag, so I swam to relax.

Very helpful staff that will cater to your every need.

Very clean, and everything is in order.

There is a spa on location that have several whirlpools with various temperatures. Cold, warm, and hot. They have a man-made waterfall in the spa area, replicating waterfalls in Japan. Another spa amenity is the sauna, which is very relaxing. You are also able to adjust the temperature in the sauna, which is a plus. We scheduled massages, and were able to use the amenities automatically. Unsure if they have a spa pass available to guests or the spa amenities are automatically open to guests, but definitely ask. The amenities at the spa are worth a visit. Especially if you're a non-guest, visiting someone at the resort, definitely inquire if they offer spa passes to non-guests.

As for the massage, personally, I felt the massage was bit rough at some points that I was unable to truly relax and enjoy. Some people like poking and prodding, hurt in the good way during their massages, I am not that person. I asked for less pressure, and at times the masseuse would lessen pressure for a minute and then go back to painfully kneading me. I wasn't a fan, or perhaps if I ever receive a massage at this location, to strongly specify I would like light to medium pressure. Because during the massage, it felt like the masseuse's skinny fingers were digging into my insides vs. massaging my knots of stress away. I walked away in pain vs. relaxed and relieved. Which is why I didn't give the resort a 5 star rating.

The staff is fluent in several languages.
The rooms are spacious
Beds are comfortable.
The AC is strong, and easy to adjust. They also have ceilings fans available if you prefer no AC.
The lighting is bright, but not shockingly bright.
The bottom floors have their own patio space, and the upstair floors have their own balcony area.
The bathrooms are equally spacious, with a shower stall and big bath tub. Also the bathrooms have good water pressure.
The room service is delicious, especially the encimada (It's super sugary.)
The resort itself is beautiful with a huge lagoon (salt water and non-salt water), swimming pools with slides, waterfalls, and a beach is right on the property as well. In the salt-water area, there is a "cliff" you can jump off of, which is actually a high dive platform made to look like a cliff. In that area the water is 12 ft deep. The majority of the pools are only about 3'/4' to 5' deep.
The main pool area of the resort has a swim up bar, and a mountain like cave area. I think I spent the majority of my visit in the water.
There are also 5 restaurants on the premises.

If you can afford it, definitely invest in the island hopping package, include the fish feeding option as well. The staff can guide you on how to book this option. The island is amazing, and swimming in the ocean, while feeding tropical fish was one of those amazing once in a lifetime opportunities you have to experience.

In addition, there are other water sports activities, such as scuba diving and kayaking.

My family and I had a wonderful experience, and it was a great starting off point to visiting the Philippines. I hope to return again in the future to experience more happy memories.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having the secluded rooms by the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Rebecca P,

It's nice to receive guests from New Jersey, where many of our staff have relatives.

Thank you for sharing how you liked your room and the resort's ambience, and for recommending our island hopping package. We're happy that you met some of the island's tropical fishes, and that you enjoyed your fish-feeding experience with them.

We apologize that you felt your massage was a bit rough, and already counseled our therapists about it.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments. We too look forward to creating more happy memories with you.

791 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dumaguete City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at a "Water's Edge" villa for 3 nights in August and I think it was a tad overpriced but not a deal breaker.
The service was very good, everyone was approachable and always ready to serve you.
All of the staff wear smiles on their faces.
The no tipping policy didn't stop their people from being effective.
I would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed August 2013
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear redjazon,

At Plantation Bay, we give all our guests the highest standard of service, without their ever having to worry about when, whom, or how much to tip. This is something that sets us apart from other hotels, and we're happy that you highlighted this in your review.

We are always adding something new at Plantation Bay. Some recent additions include the Whale Shark Adventure, Stand-up Paddleboards, and yoga on the water. In fact, we're fairly sure that we offer more diverse leisure activities and facilities than any other hotel in the country. Next time you come, please ask our Recreation staff for some new ideas on how to spend your time.

Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my second stay in Plantation Bay. I admit I was a little concerned as seven years had passed since our first stay. I thought the resort might be a little run down by now, especially as there were some negative comments to this effect on tripadvisor. However, I decided to pursue as I thought the man-made lagoons ideal for our 10 month old.

1) The facilities were definitely not shabby; certainly not in the common areas. I surmise that some of the negative comments came up because their particular room was due for refurbishment but ours clearly did not need work. Kilimanjaro (the main clubhouse) was being refurbished – which I suppose supports my earlier point. I wish however I was told of this prior to my visit because I had fond memories there, and I might have changed my travel dates. However, upon learning of this during my arrival, it was certainly not enough for me to cancel, and the hotel of course moved the activities held there to other parts of the resort.

2) As first time parents, and this being our first trip as a family, we naturally had a lot of concerns. I can definitely say that this is a child friendly resort. Aside from the lagoon, which is ideal, they had a cot, with all the appropriate pillows and linens ready. You can have bottles sterilized by the butler. You can also make specific requests to the cook for things you want removed from food to be served to your child. Also, I thought the reservations group particularly helpful for answering all our concerns promptly before the trip.

3) As a Filipino, I did find it a bid odd that the staff have a habit of bowing. My guess is there are alot of Korean and Japanese guests and these are just subconscious reflexes, and in my opinion trivial. However, I wish to point out two specific instances where I found the guest service went above and beyond.

a) As I mentioned I have a 10month old. We booked a one bedroom suite and placed him in the room nearest the hallway. When we asked for things, my wife was concerned that as the attendants knocked they would wake our son so she asked that they go around to the porch on the masters bedroom which was open (and we were on the ground floor). I was impressed that she only had to mention it once, and every time house keeping came, they remembered without being reminded. In fact, it rained, later in the day, and the staff ran through the rain to deliver.

b) During the buffet I would ask for random things (water, vinegar, etc.). The staff would smile and fetch them. Later on I noticed these items in some part of the room, obviously we were meant to go fetch them ourselves. I actually felt pretty bad about this. I wish the staff had told me and I would gladly have gotten up and fetched these myself. Yet they continued to do these things, which were obviously not meant for them to do, and do so with a smile.

4) The food. In absolute terms, yes it is expensive. But comparable to any other resort of comparable caliber, and consistent with what you find in the website so I knew what I was getting into. I prefer thinking of it as good value for money. My wife, who is much more discerning agrees.

5) Some other things. The resort is distant from Cebu, with traffic, the trip back from Ayala Mall took us 1.5hours (1hour to). If you are a local, I don’t think this is worth your time, just buy your pasalubong in the airport even if pricier.

Room Tip: Study the website, they outline all the types of rooms. See which works best for you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alvin_L1976,

Like you, many guests find Plantation Bay well-maintained and child-friendly.

Thank you for the kind words about the food, which we really put a lot of effort into; it is nice to know that though you found our prices expensive, this was understandable because of the quality offered.

And a big Thank You! for your comments about our staff and service. We're heartened by your positive review, and look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Yukon, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This resort gets a 5 star rating from me. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They have a lot to offer right there on there property and all the Restaurants within the resort are all excellent with delicious food. They will help you with any attractions that you would like to go and see and they will assist you in getting there. If you are not sure what to do in Cebu they will help you out with that also. When I went there me and my fiancee were well rested and relaxed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear tthevis,

Thank you for taking the time to share how you and your fiancée had a relaxing holiday at Plantation Bay. We're happy to learn that you liked our food, which we really put a lot of effort into, and found our staff very friendly and helpful.

And a big Thank You! for sharing your photos. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

And please accept our best wishes for your future married life in Oklahoma!

Taguig City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Spent 1 night here last weekend.

Pros: For a man made lagoon, pool - it is quite impressive. Food at Fiji is delicious, but can be expensive. Free shuttle to and from the airport. Easy hassle free check in and check out- they have separate counters for this. Service is good, every staff was courteous and attentive. Complimentary knick knacks like candies, chicharon, etc.. Other activities like gym, billiards, etc.. (I didn't inquire if its for free, since it was packed with people when we visited).

Cons: Check in is at 3pm and activities such as wall climb, archery are only till 5pm. Breakfast, slippers and kayaking does not come in for free, for 175 USD per night, I was hoping it would be inclusive. Quite far from outside world, so if you want to go out and eat out elsewhere can be a hassle. I was expecting for toothpaste and tooth brush but doesn't have any (perhaps you need to ask, luckily I brought one). Helmet used in wall climb smells stinky ( they need to clean it). Noisy neighbors (random bad luck being placed with them).

Suggestion: Move the check in earlier or extend the free activities time frame. I was hoping you will have a water dispenser per building. Note: you have a complimentary water 1 liter if I am not mistaken and you can ask for refill.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear dkq2005,

Thank you for the review. We're pleased that you found our lagoons and pools impressive and that you liked the food in Fiji Restaurant.

We have passed on to our staff your appreciation of our service and everyone was happy to hear your encouraging feedback.

We have taken note of your comment about the wall-climbing, and will discuss with our Recreation staff how we can offer longer hours. Whenever possible, of course, we try to release a room as soon as the guest arrives; but when the hotel is full, and the previous night's guests stay until 12 noon (as most do), we have to stick by the 3 PM "official" check-in time. Our apologies for any disappointment this might have occasioned.

Montrose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in this resort Aug 4-7, 2013 for a family clan celebration. The resort is a nice place for a relaxing weekend hideaway. The plus side is there's so much activities going on that boredom is no excuse. For a fee, you can rent a bike or seguey; there's also water sports, archery, target practice with real guns, all under the watchful eyes of trainers. There's an unattended function room for children stuffed with toys; a small but well appointed gym next to a game room with billiard tables and shooting darts. A golf cart dressed up to look like a jeepney is the main transportation around the complex.

With all its facilities and amenities, the fact that this is a nice "man made" paradise says it all. It's got lots of pools, bungalows, private villas (where we stayed), even man made lakes. The only semblance of mother nature is a small stretch of beach. So if you're a nature tripper, this place will be a disappointment.

The bottom line, this is a quaint but well designed artificial, man made resort designed to copy nature's best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear hmspcl,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our various leisure activities and facilities. Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun, and we are happy that you appreciated our efforts and found the resort ideal for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Thank you for your review.

Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate my kid's birthday and everything was perfect up to the last detail.. We had a great time swimming, kayaking, snorkeling and strolling. Our room was posh and very comfortable.. The linens were carefully chosen to soothe, the bathroom space was huge even with the shower and bathtub in it. There were also a lot of nice restaurants to choose from, and some were even open for 24 hours. One time, we had a late night snack and we preferred specific foods and even if it wasn't in the menu, the chef prepared it exactly the way we wanted it, much to our delight! The spa was very relaxing with a lot of herbal pools to wade in and services that could ease all your stress away.. Food choices during breakfast can satisfy even the picky eater. You can have lunch by the beach, as the seafood restaurant offers a seaside view. And you can have a sumptous dinner buffet while watching the talented staff transform themselves into magicians, dancers, singers, etc. Everything exceeded our expectations. Our kids loved the musical show. Our buggy driver in the morning was one of the terrific dancers at night. That's multi-tasking! We will definitely go back there.. The staff were so nice.. And your kids get to enjoy saltwater within a safe distance from your room.. Overall ambiance was splendid!

Room Tip: all rooms are nice :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear docjac2013,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your child's birthday at Plantation Bay!

Almost all guests agree that our massage is among the best they've ever had. Thank you for being a testament to this, and for sharing how impressed you were with our rooms, food, activities, nightly entertainment, and staff.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Nenette G. Castillon

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!