We stayed at the Maribago over easter for 3 nights, having just returned yesterday. The report itself is very beautiful, lots of space and even though there were a lot of people, there were three or more swimming pools plus a couple large beaches so felt a lot less busy.
We stayed in the Garden Wing Deluxe Room, so there was a swimming pool right in front of our room. The swimming pools were large and the landscaping was beautiful. The room also had a small terrace with a table and chairs in front so that you could sit outside if you preferred.
The staff were very friendly, and very attentive. The reception staff gave us lots of tips for the excursions we wanted to take and even helped to call and speak to the local staff for an island hopping tour that we booked (which wasn't through the hotel). When we got bored of the sun, there were wi-fi zones around the hotel, we played pool or ping pong and went to the gym. The gym was free and clean but very basic, with only about 4 machines and a weights area, plus a tv.
We went to a couple of their themed dinners and really enjoyed the shows - one was based on Hawaiian dancing and the other was a local type of dancing. The food however was not too great, but I think we just got unlucky. One other night we went to the Cove for a seafood meal and thought that the value for the meal was excellent. We had lobster, garoupa, scallops and rice, which were all freshly picked from the tanks by us and weighed on the spot by the staff. The staff spent a lot of time showing us each tank one by one, telling us about the seafood and how it would be cooked. Amazing time. We also had fresh oysters (a dozen) and 2-for-1 cocktails at the oyster bar every day between 4-6pm, which looked over the beach and ocean. A perfect place to end the afternoon after all the sun. The breakfast was included in the room so cant complain much, but it was aimed towards locals or Asian tastes more. The only western item we could enjoy was some bacon, eggs and some toast, which was fine, but would be great to have more variety.
I have to say that our room, which was the cheapest, was the biggest downfall. It was on the ground floor and so whenever someone walked past, you could hear them very easily. This was often the staff who were pushing carts or trolleys around etc so very loud rattling. The rooms dont have proper windows, but more wooden shutters that slided open and closed so no proper insulation against noise. Also as the window faced the bungalows opposite, it was very very dark. During the day, we had to have all the lights on to be able to see anything in the room so it wasn't pleasant staying in there. Best to request an upstairs room if you are in these garden wing rooms as it had a balcony but the doors slided open to let more light in.
Another issue with the room was that there were bugs everywhere. I woke up with a caterpillar crossing in front of my nose on my blanket. We then went to the bathroom to find an ant infestation all over our sink. There were ants in our toothpaste, on our toothbrushes, on the shampoo, and pretty much just everywhere.
We had room service once and the food arrived 40 minutes later very soggy and not great, so probably best to just have lunch in the nearby restaurant!
Overall, we didn't spend much time in the bedroom so I would be happy to return to the resort again. It took us about 20 minutes in the taxi (who always try to bargain for a fixed rate) from the airport to get there. In a metered taxi, it should cost about 160 pesos. We walked to a small shop across the road from the hotel to buy water, snacks and more sunblock as the hotel shop was very expensive.
Hope to go again soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine the sweetness of doing nothing and the satisfaction of doing everything. It is an art you can discover and perfect at Bluewater Maribago, a lush 7-hectare tropical paradise of pure intimate pleasure. Here we put thought into every details of your stay, from the moment we greet you "Mabuhay" to the time we bid you "Farewell".Here, your options are countless: 158 well-appointed rooms, 110-meter beachfront of pristine sand, a private island, 3 lagoon-shaped swimming pools with waterfalls, children's playground, recreation and water sports center, full-service restaurants and bars and the pampering treatment of Amuma Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maribago Bluewater Beach Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Hotel Maribago Bluewater Beach
- Maribago Bluewater Beach Resort
- Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort Cebu Island/Mactan Island