“PARADISE!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
SIN
“PARADISE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stayed at the Shangri-la on the advice of some friends and family and I was not disappointed with the hotel. The hotel is beautiful with a private beach and a large swimming pool with plenty of spaces by the pool and beach to relax with a drink and a good book. I did not travel with young kids, but the hotel is incredibly "child-friendly" with a good sized crèche and a separate games area for adolescents. The food was good, although slightly over-priced as is the case with most 5* hotels. The service was fantastic! The staff were friendly and responsive. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

The hotel has sprawling grounds with pools, a white sand beach, restaurants, playgrounds for children and friendly staff.
We booked a de luxe family room which was enough for our family. We were offered to upgrade to an ocean view room which would offer us more "privileges" but I don't think access to the exclusive ocean view lounge with unlimited drinks and light snacks deserved the P9000++ additional that we had to shell out.
Anyway, we loved our room as it is because it is conveniently located on the first floor...we had young children so this was the safer alternative. The room was very clean and the sofa bed was a perfect addition to the 2 queen-sized beds already in the room.
They had an adventure zone for kids 4 to 12 years old while a toddlers zone for those kids 3 and below. The hotel also had an e-zone for those who would like to play video games, air hockey, wii, pool, etc. I think they also had karaoke rooms. My kids loved these places.
Service was quite good although there were instances when the reception areas can get crowded.
The beach had white sand and was relatively clean. It was not very big but it seemed adequate. Fish feeding was a highlight for my children and the bread was provided for by the hotel. The pools were very clean and not too crowded. I liked the fact that they provided thick, clean-smelling towels in the beach and pool area.
We had our snack and dinner at the Acqua restaurant which serves Italian food. The taste of the food was average but the service was superb.
Everything was almost perfect then we had our breakfast buffet at the Tides. I must say I was very disappointed with the selection. They did not have garlic rice...you had to ask for it in order to get it. Their juice selection is lacking...I miss the grapefruit juice. They lacked Filipino breakfast selections like tocino, adobo, longganiza.... I was surprised by the lack of choices since the Heat in Edsa Shangri-la had a better selection. This was such a disappointment considering that it IS supposed to be a Shangri-la.
Overall, a great stay...now, if they can only improve the taste and selection of their food, it would be perfect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Hotel is just perfect ... nothing to complain... super friendly professional staff and great choice of food and activities possible

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Beach was rocky especially at low tide but lots of fish; food was so so at buffet; people give you various different information depending on who you happen to ask. They have a free yoga class in the spa which was in the schedule for Tuesdays but no one will tell you that you have to make reservations. I showed up one time and they didnt have it bec they said I didnt make a booking. Well, why is an every Tues 10am advertised free yoga then? We wanted to buy this tray which they quoted us for the last 2 days but come time to purchase, they said they are not selling the trays and havent been for a while. Huh? The old wing is smelly my allergies just was out of control. Was sneezing as soon as I got in the room. Very musty. They have a new wing (ocean view) which was much better but you have to pay more. Just don't check out in that wing. We bought one of the 3-day packages but didn't have time to print the reservation. The person checking us in went thru our package when we got there but depending on who you talk to during your stay, some of what's included in our package kept on disappearing in the system. Finally the last day, since it kept on happening, I confirmed with Faith our included aiport transportation. She said it's not included. After discussing for more than the time I want to spend on my last day arguing, she checked w/ another lobby attendant and finally realized that indeed it was included in our package. Low and behold, once we were ready to check in, the charge is again in our bill! We then spent 1/2 hour arguing this with the person at checkout and while Faith was on the other line. They just can't decide. Granted is not a huge amount but to add to a USD#2k bill on a 3-day stay was just not right when we already paid for it! I guess the system is screwed up there! Instead of giving us credit, they charged us even more since they said there was an error in the bill that our spa bill was less than what it should have been. Don't go without bringing your confirmation for proof of your package!! Be prepared for add-ons to your bill like about 12% VAT, 10% service fee, taxes, etc..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

What's up with this $200+ room rate hotel?
No email communication system directly with the local contact office-anybody?
The reason why I am asking is I am used to communicate hotels worldwide with my reservations/confirmation and in cases I need to contact either the front desk or reservation office for any changes or modifications, I just email them and presto! - they
respond! And some of them are below $200 room rate.

Something is not right there. Now I have to make overseas call and with the time difference, it's really a big hassle! Talk about SHANGRI LA service! Please do better
than that! Thank you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I was first hesitant to book our long awaited holiday due to the price but I said why bother with the price if its worth it, and indeed I made the right decision. My 2 nights holiday in this awesome resort was so wonderful that I am planning to go back next month.
I booked thru their website for an Ocean Panorama room but upon check-in I was enticed by Mae, the amiable Front Desk lady, to upgrade to an Ocean Club room, and again it was the right decision. We were assisted to our room by a very nice Chinese lady named Maggie. I remember thru her my friends from Beijing.
Our room has a spectacular view of the Mactan Sea and the Ocean Wing pool, which is the most important thing for us, as my partner and I love a good view of the sea. We also had a veranda with chairs and table where we can enjoy more the view,
Getting an Ocean Club room has so many perks and privileges that my partner and I truly enjoyed - among which are the cocktail buffet from 5pm to 7pm, the complimentary use of water garden spa facilities at the Chi and the private checkout which makes you feel very important.
We also had complimentary fresh ripe big mangoes and housekeeping is done twice a day, with some cute little details like bookmarks, weather advisory that I appreciate most. Also the toiletries are of excellent kind, that of L'Occitane. Really nice...love also their fluffy bedroom slippers and mind you even rubber slippers are provided by the hotel.
About the people, from the housekeeping to the service staff in the restaurants - they are all very accommodating and always ready to assist, special mention to our chauffeur, Arnel. We rented a car to buy our pasalubongs and to visit the Cebu tourist spots. He is so courteous, he is always ready with his umbrella to make sure we are protected from the sun and very helpful and quick to carry our shopping bags. He is not only a chauffeur but a bodyguard assistant as well.
The food also in the restaurants ( we tried Buco Grill, Tides, Lobby Lounge and Acqua - too bad we did not get to Cowrie Cove coz I got tipsy already and raining in our last night) are good though not so spectacular. Surprisingly, the prices are reasonable considering its a 5-star hotel.
To top it all, the place itself is real amazing. We were like kids swimming with the school of fish that abounds in the beach, also acted again as kids when we tried the complimentary kayak. Just sitting down in those beach chairs looking at the Mactan sea is so relaxing, it will make you come back for more.
And yes we will...truly indeed it is a Shangri-La.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
metro manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Great amenities, the beach was superb, recreation room for kids and the playgym area. We stayed there most of the time. Breakfast was really great, with a wide variety of choices. Staff were very friendly and always ready to assist you. We had a pleasant 3 days in this wonderful hotel. Can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!