“Paradise...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Paradise...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The place was just beautiful. The staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating. The rooms and the facilities are beautiful. Plenty of activities to occupy yourself from a variety of exciting watersports, golf, sunbathing, swimming etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cebu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Kids love this place, Adults love the place... the service is extraordinaire... the food is excellent and the People are wonderful. You cant go wrong spending your holiday alone with your partner or with your kids in this place. Worth every penny!!! Highly cmmmendable place. My kids just love to come back and come back to this wonderful place....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

When I first came to this resort some years ago, I was not impressed. The rooms are far from the pool and the beach. Kinda tiring going back to our room if we left something if we are already in the beach. However, when we checked-in last Aug 25, 2013, i was really impressed with the room. It has complete amenities, plus a welcome fruit platter. Unlike other hotels that has only 2 pieces glass for water, they have 6. Yes, 6! Well, the 2, I think is a whiskey glass; but not bad at all, having those stuff; and, unlike other other hotels that has only a small bar of soap and a shampoo, well, Shangri-La has, besides the bar soap and shampoo, they have liquid soap, conditioner, lotion, liquid soap and a hair tie. Only in this i have seen a hair tie as one of the amenities. They are just full of amenities inside the room, i just find it so comforting seeing those.

Room Tip: View from their Sea view rooms are just amazing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver Island, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was on holiday in the Philippines from Canada and wanted to have a luxurious weekend by the beach. We settled on Shangri-la Mactan after learning about their marine life sanctuary. We headed for the beach right after check in. I liked that their beach wasn't crowded and even in shallow water you can snorkel and see the corals and fish. But it was very unfortunate that after having dinner at their restaurant (Tides) on our first night, I got very sick 8 hours later. I was throwing up, had stomach cramps and diarrhea. I was brought to the hospital and doctors said I had gastroenteritis, likely from consumption of improperly prepared of food. Of all the restaurants, hotels and countries that I have been to and stayed, it's unbelievable this happened in a 5-star hotel. The hotel refused to admit they served contaminated food and wanted to blame it on a brunch I had at another restaurant before I checked into the hotel. If that was the case, I would've been sick already in the afternoon of our first day not the following morning.

So there I was spending the following morning in the hospital. The rest of my stay in the hotel was spent between frequent runs to the toilet and lying down sick in bed. Gone was my much-anticipated plan stay on the beach. What I find so ridiculous is to still be charged $570 for a two night stay knowing we didn't even get to avail of the room inclusions like the free breakfast because I was too sick to leave the room. In the first place, it wasn't my fault that i fell ill and got stuck in bed.

Everyone in the hotel was helpful, polite and all, the hotel F&B manager did say I will not be charged for any food and drinks but I just checked my credit card transactions and I still see such charges in my credit card. If the charges will eventually be reversed, I don't know. But really now, what is that compared to what they put me through. We checked out this morning and I am still not well. There goes my vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear claire122,

We are sorry you have been unwell and hope you are now feeling better. We understand your disappointment and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and your family. Please be assured that we maintain internationally recognized standards of food hygiene and sanitation and these measures are seriously regarded to ensure a clean environment for our guests and colleagues.

As a gesture of goodwill and as committed, food and beverage expenses have not been reflected in your total bill.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

best place to stay in Cebu, I was there for 4 nights and enjoyed each and every moment.

large clean pool with good choice of feed across the multi choice restaurants.

Used their shuttle for airport pick and drop, which was a good, how ever will prefer a more regular service in morning, when most of the flight leave from Cebu.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

New York City, New York, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Excellent property and well worth the money spent. Great and attentive staff in all aspects. The beach is great also on my first day there I witness a patron apparently having trouble in the water. In no time the Lifeguard on duty responded to the situation and probably saved the man's life.

Room Tip: If possible get the panoramic view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La for our stop-over holiday between living in Australia and returning to America. We splurged and got a 1 bedroom suite in order to provide separate sleeping areas. Arriving late and tired, the room was made up and 2 beds for the children were ready and waiting. The resort staff was extremely friendly and attentive. There was always a table available at breakfast. The kids (ages 9 and 6) enjoyed the kids club, though the 6 year old loved it more. Very convenient to have a Dive Shop on the grounds. My son did the PADI Bubble-maker course and got out on the reef. I had my first dive in 11 years.
So relaxing by the pool or the beach. Great happy hour specials down at the beach bar. The food was good but not great (compared to other Shangri-La resorts we've been to). Best selection at the breakfast buffet and good quality at the dinner buffets.
And lots of delicious mangoes!! Fresh mangoes, mango smoothies, mango juice, mango cocktails, mango ice cream. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask about the construction /renovation. One entire wing was being re-done when we were there in July...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!