“The best for many years is now the worst!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Manna STK Food House

Manna STK Food House
Mactan Shrine | Punta Engano Road, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines (Formerly Manna Sutukil)
+63 32 495 8009
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 70 Restaurants in Lapu Lapu
Cuisines: Filipino, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: We offer delicious native Cebuano seafood cuisine. We also have a choice of vegetable and meat dishes for non-seafood lovers. Our first floor is air-conditioned and the second floor is open fresh air. You get a scenic view of the mangroves. Located on the site where the famous Battle of Mactan took place (historic battle between Spanish explorer Ferdinand Magellan and local chieftain Lapu-Lapu (first national hero of the Philippines).
Dumaguete City, Philippines
“The best for many years is now the worst!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My family ate here on every trip to Cebu since 2001. It was the best restaurant in the Philippines! However, on Sunday, May 13th, 2012 we experienced the worst culinary nightmare of our lives! The man behind the seafood counter picked our squid for both our Calamari rings and for grilled squid, large prawns for Tempura, and we also ordered a plate of Bihon Guisado for one of our daughters. Everything was fine until my daughter took a few bites of Guisado. She is normally a huge eater, but she said she was not very hungry! Next, I ate a Calamari ring, it had a strong after flavor like dead seafood on the beach after a storm. Not good at all! I next tried my wife's grilled squid, it had the same, but stronger stench to it which made me realize that this food was not the same as we had eaten for the last 10 years! The worst episode of the day was when my Shrimp Tempura was delivered about 20 minutes after all the other food. At first bite it was too soft textured to be fresh, but as I was hungry, I ate one anyway. Then grabbed number the two shrimp and took one bite that was absolutely the worst putrid slim I have ever put into my mouth. Even the table next to us looked over at our table to see where the stench was coming from! this dish was absolutely spoiled from top to bottom, but the second shrimp was the most sickening! What made the meal worse was that after we had the server smell the remaining piece of the number 2 shrimp he raced off with it to the manager to ask what to do with this smelly mess that he had just served. The manager never even bothered to visit our table, he just told the server that there was nothing he could do about it. After I complained a little louder about this smelly putrid meal and asked to see the manager, the server again left and come back with a offer of a discount of less than one tenth of the bill for the spoiled items. We just arrived home in Dumaguete, two days later, after having to stay an extra day in a hotel in Cebu with severe stomach pains and diarrhea which prevented me from even leaving the room for over 24 hours! I can only guess that the Manna restaurant we once loved and adored has been sold to a new unscrupulous owner or that a new manager has recently replace the old manager. never in my 60 plus years of dining have I experienced a more horrible table of what was supposed to be food! I will never visit the Manna Restaurant again as long as I live and I strongly suggest that if you ever visit this place that you smell each piece of supposedly fresh seafood at the counter in front before you buy anything for them to cook for you! I have never been sicker in my life nor more disgusted with the management of any business than I am today! Shrimp, squid and the chunks of shrimp in the Guisado was all very old and spoiled. Not just a little spoiled, Think "at the bottom of the garbage can for a week spoiled!" No cook could have possible missed this terrible odor!

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MannaSTK, Owner at Manna STK Food House, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincerest apologies. What you described is indeed a horrible experience and should not be tolerated.

Manna STK Food House is now currently under new Management since May of 2013.

If you can find it in your heart and give us a chance, we would really like to make it up to you.

Please Contact us at MannaStk@gmail.com.

Mabuhay!

“Perfect for seafood lovers!:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

Amazingly fresh seafoods!! So incredibly delicioussssss:) u must visit this place if u happen to go to lapulapu shrine:)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We strive to give our guest the best experience we can offer.

Hope to see you again in your future travels!

Lapu Lapu
“Fresh seafood prepared to your specifications”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Manna is located in Mactan Shrine. The restaurant is adjacent to a popular park that features a statue of Chief Lapu Lapu (who killed Magellan in the 1500s) as well as a monument to Magellan. Next to the park is a parking lot that is ringed by several stalls manned by vendors selling cheap sandals, bracelets, hats, and other touristy items. After parking (or arriving by taxi) a number of restaurant touts will solicit your business for the various restaurants in Mactan Shrine. If you confidently say "Manna" it's likely that the tout from Manna will offer to show you the way and the others will fall back, although someone from each restaurant you pass will encourage you to come in. Just ignore them; they're harmless. In any event,if the Manna tout doesn't happen to be there, follow the path on the left leading out of the parking lot. Walk past the stalls of vendors and turn right when the path dead-ends. Manna is the last restaurant you'll come to after you turn right.

Manna is a Sutukil restaurant, meaning you pick the food and tell them how you want it prepared (grilled, baked, fried, with garlic or in a sauce, etc.). The seafood is very fresh, my primary reason for eating at Manna. The fish (lapu lapu, which I think is a kind of grouper, is the most popular) is sitting on a bed of ice; you point to the one you want and tell them how to prepare it (grilled with a sweet-sour sauce is a local favorite for the lapu lapu). They weigh it and charge you by the kilo. Also on the table at the entrance are buckets of shrimp and prawns, scallops, oysters, and other seafood items. A section of the table is filled with crabs, still alive and not happy to be bound in string. Again, after you pick the crab you can ask for it to be prepared in chili sauce (my favorite), or as crab relleno, or whatever you like. (Somewhere on the premises is a laminated menu listing all the various options for preparing your order.) They also have vegetables that can be prepared in different ways (chop suey is popular).

After you order, they take you to your table. They have seating upstairs and downstairs overlooking the water. I prefer to eat upstairs where the view is better. Also, if it's low tide, the upstairs tends to avoid the unpleasant odors that are sometimes present. Once you pick your table, you can order rice and drinks. They have the typical range of soft drinks, mango shakes, juices, San Miguel beer and a few bottles of undistinguished wine.

The place isn't fancy (they don't give you a crab cracker or those tiny little crab forks you'd get at an American seafood place so be prepared to bust the crab apart with your hands) but the food is extremely fresh and tasty. It's a little more expensive than typical Philippine restaurants but significantly less than you would pay for comparable food in an American restaurant. Service is surprisingly prompt, much more efficient than is standard in the Philippines, and the waitstaff has always been very friendly to me.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for that thorough review. The restaurant is currently being renovated and is under new management to further enhance your experience.

Hope to see you again in your future travels.