“Needs renovation” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 31 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Needs renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location of this hotel is near the Mactan Airport. The linens are clean but the room itself needs a renovation. Molds are at the ceiling of the room, some small powdery particles are dropping already and there are some insects inside the room. Bathroom has molds at the ceiling too, hot water is working and they provide towels, soap and shampoo. Bed is comfortable but the pillow is not. Generally I can consider this hotel again if they renovated the rooms already.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

When we checked-in at 11am, they said we have to pay extra if we wanted to get our room right away since check-in time is 2pm so we decided to leave our luggage with the front desk & go out first. The front desk offered to deliver our luggage to the room once it was ready but after we got back to the hotel around 8pm, our luggage was still at the front desk area.

When we got to the room, only 1 out of the 5 light bulbs was working in the room. There were a lot of mold spots on the ceiling, cobwebs on the lamp & the bathroom has dead insects on the floor. When I called reception to ask if we can transfer to another room, the front desk agent said there are no other rooms & their standard of cleaning the rooms are all the same (without even checking if the room really was not cleaned properly). There were also a lot of mosquitoes in the room.

Room Tip: Don't bother making any requests since they don't accommodate any at all.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked for this hotel because the last time I went to Cebu I saw this while on our way to Bantayan Islands. The hotel looks good (it does, same as what is seen on their site) and the rooms are clean. Unfortunately though they don't have a back up plan in cases of emergencies. They have been operating for three years now and yet they never bought a generator. We arrived last Sunday around 12 noon and a notice was given to all guests that there will be power outage in the area that would last till 5pm that day. We wanted to have an early check in to have some rest. Because we came from Bohol trip. So even if there's electricity we stayed at the room, but not for long we have to go out by 2pm due to the lack of electricity on the hotel. We decided to go to mall and wait till 5pm so we can have the rest we need. But come 5pm we went back still no electricity.... establishment nearby have been prepared for this so they all have their generator operated power. I was a bit ashamed of the situation as I recommended this hotel to them, due to the vicinity that we can have a long rest and no need to wake up early since the airport is just nearby. I already asked for an update by 6pm since there's no power yet, its almost 7pm when i decided I want to talk to the manager, and then I discovered that there's no manager at that point. It's an emergency situation that they've known of, thus having the letter of advise of the power outage. They never planned for a business continuity for that incident. The staff are left out to talk to the guests. Thanks to the staff (not the manager) for having the initiative to let us move into another place. It was past 8pm when we finally got transferred to other branch which is way too far from the other branch.
I hope the area manager Lisa will really do something about the generator. And the Front Officer that don't want to talk to me and making the staff talk to me be reminded that it's his duty to handle this kind of situation (and to stress this out, both of them are not in the hotel... they are elsewhere). Kudos to Sheena, the staff that represented the hotel due to lack of "management" people, for coordinating all the transfers that night and talking to the managers (which is again stressing this one out, not there to back up their staff). People or tourists avail hotels for comfort and relaxation. We had a very late sleep, and we have to wake up early since it's Monday there will be traffic, so as not to be late to our flight. I hope when I get back to Cebu (but not staying on any of their hotels anymore), they already have purchased a generator and I hope the management would think about more of having the business continuity on emergency cases. Foreseen or not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fukuoka, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We needed an overnight stay for an early morning flight out of Cebu. We were told about the Islands Stay by a friend.

My wife booked over the phone, but she might have been talking to Donwtown Cebu rather than Mactan as there was some confusion about our booking. Anyway, they found a room for us. It was an internal room with no windows. It was very basic with a standard double bed, small bedside table, TV on a small shelf on the wall. The bathroom was quite large by comparison.

One wall was bright lime green, the others white.The overall size of the room was only about 10 ft * 12 ft if that. Quite claustrophobic without any windows. I guess if we had asked we might have got another room, but as it was only the one night, we didn't bother.

There is no elevator, and wifi was quite weak in our 2nd floor room. Cold water was available for a cost from a small fridge in the lobby.

We ate downstairs in the pork specialist restaurant, quite acceptable. The advertising sign features Anthony Bourdain saying it is the best pork ever. Don't know about that. There are plenty of eating options in the near vicinity.

No breakfast was offered, so we had something at the airport. A taxi was waiting outside at 5am, it was about PHP70 to the airport.

In summary, plain, cheap and close to Mactan airport. We paid about PHP1400/night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here because it was close to the yacht club. The rooms looked fine but the light fixtures in our room barely worked. I had to call the front desk a couple of times to have it fixed. The service was awesome as all the crew were attentive and accommodating. I think they need a bit more soundproofing because we could hear the people passing by outside our door. Saw a big rat running by too. Over all, the rooms were too expensive for the quality of facilities that they had to offer.

Room Tip: All rooms should have a big bean bag. I asked for one on my second stay because the first room that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bohol Island, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at Mactan on Feb. 6. Disappointed for:

1.I had upgraded my booking from small room to medium room long before I left for Cebu. They told me that other than room rate difference, rebooking fee was charged. I had argued with them on theisr FB AND EMAIL, and then they admitted that it was a mistake, No rebooking fee would be charged. BUT, when i arrived, the receptionist told me there was a rebooking fee. What a surprise! I didn't pay rebooking because I told the receptionist the whole story. But, I felt terrible for such kind of service! My first day in the Philippines! What a long day.

2. The receptionist asked me to fill out a form WHEN I checked in. DO you guys know what are the computers for? All my detailed data are in the computer!!!!! Why do u ask customers to fill out a form when checking in? U could print it out in advance! All I need to do is sign my name. What if I COULD NOT read or write in ENGLISH? So I do not entitle to stay at your Hotels?

3.The medium room I stay has no window, TV has noly few channels (not function well). Aside from the double bed, a small table, there is nothing! NO hangers, no closet, worse than 300 Peso B&B!!!!!

Dissappointed Sean from Taiwan

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked a deluxe room for 2 nights here is Island Stay. We arrived at around 10:30am in the hotel and we were not allowed for early check-in. We were advised that we need to pay an extra charge for early check-in so we just stayed in Zubo Chon restaurant in their lobby while waiting. At around 12PM, they allowed us to stay in our room for no extra charge :)

ROOM
- Clean
- With thin comforter (thumbs up!)
- Pillows (thumbs down!)
- Bed is average. If you are choosy with bed, i can say it's not comfortable.
- TV with cable (thumbs up!)
- Wifi Connection is good (thumbs up!)
- Good airconditioning
- No window (thumbs down!)

Overall Room rating: Average. Downside, you can hear the cars passing in the road and the noise in the other rooms. Although you have an option to choose another room :)

COMFORT ROOM
- big comfort room (thumbs up!)
- nice and big shower head (thumbs up!)
- hot water (thumbs down!) I think the hot water is centralized so you cannot control the water temperature.
- Toiletries (small soap, 1 sachet of shampoo, 2 cotton buds)
- 2 bath towels
- 1 roll of tissue
- No bidet

Overall Comfort room rating: Very Good (Two thumbs up!).

LOCATION
- 2-3 minutes away from the airport. (It's true!). You can walk from the airport to the hotel if you want. Lol :)
- Near Savemore, Drugstore, Mang-Inasal and other restaurants
- Very accessible
- Zubo Chon restaurant is located in their lobby.
- Far from Fuente Osmena (3 jeepney rides away or 1 taxi for around Php 220)

CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Accomodating. You can ask them directions and if you choose to take jeepneys, they will help you :)
- Reception area (too small)

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
It's my first time to stay in Mactan so I can't compare the other hotels with Island Stay. But based from my experience, I think It is a good value for money considering the price, location and the room they are offering.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 205 - no window. You have an option to stay in Room 204, with window but noisy coz th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Islands Stay Hotels Mactan? Share your experiences!