“Awful! Bad service! Maybe I just expect too much.” 1 of 5 stars

Islands Stay Hotels Mactan
M.L. Quezon Highway, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines   |
Ranked #19 of 24 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Bohol Island, Philippines
“Awful! Bad service! Maybe I just expect too much.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at Mactan on Feb. 6. Disappointed for:

1.I had upgraded my booking from small room to medium room long before I left for Cebu. They told me that other than room rate difference, rebooking fee was charged. I had argued with them on theisr FB AND EMAIL, and then they admitted that it was a mistake, No rebooking fee would be charged. BUT, when i arrived, the receptionist told me there was a rebooking fee. What a surprise! I didn't pay rebooking because I told the receptionist the whole story. But, I felt terrible for such kind of service! My first day in the Philippines! What a long day.

2. The receptionist asked me to fill out a form WHEN I checked in. DO you guys know what are the computers for? All my detailed data are in the computer!!!!! Why do u ask customers to fill out a form when checking in? U could print it out in advance! All I need to do is sign my name. What if I COULD NOT read or write in ENGLISH? So I do not entitle to stay at your Hotels?

3.The medium room I stay has no window, TV has noly few channels (not function well). Aside from the double bed, a small table, there is nothing! NO hangers, no closet, worse than 300 Peso B&B!!!!!

Dissappointed Sean from Taiwan

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked a deluxe room for 2 nights here is Island Stay. We arrived at around 10:30am in the hotel and we were not allowed for early check-in. We were advised that we need to pay an extra charge for early check-in so we just stayed in Zubo Chon restaurant in their lobby while waiting. At around 12PM, they allowed us to stay in our room for no extra charge :)

ROOM
- Clean
- With thin comforter (thumbs up!)
- Pillows (thumbs down!)
- Bed is average. If you are choosy with bed, i can say it's not comfortable.
- TV with cable (thumbs up!)
- Wifi Connection is good (thumbs up!)
- Good airconditioning
- No window (thumbs down!)

Overall Room rating: Average. Downside, you can hear the cars passing in the road and the noise in the other rooms. Although you have an option to choose another room :)

COMFORT ROOM
- big comfort room (thumbs up!)
- nice and big shower head (thumbs up!)
- hot water (thumbs down!) I think the hot water is centralized so you cannot control the water temperature.
- Toiletries (small soap, 1 sachet of shampoo, 2 cotton buds)
- 2 bath towels
- 1 roll of tissue
- No bidet

Overall Comfort room rating: Very Good (Two thumbs up!).

LOCATION
- 2-3 minutes away from the airport. (It's true!). You can walk from the airport to the hotel if you want. Lol :)
- Near Savemore, Drugstore, Mang-Inasal and other restaurants
- Very accessible
- Zubo Chon restaurant is located in their lobby.
- Far from Fuente Osmena (3 jeepney rides away or 1 taxi for around Php 220)

CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Accomodating. You can ask them directions and if you choose to take jeepneys, they will help you :)
- Reception area (too small)

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:
It's my first time to stay in Mactan so I can't compare the other hotels with Island Stay. But based from my experience, I think It is a good value for money considering the price, location and the room they are offering.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 205 - no window. You have an option to stay in Room 204, with window but noisy coz th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed there for just a few hours after a late flight from Hong Kong / before an early flight to Dumaguete.
The rooms look much, much more aged (and less clean) in reality than on the pictures. So do not expect a trendy design hotel, but more a motel that tries hard, but does not necessarily succeed.
But if you need just a stay for a night next to the airport, it is absolutely fine for that - very well located (100PHP to and from the airport), it is just 5 min away and it was no problem at all to get a cab at 4.30am in the morning.
On the other hand I would never consider this as a base for a vacation

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

As part of our stay in Cebu Mactan Island, we chose the Island Stay Hotel given the nice prices we paid. Since this was going to be a budget stay, we didn't expected too much from our stay experience.

Located within 5 minutes driving distance from the airport, Island Stay Hotel had a nice location in Lapu Lapu City. There were a couple of eateries and supermarket opposite the hotel. The Cebu Yacht Club was within walking distance too. It gave us a chance to get near the waters even if we are not hitting the beach.

Our room at ground level was spacious as we selected a large room. There were 2 big beds, a small TV, a separate kitchen tap and a working air-conditioning. There were a couple of small insects in our room. It was very quiet though since it faced the car porch and away from the busy road. After our fantastic stay in Manila, it was back to basics in Cebu. The staffs were generally pleasant but not too helpful on some occasions. Room requests were responded quickly though.

Given the low prices we paid for our stay, this was an OK experience for us. There was nothing to rave about. I've stayed in worse places before. Island Stay Hotel in comparsion was average, basic accomodation to end our Philippines trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you are not prepared to take the stairs. Also, away from the m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Suffern, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Last year I gave this place 5 stars for budget accommodation's in Mactan. A year later there are still some great things going for this hotel but also some issues as well. I can not speak about the smaller rooms but their deluxe rooms are nice and big.

The rooms are clean... the staff friendly and the location can't be beat. Walking distance to the Marina mall and several restaurants and located on the main drag, minutes to the airport or new bridge into Cebu. The televisions have excellent cable and many English channels including movie channels like HBO and Stars etc..

The issues I had were simple things that should have been addressed but were not. My room was not cleaned on several occasions when I left the key with the desk and clearly was leaving for the day. I specifically had to ask the desk to clean the room each and every time that was done.

The Wifi Internet was down for over a week and a half. As a business traveler this is just not acceptable and it did not seem to be a priority to the staff either. However once it was fixed, the speed and the signal were both great.

The seal between the aircon and the wall was non existent and the large gap allowed mosquito's, a lizard and other beasties into my room. Some silicone calk would have been a wise option here. This is a problem in all of the rooms.

The beds kinda suck. Medium thickness foam doesn't cut it for some of us with larger frame's.

Overall still one of the best values on Mactan. Just wish they would take care of those little things.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bacoor, Cavite, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

me and my bf are leaving to manila at 440PM when we decided to hit SM Mall in mandaue we plan to leave the mall at 4PM since that is my 3rd time in cebu i was ok with it but unfortunately we stuck on a trafic so we end up staying in islands stay for our flight tomrrow morning since it is near the airport and we can't be late anymore

the room they only have was this deluxe room that is too narrow for two person and good thing we don't have any proble with small spaces. it has a TV with cable and the room is with aircon good thing cause they room don't have any window/s.

- the night light is not working.
-bathroom is not well clean
-don't have any "tabo"
-the room paint will plain white that's scary me a bit :(
-aside the reception is a resto, good thing they have a resto cause the place it a bit far from any food service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gimhae, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed single room of that hotel for 1 night, for the next day, I take the first departing Oceanjet for Bohol. Just next to the Marina mall Mactan, It is very near from the airport.

Positives
1. Cheap price - one room for one night, single traveler, it costs only 950PHP
2. Clean comfortable room - decor with bright color - white, the room looks clean, but has cable TV, air-conditioner, phone, and free WIFI-even I do not use that..;)

Negatives
1. Toilet/Shower room is not perfectly sealed - it has sliding door, so smell-sensitive person like me, can feel bad smell inside the room.
2. If you are taller than 175cm - that's my height -, choose another hotel. I guess the length of the bed is only about 180cm, no extra space- I do not check other rooms, so It may the small room's problem only-.
3. There is no elevator.

Anyway, This hotel is my second best budget hotel in Cebu. If you arrive Cebu in night time, finding only one night staying hotel, this is yours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Islands Stay Hotels Mactan? Share your experiences!