“Finally! A great hotel near the Mactan Airport!” 4 of 5 stars

Islands Stay Hotels Mactan
M.L. Quezon Highway, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines   |
Ranked #28 of 37 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“Finally! A great hotel near the Mactan Airport!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I've been hearing the buzz about Islands Stay Hotel, Island's Group hotel chain. We had a quick stop-over in Cebu, so quick it was just about 9 hours.

We chose to stay in Islands Stay Mactan, one of the 2 Islands hotel in Cebu. We were to leave at 5 AM so we needed a place near the airport.

I made my reservation via their mobile phone and helpful Islands' lady Ms. Queenie booked our rooms and a vehicle for our early morning flight. This hotel is SO convenient for travellers. Yey! Another YEY, they offer discounts to unsuspecting guests!

Unlike other hotels, Islands Mactan has a no non-sense reception. Some may find it bare but the warm Cebuana smile of the receptionist was enough to fill the many spaces. I got the Small (solo) room by the roadside and my companions, the twin rooms. The hallways and the rooms were stark white with splashes of orange and green. It was a refreshing sight for a hotel! The rooms got the modern day basics: cable TV, WiFi (but my room didn't have that time) and of course, a bottle of water! The bathroom fixtures are pretty modern.

No big closet to put your few clothes in, just a few hangers were available. I was just kinda missing 2 things. One, a table to put my stuff on. I had nowhere to put my laptop (was using it for "work" hehe). I was also charging my mobile phone and my iPad and had nowhere to put them on, but on my bed. It was cool because I'm tiny and their bed offers a lot of space.

Two, their faucet was a bit too big for the water basin. I had to put my face to the side of the faucet as I was washing it or while I was brushing my teeth. You know what I mean? I couldn't put right in front of the faucet.

My stay in the hotel was a total of 6 hours only. Dead tired, even as the hotel is situated at the junction of M.L. Quezon Highway, Islands Stay Hotel-Mactan was all I needed for a good night's sleep. We grabbed our breakfast at the airport already, there was no cafe or restaurant there yet but I heard they will be putting up food stations there.

Look them up at www.islandsstay.com. I reached them at (032) 239 5456 or 0917 622 4690.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not by the roadside. The hotel is centrally located in this junction where v...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
deadcat12
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Worst hotel ever...
The room was very dirty, I can't believe they don't even try to renovate the rooms!
It's too dirty to let customers stay in.
so much worse than any other guesthouses in South East Asia.

We will never go back there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
IslandsGroup, Manager at Islands Stay Hotels Mactan, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Good day,

Sunny greetings from Islands Stay Hotels!

You must be talking about another hotel since we just opened in June 2011 after months of renovation and our rooms are literally brand new. This is evident in the pictures taken by our hotel guests and posted here on TripAdvisor (please view pictures taken by TripAdvisor reviewers of our hotel).

In this regard, we're so sorry you had a terrible stay! That's we make sure to focus on design when it comes to our hotels. We invite you to try Islands Stay instead the next time in Cebu. You just might like it. :)
QC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

All I can say is this: if 'to travel / visit / explore' is your purpose why you're in Cebu, you practically do not need a very luxurious room since you would almost always be off the hotel and enjoy. But it does not mean that you wouldn't be so careful in choosing where to stay for the night. Islands Stay Hotels in Mactan is really one of the awesome decisions I made for travels, given that I never knew anyone who stayed there (though an office mate mentioned that it is NEW) and I have never been to Cebu ever.

Very neat - the fact that they intentionally painted the whole (generally) thing with white complementing with the white flooring which could suggest that guests are very welcome to notice any dirty marks. But guess what - you would only find your own foot wear making ugly marks on their floor all over.

Friendly staff - during our stay I only see them during sunrise and sunset, consistently they were all smiles. I myself admit that I am a nosy customer asking questions, and if you aren't patient enough especially about directions you would leave me behind for your own peace.

Necessities - running hot/cold water at the bathing room, toiletries limited to soap, shampoo & ear buds, & a nice body towel. Honestly I was expecting for a pair of toothbrush and a tiny toothpaste that goes with it, but maybe I just got used to the Manila Peninsula, I dunno. Moving on, they got a freezer behind (and along) the reception area where we had our CnT lechons placed overnight. Heavy duty aircon works perfectly, cable tv, and one thing I am so particular with is the bed comforter - I just love it.

The cost - just enough. Had a medium room exactly right for my husband & I for two nights stay.

Accessibility - near the airport, Crimson Beach Hotel & Spa & other historic spots. But we had a hard time going back from the city but it isn't the hotel's doing of course.

All in all, I give this hotel a 4. Customer service played a very crucial part - from the reservation (via e-mails and text messaging are all acknowledged, no hassle) to our arrival, until we left - is outstanding. Surely I will recommend this one to the people I care for and those who care for themselves, maybe somebody like you caring to read this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Me and my family stayed at the Island stay mactan for 2 nights last late Sept 2011. We are a total of 6 people in 2 rooms.

When we got there the first thing I noticed was the pain smell in the reception lobby. It was so strong it hurts my nose :) and the closed air conditioned lobby didn't help as the smell was contained inside.

Our reservation was flawless and their reservation team were very accommodating with the few changes we had to make before our arrival. We were charged for 950 php a night per room but when we checked in they told us that it was 1,600 (their new rate) per night per room. This has been rectified though when I explained to them what has been discussed over the email and what rate has been offered to us but I felt that this is something that should be noted in our records.

The rooms are spacious , clean and has a modern feel to it. There is mini kitchen sink and the toilet is of a decent size.

The staff is what makes our stay even better, they are all always smiling, from the security to the reception to the cleaners. Nothing is too much trouble for them, they helped us communicating when we had to seam my partner's trouser for the wedding we will attend to. They picked it up for us and we were charged a local price of 30 php for the service.

There are minor flaws but this did not bothered us at all. It's kind of far from the city if that's what you are after but there are places to eat nearby. The only thing we wish they provide are, smoking area and ashtrays (smoking is not allowed in the room so we had to improvise our own ashtray when we smoke just outside our room).

As the resort is very close to the airport an airport service will be a nice touch.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this to someone who wants to be near the airport but if you want to be close the city for night life then this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed in a large room. The price was very good (950PHP = $23) and the hotel is brand new. The problem is that the walls are riddled with holes. I have never seen such a sloppy renovation job in my life. Naturally, ants and bugs have colonized these spaces. As is usually the case in the tropics, some ants are not your petite and polite European ants - they are large, scary and love human skin! There is a mini kitchen with only a sink and empty cabinets. It serves no purpose besides providing more holes for the ants. The shower and toilet are good.The air conditioner is noisy and there is only a thin white curtain that doesn't block sunlight. The location is also odd. It is on a main avenue and the only attraction is a mini shopping centre with a supermarket and some restaurants. I don't recommend this branch of Island Stay. I moved to the uptown branch of the same chain in Cebu City and it was much better!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Hi, its Joe, i stayed in your hotel last Sept. At first I thought the price is too high but when the front office guy showed me the rooms and told the amenities, dude its fantastic even no breakfast included. Mall and coffee shop is just walking distance and the airport is near from the hotel also. Rooms are very new and hip, colors are very nice too. great concept, staff are very accommodating, friendly and helpful. Got some friends coming from the State every other months. I will surely recommend this to them. They should experienced it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Very big room that house 2 double bed and still plenty of space to move around. Everything is new, simple and clean. The water pressure is strong. Free WiFi and cable LCD TV in the room. You may leave the air-con or charger on when you leave the room as the electric power is always available. This hotel has only 2 storey during my stay but heard from one stuff that other new room coming soon at the main building above the reception counter. The problem of the room was that the window can be see through at both side of glass, if you didn't lower down the curtain, any passer-by can view into your room. No breakfast. Very near to Mactan Marina mall and the airport.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Islands Stay Hotels Mactan? Share your experiences!