Our expectations were high for this resort, given the price and the online reviews. However, the hotel did not quite live up to the expectations.
The main issues for us were that the beach is manmade, very small and quite terrible. Also, you are not allowed to use the beach after 5pm, as apparently there are strong currents at night. I wasn't aware currents were affected by daylight! As other reviews have mentioned the pool is rather small and shallow - even the adult pool. This means the water gets quite warm, so you can't take a dip to cool off.
There were some other smaller issues, such as both days our room was serviced, they didn't leave us any towels. To be fair, they were brought very quickly when we called, but it would seem to be a difficult mistake to make twice. Also, the main restaurant is a little too small for the number of guests, so was very crowded at breakfast. Overcrowding seems to be a theme, as when I ordered lunch from one of the other restaurants, I waited 45 minutes for some simple fried chicken. I eventually cancelled the order and was told that the delay was due to the fact that the kitchen was too busy to cope with the number of orders.
The hotel offers a number of activities such as snorkelling, island hopping and sunset cruises. We tried the latter and were disappointed. The advertising material made it sound like a luxurious cruise with drinks being served. In reality, we got a packet of chips and a can of Sprite. There was nothing else on offer - even if we were prepared to pay. I feel the cruise was overpriced for what it was.
On the plus side, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially the waiting staff at the pool bar. They took care of us really well and made some excellent recommendations for nearby dinner options.
The rooms themselves are very nice, spacious and clean - although our aircon was a bit noisy and our hot water was tepid at best.
Overall, the service from the staff was the best part of this hotel, which is fortunate as if it wasn't for them then I have to say the rating given would have been "Poor" rather than "Average"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Synonymous with luxury and personalized service, Crimson Resort and Spa is the new destination and resort to experience. Nestled in one of the country's most prestigious tourist destinations, this exclusive piece of paradise is just 15 minutes away from the Mactan International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de and Jetsetter so you can book your Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crimson Resort And Spa, Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Crimson Resort And Spa, Mactan Cebu Island/Mactan Island