“Ok, but some areas for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Save Saved
You added Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan to your Saves list
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Seascapes Resort Town | Mactan Island, Lapu Lapu 6015, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore
“Ok, but some areas for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our expectations were high for this resort, given the price and the online reviews. However, the hotel did not quite live up to the expectations.

The main issues for us were that the beach is manmade, very small and quite terrible. Also, you are not allowed to use the beach after 5pm, as apparently there are strong currents at night. I wasn't aware currents were affected by daylight! As other reviews have mentioned the pool is rather small and shallow - even the adult pool. This means the water gets quite warm, so you can't take a dip to cool off.

There were some other smaller issues, such as both days our room was serviced, they didn't leave us any towels. To be fair, they were brought very quickly when we called, but it would seem to be a difficult mistake to make twice. Also, the main restaurant is a little too small for the number of guests, so was very crowded at breakfast. Overcrowding seems to be a theme, as when I ordered lunch from one of the other restaurants, I waited 45 minutes for some simple fried chicken. I eventually cancelled the order and was told that the delay was due to the fact that the kitchen was too busy to cope with the number of orders.

The hotel offers a number of activities such as snorkelling, island hopping and sunset cruises. We tried the latter and were disappointed. The advertising material made it sound like a luxurious cruise with drinks being served. In reality, we got a packet of chips and a can of Sprite. There was nothing else on offer - even if we were prepared to pay. I feel the cruise was overpriced for what it was.

On the plus side, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially the waiting staff at the pool bar. They took care of us really well and made some excellent recommendations for nearby dinner options.

The rooms themselves are very nice, spacious and clean - although our aircon was a bit noisy and our hot water was tepid at best.

Overall, the service from the staff was the best part of this hotel, which is fortunate as if it wasn't for them then I have to say the rating given would have been "Poor" rather than "Average"

Room Tip: Rooms are chalet style, so if you don't want to walk far, ask for a room near the centre.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

First, I would like to apologize if there was any misunderstanding. Our beach is open until 6pm which is for safety reasons since the sun usually sets at that time making the area dark and unsafe for swimmers.

In the matter of our staff forgetting to leave towels in your room rest assured I have tasked our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this does not happen again.

Admittedly, overcrowding is a challenge for us especially during high occupancy however we are in the process of improving our facilities which would also improve our services thereby addressing this issue altogether.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again to our resort in the not too distant future.

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed in a Pool Villa on May 2013. It was a very hot day when we arrived and was immediately ushered to the reception. However, after showing my voucher, we were ushered again to the other end of the hallway because the check in counter for Villa's is different. Supposedly much special because you will be offered to sit while they process your stay, I didn't think it mattered much. The hassle of having to walk to the other end where it was much hotter with no ceiling fan or any wind ventilation was an instant turn off. Better show your voucher as soon as you disembark from the vehicle so they can bring you to the correct reception counter.

The Pool Villa was spacious and clean. Beautiful design and accessories. However, the pool is enclosed with no view and not a single plant to soften the concrete walls.

Bathroom shower enclosure was not doing its purpose. Water was spilling out the side of the glass door creating a puddle on the floor... and I hate wet bathroom floors.

Main swimming pool of the resort wasn't anything special. Just a plain rectangular pool. Boring. If you have kids I would highly recommend the Imperial Palace or Shangri-la.

The bar beside the pool have poor menu selection. However, breakfast was delicious with a wide selection. Overall it was average. We only tried this resort out of curiosity.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PickyTraveller555,

I have noted your concerns and I apologize that you were inconvenienced during your stay in our resort. Rest assured that we are in the process of improving the check in experience for our villa guests to lessen the confusion as to where to go upon arrival. We have also fixed the bathroom shower enclosures to prevent puddles in the future.

Our Executive Chef is delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and has improved the menu selection of our Azure Bar since your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Came home to have a short vacation in Cebu to visit family and friends. We picked Crimson as our first resort to try out during our stint. Arrived at the place around 130 am, I must say the staff were very courteous and polite. The room we got was pretty comfortable. However, the bathroom was small (we felt like the sink was too low too). The landscaping and the construction of the resort was well done. The beach shore is not that wide and had a lot of seaweeds but the pool is beautifully designed (it was really warm during our visit, must be the weather). The breakfast buffet was ok. I noticed they were pretty understaffed because we could not have gotten our coffee if we didn't remind our server. Gym was well maintained and clean. The staff had games and activities for the guests to have fun with. Overall, I would stay here again. The security is pretty tight and the area is secluded from the main road (there is no visible sign from there which was really hard to find if you don't know the area). I would also suggest they make it "wheelchair friendly" I couldn't find any ramp for wheelchairs from the lobby nor towards the room entrance. The resort's main assets are the employees; they are sincere and polite to all the guests (even the gardeners greeted us). I'd rather them just smile and greet the guests (no "bow" gestures needed). Keep it up and make sure to take care of your employees!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Bugmei10,

I shall look forward to your next visit to our resort. We are glad that you found our staff courteous and polite, our room comfortable, our landscaping well done and our gym well maintained and clean.

I have also noted your concerns such as having a visible sign which we are happy to say is in the process of being erected at the street corner, a very visible area to show our guests where to turn from the main street. As to being wheelchair friendly, rest assured that we do have ramps near our outlets and we also have designated rooms for our guests with disabilities which are wheelchair accessible.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here again recently - this time for work. Food is pretty good, but the pool is ordinary, the beach has very coarse sand (man-made beach possibly). there's a pontoon so you can get out into the water - but they pump water from their laundry into the ocean! Once again, the place was packed with tour groups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, October 22, 2013

I regret that you experienced dissatisfaction during your stay with us. Rest assured that I have noted your comments and took necessary actions to ensure that similar incidents will not happen in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our resort soon.

James
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've been to Mactan thrice for summer vacation in the last five years, but it was my first time to stay in Crimson. This is an excellent resort choice for families since their three pools are only 2-, 3- and 4-feet deep. They have a kids' activity zone with very friendly "babysitters" so kids can take a breather from the scorching sun and play indoors, while parents take a breather from their kids and enjoy the beach.

The rooms are comfortable, well-designed, well-appointed and well-maintained. The beachfront is quite small, but kept very clean. Located within a gated community, the resort is peaceful, quiet, and conducive for R&R. It's hard to get a taxi to get out of Crimson, but the resort offers a free shuttle to and from Cebu City anyway. I like that Crimson has a clinic open 24/7, and I appreciated management's efforts to further engage stay-in guests with free activities such as snorkeling lessons, sailing camps, fish feeding, and even water Zumba. I could tell during my stay that Crimson really strives to offer the best possible service for their customers, but they could still use some work in that area.

The people were nice, sure. During our stay, however, it was close to impossible to reach any of their departments over the phone. Their lines would either just keep ringing, or would always be busy. Also -- their restaurant tends to get crowded during breakfast peak hours. The waitresses in that restaurant need to improve on 'crowd control.' It would also help if they can usher you into the restaurant ONLY when they've found you a table, instead of having customers walk around with them aimlessly until a table is found.

I haven't had a chance to visit Shangri-la Mactan yet, but I have stayed in Moevenpick twice before. Between Moevenpick and Crimson, the latter would be your best bet for the ultimate summer (family) getaway in Mactan.

Room Tip: For those traveling with kids, try to request for a room near the pool area/Crimzone.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Paulaxgianna,

I am happy that you chose our resort to be your ultimate family getaway in Mactan. We are grateful that you appreciated our efforts to provide more activities for our guests and we are still in the process of adding more activities.

Rest assured that I have noted your concern with regards to the crowd during breakfast and we are currently looking into making the experience better for our guests. Also, I have already addressed your concern with regards to not being able to reach any of our departments on the phone.

No Fixed Address
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Back again and was blown away again. Love the water aerobics. Found them more engaging this time around and was happy to see a nice note outside my door every morning stating what I could look forward to all day. I hope to be back to cebu

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Seraglios,

It was an absolute delight to have you back in our resort. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed our water aerobics which you found to be engaging.

Also, we are glad that you noticed our morning note which we have recently started to inform our guests of the day’s activities.

Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This resort is far from the city center but near the airport. I like their customer-oriented service and the room is always clean and arranged every time we go back to the room from outside activities. Breakfast is very good, they cater Filipino foods for Filipino tourists, not only for foreign tourists. Beach area is kinda small and rocky but the whole landscape made the resort beautiful. Although it's difficult to get a taxi from the resort, so you need to use their taxi service or their scheduled shuttle service. Overall, I will recommend this resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nesty_08,

I am glad that you enjoyed our customer-oriented service, clean room, and good breakfast during your stay. I will pass along your excellent comments to the rest of my team to inspire them to strive harder in maintaining our standards.

Area General Manager

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!