“Back again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Omaha, Nebraska
“Back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have stayed at SotoGrande several times over the past few years and have always found it to be a good hotel.

It is on Lapu-Lapu Island which is not on Cebu Island. You have to cross the bridge past the airport to get to Cebu.

The hotel is in a SAFE and quiet area. Taxi drivers need to present their ID's to the guards to gain entrance and they are monitored. You will be safe here and will have zero concerns about your safety. Once you leave the area and go past the guards, it's a different world out there.

Depending on the room you select, the amenities will differ. The suite is a large 2-room space. It comes with a basic refrigerator and air conditioning in each room. On this trip, I had to change rooms because the AC wasn't working properly and after failed attempts to fix it, I elected to change rooms to a smaller room.

The suite has a dining table and plenty of room to lounge around.

My chief complaint is that there is only 1 television in the suite and it is in the Living Room. For a person that has been on an airplane for 23+ hours, sitting in a chair to watch TV, while fighting jet-lag isn't very appealing. I would rather watch TV from the bed, where I can relax and allow my body to adjust to the time zone changes.

The bathroom was fine. Water pressure is good and everything works.

The staff at the SotoGrande Hotel is one of the friendliest and most caring staff that I've ever met. I travel around the world for my job and have stayed in hundreds of hotels. The staff at SotoGrande are in my top 3 hotel staffs. They are courteous. They are prompt. They really try.

Many of the staff are young and doing internships or working at SotoGrande as their first job. They welcomed my family as if we were long, lost relatives. They talk with you and will tell you what you need to know about the area.

The bellmen and restaurant staff are some of my favorite people. Always smiling and available to help.

The restaurant can be a challenge for some palates because they are expected to cook food that appeals to people from all around the world. In the hotel lobby you will find Koreans, Japanese, Australians, Americans, Europeans and a mix of other people from various backgrounds. The chef can't please every palate so what may be acceptable to me, may not be so acceptable to other people.

The hotel is due for an update so that is why I give it 4-stars instead of 5. They need to change the room decor and spruce up the faucets and other small details.

Do take advantage of the pools for La Mirada and also Soto Grande which is the condominiums next door.

There is a banquet hall that has a great pool and an even better buffet at night. Check it out. There is music and entertainment.

There is a basketball court and the staff will play. The beach is right on the property and very clean and safe.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Oulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at soto with 2 kids. Rooms are rather basic and minor minus about the aperture between balcony door and frame that allows air to flow to room and bang room door audibly in the night time.

Staff is great, very friendly and they look after your needs well. Breakfast buffet is also good, although pretty much the same from morning to morning. Nice plus was to see staff members singing along morning tv show in lobby (good performances and great singers..). You are really the voice of Philippines, great start for a day, many thanks.

Resort is basically a combination of three hotels (soto, la mirada and casa mar) and pools etc. are available for all guests. Pools are great and beach is kept in very clean condition timely. WiFi is available but it does not work in room, mainly in lobby area - who needs this on vacation anyway :)

In total, everything worked fine. No luxury, but staff friendliness, nice pools and good breakfast speak for themselves.

Room Tip: Go breakfast early to avoid possible big Korean groups. If room door is banging due to air flownfrom...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Quezon City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Haven't tried their beach or pool area, so can't comment on that.

The rooms are okay. Suites are big enough, however, when it rained heavily our balcony flooded.
Reaching the room's carpeted floors. :(

Staffs are very nice and accommodating. Breakfast buffet is good too.

A bit far from the main road, will trouble you... if you are not good w/ directions or not familiar w/ the area. Good if you are after for peace and quiet.

Room Tip: If you are going out w/ the family get the suite! :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

On the positive side, this hotel is in one of the most quiet places in Mactan. You're away from the incessant noise of beeping taxis, from the ubiquitous fumes which are a hallmark of this country. And the sea view is nice.
But the resort itself is a disaster. The toilet stopped working about 10 p.m. I called downstairs. A hapless maintenance guy tried, and achieved nothing. The front-desk lady vaguely told me that there is a water problem with the hotel.
In addition, there is no wifi in the rooms, and no business center. If you want to use the Internet, you must sit in the lobby where endless waves of super-noisy guests from South Korea and China pass through or sit down.
The breakfast buffet is one of the worst anywhere. Same awful-looking and -tasting food every morning. Very poor maintenance of the food stock and counters. They run out of the main offerings an hour before the service closes, and you have to plead for a re-supply. As ever in the Philippines, the staff sweetly smiles and uses deferential language. Most charming. But the toilets are crap, and so is the food.
In fairness, when I spoke with the available supervisor, I was taken very seriously, and treated well. The actual manager and owner, of course, were nowhere to be found.
A fish rots from the head down.

• Stayed August 2013
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've had the chance to stay in Soto Grande Hotel & Resort for two nights with my family. It was not our choice to stay there, but we were forced by circumstances because we were attending a wedding ceremony in a nearby hotel. Despite the fact that it has an extremely poor location, several tourists still chose to stay in the hotel. It's probably because the hotel is advertised as a luxurious and elegant resort. It has clean, spacious, and well-furnished rooms though. There were also several amenities that you can enjoy during your stay.

One of the things I dislike about this hotel is that it's extremely hard to locate. We went in and out of the hotel using our private car. At night, the road to the hotel was dark and there's not enough sign to provide direction to the guests. We got lost several times, and to us, it seemed unsafe to get lost in the area.

Before we had our check-out, we had a terrifying experience in this hotel. We all got up early on our last day so as not to miss our flight on our way back home. It was around 4AM. When some of our family members took the elevator to go down to the lobby, there was a power interruption. There were eight of them who got trapped in the elevator for more than five minutes. When we sought help from the reception area to ask how to rescue them. The hotel employees obviously did not know what to do. We had to figure out ourselves how to get them out.

The hotel is quite expensive, but I must admit that there are much better hotels in the nearby area that would give you value for your hard-earned money. I can honestly say this based on first-hand experience since I've had the chance to stay in other four or five-star hotels in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kristiansund, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is in the outskirts from central Cebu. If you're going alot to the big malls etc, don't stay there.

The only pro is that the pool area is very nice, the beach is not.

The staff are a little bit rude and stared a lot on my kid that have a handicap.

Room is tidy, nice and have a ok size. But don't leave any food in the open because then you will have ants crawling there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a corner
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I just spent two nights here and it was a dreadful experience.
The beach is covered in trash and rotting seaweed two feet high making it impossible to swim. Most hotels in Mactan suffer the same problem but all you have to do is hire a couple of locals for a few hundred pesos to clean the beach daily. I don't understand why this hotel allows the beach to stay so dirty and neglected.
There is no wifi in the rooms. You have to go down to the small lobby and sit with the other guests on a sofa. In this day and age there is no excuse for not having internet access in the rooms. I've been in small provincial hotels that provide excellent wifi service, and a resort hotel in Mactan charging the rates that Sotogrande does should be able to install wireless routers for the convenience of its guests. Oh, and if you do use the wifi in the lobby they have the annoying policy of changing the password every day. This is unfathomable to me since the hotel is in an out of the way location and there is nobody to steal the signal.
Finally, the food service is terrible to non existent. Our first day I called room service for dinner and the staff person who answered slammed the phone down on me. I thought that was strange, but shrugged my shoulders and my girlfriend and I went down to the restaurant to eat. We were then told that since the hotel was hosting a function the restaurant would not be serving any guests and we were told to eat somewhere else. Bear in mind that the only other business around was a nearby hotel with considerably higher prices. I complained forcefully to the front desk but they were unmoved. We we allowed to eat breakfast in the restaurant the next day but the food was lukewarm and tasteless.
If you look at my other reviews you'll see that I travel a lot in the Philippines and my postings tend to be rather forgiving. I understand that I am in a developing country and allowances have to be made but the service at this hotel was atrocious, the worst I have ever come across. If you want to stay at a beach resort where you can't use the filthy beach and they refuse to serve you food, the Sotogrande is the dump that you've been looking for.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the miserable, poorly run hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#13 of 27 in Lapu Lapu
3.5 of 5 stars 294 reviews

Been to SotoGrande Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!