Sotogrande is a slightly well known brand in Spain, and you'd associate it with reasonably good quality. Stayed only our last night in Cebu there, as it was near to the beach and the airport. As my title suggests though, only the rooms were nice...
- The high floor sea facing suites are really worth it. The professional photos don't present the actual (large) size of the suite - it actually has its own living room and dining area, with a separated bedroom. Nice furniture overall. The full length glass windows gave us a very good view of the sea (see picture). As we came as a party of 3, we got the hotel to arrange for an additional bed in the living room area and the night's stay just costed usd100 for 3 persons, which I find really reasonable. The only pity is that the view was blocked by the hotel's recreational clubhouse (see picture).
- Yes, it does have a very small stretch of private beach but it is really not nice. Our initial plan, upon seeing the private beach on the hotel's checklist, was to just relax on their private beach on our last day in Cebu. But we were rather disappointed to find out that their private beach was only 50 metres long, the sand wasn't nice, and the view was entirely blocked by a full concrete dock built right beside the beach. Nah we decided not to even step on the beach in the end.
Hotel grounds/ overall
- Breakfast was not too bad, it wasn't a wide spread but the food was fresh and the chef at the eggs live station made really delicious eggs
- Service was ok, as they were all warm and friendly, and we can tell they do put in effort to help whenever we had any requests
- We explored the grounds and realised the Sotogrande Hotel was just next to its sister building, a luxury condo under the same management. Now the part we felt cheated was, the large, two-layer pool shown on their professional photos actually belongs to the condo side, and not the hotel side. Sure, hotel guests were allowed to use that pool since it is under the same management, but it was a good 5 min walk from the hotel, and we had to go through the gates / another security to get to that pool. It just wasn't a nice experience should we decide to use that pool. We could still use the much smaller, sea-facing pool though.
- Given how secluded the hotel was, we didn't leave the hotel grounds the whole day, and we decided to stay for dinner. It may be their off-peak season, as there were just 2 tables having dinner there. But I wonder if it is because there were so few guests, they actually didn't turn on the lights of the cafe area, and so we opted to sit al fresco facing the dimly lit pool. We tried ordering a few Filipino favourites but were told they don't have them. And because there were so few customers, and we were sitting alfresco, we became the public enemy of the nearby mosquitoes. Argh, not nice.
- It is actually rather near to Shangri-la Mactan so you can imagine that it really is at a good location.
- However, it is really hard to find - our cab driver had to ask a few villagers, and true enough, the entire establishment was well hidden beyond a large, seemingly abandoned land, so it it pretty secluded
- If you like a really private stay, cheap, with an ok pool and beach, then this is the place for you.
- Probably not, because despite the nice rooms and breakfast, the place is really secluded and doesn't have a nice beach nor nice overall atmosphere that makes you wanna just lie around, read a book and spend the day away.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your SotoGrande Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sotogrande Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Sotogrande Hotel And Resort
- SotoGrande Hotel & Resort Cebu Island/Mactan Island