“small cramped rooms, bed smells bad, old and dingy” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Le Carmen
21 Juana Osmena Street, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #62 of 78 Hotels in Cebu City
Manila Philippines
“small cramped rooms, bed smells bad, old and dingy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

my family and i saw the website and the reviews. at first we wondered why there were no pictures of the actual room on the site but let it slide. BIG MISTAKE. upon our arrival, we were puzzled as to why the cab driver stopped. then, we saw that hotel carmen was not actually along the street, it was in a narrow alley-way (eskinita) with a cheap sign painted on the cement wall leading you there.

the room was so small. it's about the size of my bathroom back home, or 1/3 the size of your average classroom. AND THIS WAS THE FAMILY ROOM! mom and dad shared the "double" bed and i was on the "twin" bed but they were practically the same size. space between the beds was like 10 inches apart and you cant really walk around the room without bumping into each other. it's so annoying that they publish it as a family room when it looks like they just stuffed as much furinture as they can (two beds, one closet which was right beside a desk and on top of the desk was the tv which was beside the door. across this cramped mess were the beds, which had a weird smell and made us unable to rest properly. can u picture how small it is?

btw, beside the closet is the wall.on the wall is a very tiny aircon but it was cold so thts ok. but below the aircon on the wall is a tiny door that says "fire escape". totally freaked me out and made me feel like tiny dwarves were gonna come in at the middle of the night. i mean shouldnt the fire escape be outside the rooms? this is like creating an alternate entrance to the room, compromising the safety of the guests.

the bathroom- shower looked ok, the blue tiles were the saving factor. however the toilet seat was yellow and cracked. i dont understand why the people reviewed it as "new" when it looked rotting and old.

the pictures on their site are definitely deceptive. i suggest asking them to email you actual pics of the rooms u wanna book if u plan to stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Le Carmen for 7 nights from March 4th to March 11th for a friend's wedding. I really liked the location. It was within walking distance to great restaurants, grocery stores, and Robinson mall which has tons of cute stores and restaurants also. There are also tons of taxis right outside the hotel if you want to travel farther away. Our room was very clean, had hot water and was air conditioned. It was crazy hot outside!! So it was nice to come back to an air conditioned room. There's a little convenience store in the front of the hotel where I was able to buy water and snacks after a long day out and about. My husband superly liked the free wi-fi internet connection and he especially liked the room price because he's so frugal. I was scared because it only costs 25 dollars per night so I was thinking what the heck kind of place are we gonna stay in that's only 25 dollars a night? I mean I was thinking it would be yucky, but it wasn't at all. We stayed in a room with a King Sized Bed and it had a HUGE bathroom. I loved the decor. It had a picture of Marilyn Monroe in the room and was decorated in a modern style. The staff speaks very good English and were very friendly and helpful to me and my husband. We would definitely stay here again if we come back to Cebu.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

The booking ahead is useless. They cancel your booking eventhough you double check with them 3 days before you arrive. If you really want to stay in hotel Le Carmen... prepare some near by hotel lists.

We booked 3/11 & 3/14 each night for two budge rooms. They cancel my booking for the dealy check in on 3/11, we 4 people stay in the family room which they only left. The bed is too small for two person. When we check out on 3/12, I had double checked with reception of my two budget room on 3/14, the reception answered me there is no problem. When we back to this hotel on 3/14, the reception told me" there is no available rooms for you" without any apology. They ask us to take one family room and one budget room or 4 people stay in the family room again..... This is soooooo bad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Shanghai China / USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

I stopped in 5 other hotel/hostels in this area, compared prices and locations. This one seemed to be the best choice. I read the other reviews and they are pretty well on line with what you get. Room was clean and bathroom was sanitary w/hot water. Staff was helpful with any questions given. I really liked the location.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
siargao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

On our first day of arrival, we were checked in at 7 Am and asked for a deposit and was told to come back before noon as our room is still occupied. At 9 am I called if our room is ready, (its not) she just promised to text me as soon as its vacated. Me and my husband both lugging our heavy laptop and two energetic kids we went back in the hotel at 1:30 pm even if she still havent texted me back. Then we have to wait at the lobby for 30 more minutes (its almost 2 pm) as they just started cleaning our room. Our room is deluxe with balcony 1350 php + 150 per night for a small ref we requested. For a family of four, the receptionist suggested we get this room instead as it would be more spacious than family room. I dont know how it got more comfortable with just two single beds for the 4 of us. The balcony is facing the setting sun and most of the time the thick curtain is just closed or else we get sunburnt. Cabinet door hinge is broken, insignificant but annoying for me who always tidy things up. Tiny warm blanket for a blasting good brand aircon. Well. fit for our tiny beds anyway. Getting inside the hotel entrance is an adventure too, dodging parked cars being washed, you gotta be ready to hang on to something should you slip on the inclined wet driveway. I had to admit I really hate the driveway and its the only entrance/exit to the hotel. Guys always lined up sitting/chatting and sometimes could overhear side remarks. On the 3 days we stayed, we never had any housekeeping who came or ask if we want the room cleaned. With two kids and mc donalds or pizza delivery every meal, the trash is piling up as fast as Im leaving it outside our door, so on the 3rd day early morning I scheduled for a clean up at 12 noon, I was answered with a cheery "no problem maam". At 12:45 I did a follow up and was answered by a disbelieving chuckling voice "its still lunch time maam". I now realized why we were only allowed in our room at 2 pm in our first day before. On the good side, nice big bathroom and fast wifi connection.

Stayed November 2008
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

New hotel. Very comfortable. Great location. Close to a major supermarket, shops, restaurants, money changer, etc, etc. Had a very convenient small shop/store in front of the hotel where one coule buy food, drinks, mobile phone load, etc, etc. Hotel staff were great. Very safe and secure with night security guard always on duty.

• Liked — Great location, helpful staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

The hotel is about five floors with four rooms per floor. It is owned by a Philippina who worked as a nurse in the USA so the standards are high and the rooms are neat and clean. It's in a great location within walking distance of many eateries and other hotels. We paid 1550 pesos per night at 40 pesos to the US dollar. There is a real shower in the bathrooms and not a "flood the bathroom" type shower. The TV includes about 40 channels with HBO and Cinemax which is excellent. There is a security guard at the front door which is normal for the Pilippines so security is good given the small size of the place. The air con worked very well. Only problems were no frig in room, no in room safe and not much shelf space in the bathroom. Plenty of hot water in the shower. The room was fairly large. The staff is very friendly. It can be a little noisy although it is off the main street a bit. It's just a very busy neighborhood. It isn't too far to pier 4 if you plan to go to other islands from Cebu. Taxi from the airport was 200 pesos with some hard bargaining.

• Liked — Lots of TV channels in English
  • Disliked — No frig in room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Le Carmen? Share your experiences!